Windows 10: Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

Discus and support Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm having an issue where folders stored at the root of my secondary drive (W: in my case) are displaying on the desktop. For example, if I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ZacharyBurnham, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

I'm having an issue where folders stored at the root of my secondary drive (W: in my case) are displaying on the desktop. For example, if I have a directory called W:\foo, a folder named 'foo' will show up on my desktop. The Properties window shows the location correctly (W:\), but I don't understand why it's showing up on the desktop as well. Is there a fix for this?

:)

ZacharyBurnham, Jun 9, 2019
  2. gypsycomp Win User

showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, Jun 9, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

There are two tools essential tools that everyone one should always have - Macrium Reflect Free and a dishwasher. *Smile.

cereberus, Jun 9, 2019
  4. jkteddy77 Win User

Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

Hmm, which is faster. I attempted a Live Linux Drive already but it was very slow and would not boot, not to mention I don't know a thing about using linux.

Would option 2 be easier? I looked at Macrium, but the install steps themselves are confusing me, and I fear not knowing how to navigate it once I boot to it.

EDIT: I installed Macrium Reflect Free, went through these steps to create the media.
    Don't forget to check the UEFI/MBR box if you are attempting this yourself.
    I then booted to it, "browsed my files for an image", but for real, navigate to the WindowsApps folder on your secondary drive, and delete it. It doesn't disappear instantly, but when you exit the drive, and log back into windows, the folder will be gone.

Thanks for the suggestion cereberus!

jkteddy77, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop

1. Secondary drive folders in root are showing on desktop - Similar Threads - Secondary drive folders

2. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  3. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  4. Is there a way to show desktop items on secondary monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to show desktop items on secondary monitor?: Hi, I have Windows 10 with 2 monitors in extension mode; when I download, copy/paste a file, or create a link to the desktop it goes directly on the primary monitor by default. It will be useful for me if there was a way to make those files moved directly on second monitor...
  5. Suspicious folders in the root of my D: drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Suspicious folders in the root of my D: drive: So I was going through my D: drive which is where I install all of my games and I noticed two folders named System and System64. Both were last modified 6/10/2020. All the files within System64 were last modified and created on 6/9/2016 and all the files within System were...
  6. msdia80.dll in the root folder of a secondary drive used only for file storage (movies,...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    msdia80.dll in the root folder of a secondary drive used only for file storage (movies,...: I have no applications installed in the drive, nor did i install any application in my PC before this showed up. Why did this happen? What is the appropriate action to do? submitted by /u/Failed_Roast [link] [comments]...
  7. User folders in root C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folders in root C: drive: In my new Windows 10, these folders were generated: Intel PerfLogs Program Files Program Files x86 Users Windows Is there a policy of users generating new folders in this root C: drive? On my old W7 PC I had several folders in C:, providing a shorter path for...
  8. Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop folders not showing in that folder in C: drive: Hello, As the subject line describes the folders on my desktop do not appear in the "desktop" folder under my user folder in the c: drive. This is affecting my ability to back up properly through file history. Does anyone know why this might be occurring? To explain it...
  9. showing the total of folders/files in drive root

in Windows 10 Support
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root: Properties are shown differently for folders and roots. Root properties only shows used and free space. Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders. Questions: 1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive? 2...
  10. Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting the WindowsApps folder on secondary drive?: I set the Storage option for Windows Store to start installing apps too my D:/ Because of that, it created a folder called WindowsApps. Now it's time that I want to delete that folder, and all access is denied. I tried changing the permissions to my admin account and...