Windows 10: Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows

Discus and support Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro. Every night I put the computer to sleep.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sean.hudson, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows

I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro.

Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior:

• Whatever monitor is my main display works perfectly
    • Secondary monitors turn on and show the last content they had (any open browsers, programs, etc)
    • I can move my mouse into the secondary screens and see it moving around just fine
    • When I click or do any kind of interaction on those screen, the visuals do not update (again, mouse around moving is fine)
      • Click a window, the window focus never shows; scroll or press a button on a website, doesn't show any changes; click the Windows button, menu doesn't open
    • However, I can still interact with the screens despite not being able to see what I'm changing
      • Drag a window off the screen and it magically appears on the main display; press the 1-Click buy on an Amazon item, receive it 2-5 business days later
    • Changing the main display changes the screen I can interact with
    • Mucking with the resolution of the secondary monitors does not fix the issue but it does update their visuals
    • Display driver details:
      • Date: 2018-11-12
      • Version: 25.21.14.1694
    • I am in the process of downloading NVidia 2019 drivers to see if that helps

The only fix I've found so far (with my limited experience debugging display issues) is restarting the computer. Help!

:)

sean.hudson, Feb 15, 2019

2. Dual Monitor setup, main display is unresponsive/frozen.

So I have just encountered a problem with my main monitor freezing. On the frozen monitor, I can move my mouse cursor and can see it moving onscreen, but I cannot interact with anything on that screen, no clicks work regardless of if I am interacting with
    the desktop or a window above that desktop. If I use the keyboard controls, however, I can move the windows around. If I do the click drag, I also can drag across to the frozen desktop, but only if I start the click drag on the working desktop.

I have restarted the computer, restarted explorer.exe, changed which monitor is the main display and it's always the main display that is frozen. If I make my secondary monitor the main display, that is the monitor that frozen.

Any help? Thanks.

Meeesh11011, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Frozen

Screen says RECOVERY It looks like windows didn't load correctly. Cannot choose either choice shown because mouse does not work on frozen screen. Cannot start in SAFE mode or use any suggestions from microsoft community because it's frozen. Help!

LaurieDito, Feb 15, 2019
  4. ET125 Win User

Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows

Frozen Mouse

If mouse is frozen I can't select from the device manager options

ET125, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows

1. Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows - Similar Threads - Secondary display content

2. Frozen display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frozen display: My laptop screen keeps freezing but I can still move my mouse and sometimes interact with open applications but my display doesn’t show my interacting with anything it only shows my mouse moving and I am pretty sure it only happens when I put my cpu through a decent work...
  3. Frozen display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frozen display: My laptop screen keeps freezing but I can still move my mouse and sometimes interact with open applications but my display doesn’t show my interacting with anything it only shows my mouse moving and I am pretty sure it only happens when I put my cpu through a decent work...
  4. Frozen display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves: Hi so I’ve been having issues installing my graphics driver. From the app, it would just tell me “installation failed” so I tried to download the driver from the official site and install it manually. However, now my pc is frozen. I can’t click on anything, I can’t open the...
  6. Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Frozen but mouse still moves: Hi so I’ve been having issues installing my graphics driver. From the app, it would just tell me “installation failed” so I tried to download the driver from the official site and install it manually. However, now my pc is frozen. I can’t click on anything, I can’t open the...
  7. Cannot interact with open windows. Windows are NOT frozen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot interact with open windows. Windows are NOT frozen.: Lemme explain. My computer has recently started running into this issue where suddenly all open windows will lose almost all interactivity. I cannot click any options in the upper bar, so I cannot minimize, nor close, nor resize a window. In fact I cannot click any options...
  8. Computer is frozen But mouse still moves

Computer is frozen But mouse still moves: My computer is frozen on the whole screen. I can move the mouse around but I can't click anything. This happened a few times now. In the past, I pressed the reboot button of the computer then everything was back. But I had a bad result after restarted the computer. The Word...
  9. Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitors - Secondary display appears frozen, but still responsive: Hey everyone, Hopefully you guys can help me out. I've just recently started having issues with the display of my second monitor, but have not been able to find a fix as of yet. Basically, after awhile my second monitor will appear to freeze, though I can still drag my...
  10. frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod: Today I had a frozen display mouse cursor and in the process of troubleshooting I experienced multiple bsod. The preliminary misbehaving software was Speed Fan by whocrashed. The software was uninstalled and reinstalled and when using it with Intel processor diagnostic tool...