Windows 10: Secondary display with 2 GPU's

Discus and support Secondary display with 2 GPU's in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; SO I have recently purchased a laptop for work/gaming/AutoCAD. it has an integrated Intel UHD 630, and a secondary GTX 1060. I need to have 2 displays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TensorClaus, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Secondary display with 2 GPU's

SO I have recently purchased a laptop for work/gaming/AutoCAD. it has an integrated Intel UHD 630, and a secondary GTX 1060. I need to have 2 displays running as I need the screen real estate, THough my secondary display is **** compared to the one on the laptop yet my GTX says it's running the secondary display on Nvidia Control panel, will this affect my gaming/AutoCAD experience and if so is there any way i can male the intel graphics run the monitor and have the GTX run the original.

:)

TensorClaus, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Zeond1987 Win User

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Aug 14, 2019
  4. Secondary display with 2 GPU's

having issues with multi GPU

I’m trying to offload certain apps to my iGPU on the second screen, using the new graphics settings in the recent win 10 release. the issue is it’s only showing my 1070. lists it as both power saving GPU, and
    high performance GPU.

I’ve been fiddling for a while now with no joy, and i’m really hoping one of you guys has an idea they can suggest to sort this!

I can extend onto the second screen no probs with it plugged into the iGPU, but the 1070 is still listed as both power saving GPU and high performance GPU.

Are there requirements for this? certain level of iGPU for it to work?

Thanks

Edit - setting the secondary screen connected to the iGPU to be the "main" display in graphics settings makes my iGPU show as both power saving and high performance GPU, I just can't seem to get them
    to be one and not the other.

GaryDougall, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Secondary display with 2 GPU's

1. Secondary display with 2 GPU's - Similar Threads - Secondary display GPU's

2. GPU not displaying

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU not displaying: Hello there I have a old system and recently I reapplied thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. I tidied up the cables and turned the pc on. After turning on I updated the graphics driver and everything worked fine until about 15 minutes later the display stopped getting any...
  3. GPU not displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU not displaying: Hello there I have a old system and recently I reapplied thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. I tidied up the cables and turned the pc on. After turning on I updated the graphics driver and everything worked fine until about 15 minutes later the display stopped getting any...
  4. GPU not displaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't use secondary display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use secondary display: I am not able to use my secondary display. A Window is able to navigate to my secondary display, but I get the error message saying Out Of Range. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-secondary-display/2988fdd6-08af-4948-ac01-f1dc742be6d8
  6. Secondary GPU not appearing in graphics settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary GPU not appearing in graphics settings.: Hi, I just updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10, as far as I know everything went well, then after I wanted to launch a game. When I wanted to launch a game, it will use my integrated graphics and not my graphics card. I am suppose to run it on my AMD Radeon HD...
  7. Secondary Chromebook Display?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary Chromebook Display?: i want to use my (school) chromebook as a secondary display for my windows 10 desktop. trick is, with it being a chromebook not owned by me, i can't download third-party apps of any sort. is there any way to connect it via VGA, DVI, or USB? i'm not too advanced with tech, so...
  8. Display on secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display on secondary monitor: My second monitor is going black one second after i connect it and i bought a new adapter and it still does the same thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-on-secondary-monitor/05501634-4ccf-4520-90f8-6975d9ad7e35
  9. Notifications Displayed on secondary monitor, when I use 2 monitors in "extended display"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Notifications Displayed on secondary monitor, when I use 2 monitors in "extended display": Hi all, I always use 2 monitors with windows 10 in Extended Display mode and I had never seen this issue that I have now, since last upgrade in windows 10. My problem is: I have extended displays and main monitor (1) is screen laptop, this is marked as "main" like you can...
  10. Windows Store games and secondary GPU

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows Store games and secondary GPU: Hello, I want to run some games from the Windows Store. I am afraid that those games will run *Always* with the MAIN GPU (in my case a poor Intel HD) but I want them to run with my great NVIDIA secondary GPU!!! How to achieve it? 82130

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows view secondary gpus