Windows 10: Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission.

Discus and support Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, need help on getting permission to D:\ drive, access denied. I installed windows 10 on a new SSD which is currently my drive C:\. There was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Perseides, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Perseides Win User

Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission.

Hello, need help on getting permission to D:\ drive, access denied.

I installed windows 10 on a new SSD which is currently my drive C:\. There was a windows 7 which was on drive D:\ but I never uninstall it. Drive D:\ was working normally until during boot today windows decided to do a checkdisk on drive D: (dont know the cause), which tried to repair it.

Currently I totally cannot access my drive D:\.
    Tried to grant permission to myself to assess it but failed, keep having errors such as this:

Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission. [​IMG]

Anyway i can solve this problem?
    (sorry if wrong subforum or poor editing). Thanks for the help in advance!

:)

Perseides, Aug 12, 2015
  2. noocm Win User

Problems with application manager

i try what you said but it show

unable to lock the download directory

unable to lock the list directory

could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock -open (13 permission denied )

noocm, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Idiots guide to XTerm required...

Typed "apt-get install gnome-python" in XTerm, and got:

"Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied)

Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?"

Stumped again...:smileysad:

montana_uk, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission.

Hi

I've also had this happen on a Number of Computers in the past and its quite a hard one to get out of, although you could try booting in Safe Mode.

Having been caught out by this a few times, nowadays I keep nothing of any real significance on my Computer, everything I do is Backed up on an External Hard Drive.

As if this kind of thing happens to me I prefer to do a Clean Install, in order to eliminate any corrupt files that may make it happen again at some time in the future.

But if I want to Stop (Check disk CHDSK) from pulling that stunt again, this is what I do.

Start>cmd (right Click) Run as Admin.

cmd>chkntfs /x c:>(hit enter)>(type)exit>(hit enter)

There is a space between chkntfs (and) /

There is also a space between x (and) c:

Its always worked for me in the past although I haven't tried it out on Windows 10.

Backing Up all your Files/Photos etc is really something everyone should get in the habit of doing every time.

Cyberdesigner, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Perseides Win User
    So there is no way to retrieve data from the D: drive besides accessing it with other OSes like ubuntu?

Perseides, Aug 12, 2015
  6. While I can't think of a better way of doing what you suggested, may be someone else can.

But because I have all my Data Backed up on an External Hard Drive, if I get a problem then I much prefer to Format the Drive and Start all over again.

But Only because I've Backed Up all my Data/Photos/Files etc.
    Its just 'My' Personal Preference that's all.

Cyberdesigner, Aug 12, 2015
  7. NUS
    Nus Win User
    No, you will be able to do it in Windows, you just need to persevere down the route you are going.

Take ownership of the drive root with your user account name, have 'replace child permissions' checked. Press continue on any error messages. After you've got ownership apply full permission to your user account.

There are a few other scenarios where you may need to do some slightly different things in the ownership/permissions dialogues. But, ultimately you will be able to get control, even if you have to activate the super admin account.

8. Perseides Win User

I think I have take ownership of the drive but still can't access it?
    I don't understand what is happening.

Still unable to access drive D:\

0 bytes in Drive D:\ ???

But I think I have full security permission to access the files....

What is it that I'm doing wrong? =(

Perseides, Aug 13, 2015
  9. figment Win User
    I had this problem too. First you'll want to right click and click on properties, go to the advanced security tab. Note what is shown as owner. Click on change owner, advanced, find now. Find your username on the list and click okay. Check the box that says "replace owner on subcontainers". Apply. After that is done you need to add the following with full permissions in the advanced security permissions tab: System, Administrators (Plural) and "your username". Be sure to check the box to "replace permissions on subcontainers" before hitting apply.

figment, Aug 13, 2015
  10. Perseides Win User
    Ok, thanks for the instructions. Problem solved.

How do I prevent this from happening again? Delete the windows files? Reformat?

Perseides, Aug 13, 2015
  11. NUS
    Nus Win User
    It shouldn't happen again now that you've set the correct ownership/permissions for your system.

12. flhthemi Win User
    It will happen again IMHO. I think it's a bug. I had/have it too. Seems there is some problem in dual booting or in win 7 being there. My system has a drive tray for C: and I swap between Win 10 and Win 7 installed on different drives. going back and forth seems to be an issue with permissions for the two OSs and my D drive.

flhthemi, Aug 13, 2015
  13. figment Win User

Sorry for the late reply.

A couple of things I wanted to mention:

You may wish to change the owner of your root d: drive back to "System", without checking "replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Also, you may wish to change the owner for "System Volume Information" and the "recycle bin" back to "System" this time replacing the owner on subcontainers, etc. I'm not sure this makes a difference, but I did this on my two affected d: and e: drives.

This problem should not recur on a drive level unless you reinstall Windows or add a new (or re-used) drive to your current OS.
    There is, however, a rather severe and recurrent bug related to OneDrive on many systems which can cause the security permissions to reset for certain user files and folders every reboot. I started a thread on the Microsoft Security boards that addresses the issue and outlines my fix. The boards appear to be down right now, so I'll add a link later if you wish...let me know!

figment, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Secondary Drives is locked, assessed denied. Unable to get permission. - Similar Threads - Secondary Drives locked

2. Permission denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission denied: I am not able to use anything on my pc except the browser everytime I click on something it says permission denied and you don't specific path and u don't have app associated with it I am not able to use click on window search window button my computer only thing. Is working...
  3. Permission denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission denied: I am not able to use anything on my pc except the browser everytime I click on something it says permission denied and you don't specific path and u don't have app associated with it I am not able to use click on window search window button my computer only thing. Is working...
  4. Permission denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied: I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied, even though I didn't change the administrator permissions, it locked the drive and it is not accessible. Will it be accessible if I reinstall windows not keeping any data or is it locked...
  6. How to remove assess denied messages?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove assess denied messages?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Comboxer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxv5s6/how_to_remove_assess_denied_messages/
  7. Permission denied on external drive (SD card)

Permission denied on external drive (SD card): States permission denied and that to fix go to properties and look for the security tab. There is no security tab in the properties! I have no clue what to do next! This card worked before!...
  8. Permissions denied

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions denied: I reinstalled win 10 and since then I am not allowed to open folders. Each time I have to release access by opening Properties, etc. I am the administrator and I want to have full access to EVERYTHING. How should I proceed, please?*Mad 130871
  9. Permissions denied

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Permissions denied: I reinstalled win 10 and since then I am not allowed to open folders. Each time I have to release access by opening Properties, etc. I am the administrator and I want to have full access to EVERYTHING. How should I proceed, please?*Mad 130871
  10. Can not save to network drive, permissions denied

Can not save to network drive, permissions denied: Another problem out of nowhere. A USB stick on a Linksys router used as a network drive. Suddenly, can not save to the drive, and PC says "permission denied." Can find no way to change permissions. Get error message: "An error occured while applying security information -...