Windows 10: Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

Discus and support Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've Googled all over and found some things about this but never an actual solution. I think it is permissions based. Here is the deal. Our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dEaFTOLiGhT, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

Hi,

I've Googled all over and found some things about this but never an actual solution. I think it is permissions based. Here is the deal.

Our organization branched off from another company and now are our own entity. They removed our computers from their domain and put admin accounts for me to set up for everyone. I migrated the profiles of everyone with ProfWiz. I have an SSD on my workstation, so all my documents and work is on an HDD which is my D drive. When I first started, I had to take ownership of the drive, because even though Administrators was had full control, which my user was part of, I still wasn't able to modify or write any files. The current owner was "Unknown" at the time.
    Some of the files wouldn't even view... I even ended up having to give my user full control of the Users folder (despite the fact that Administrators had permissions).

Now; however, the D drive has been removed from the indexing options. I've tried Show All Locations, but it doesn't do anything. All my libraries point to the D drive, and I noticed my libraries aren't even in the indexing options. When I try to add stuff in the D drive, it doesn't even appear:

Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify [​IMG]

I know that the profile migration and removal from the domain screwed with permissions and this is probably why.

Can anyone help me get this to index again? Thank you.

:)

dEaFTOLiGhT, Oct 5, 2017

2. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Try to add your secondary drive in the indexing options.

Type in the Indexing options in the start search box and click on Indexing options from the search bar results.

Click on Modify on the Indexing options window. (Enter

Check the secondary drive (which you need to fetch the results from the search box) and click on OK button. (If the secondary drive is not visible, click on Show all locations, enter the administrator credentials if prompted))

Now, try to search and check if you are able to fetch the results.

Also make sure you take ownership of all the folders on the second drive.

Restart then it should hopefully start working.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 5, 2017
  3. John Sarc Win User
    How to make Windows Search look in all drives with "Best Match"

Let's try re-modifying or re-adding your secondary hard drive to the Indexing option of your computer. See the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel
    • Change the view to Large icons; then,
      click on Indexing Options > Modify > Show all locations.
    • On Indexed Locations, select the folders and drives you want to give Cortana permission to search.
    • Click on OK.

Note: It may take some time so we suggest to check it time to time.

Let us know if this steps work.

John Sarc, Oct 5, 2017
  4. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

Open the Command Prompt as administrator and execute following command:

Code: takeown /f D: icacls D: /grant everyone:F[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 5, 2017
  5. Grant everyone? I don't want to grant everyone permissions.... I just want it to operate as my C drive does, without having to allow everyone access.

dEaFTOLiGhT, Oct 5, 2017
  6. Execute following command to grant currently logon user account a full permission.

Code: icacls D: /grant %USERNAME%:F[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 5, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    My D:\ drive, which does appear in the list of available indexing locations, has the following security settings
    (right-click on D:\ in This PC and select Properties).

Owner: SYSTEM

Permissions:

Authenticated Users: modify, read & execute, list folder contents, read, write
    SYSTEM: full control
    Administrators: full control
    Users: read & execute, list folder contents, read

There are no other entries in the list.

Bree, Oct 5, 2017
  8. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

It randomly reappeared today when I checked. I have no idea why.

dEaFTOLiGhT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

1. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify - Similar Threads - Secondary Hard Drive

2. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  3. Secondary drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary drive not showing up: I installed a secondary SSD into my Ideapad gaming 5 laptop and set it up properly but upon restart it would show up about half the time in bios but would not appear in device manager or disk management. is there any way to fix this that doesn't involve me reinstalling...
  4. D: drive not showing up

D: drive not showing up: I have a dell G5 5590 laptop. I turned on my laptop to find the D: drive completely missing after using it normally the day before. I even went into disk management and it's not showing there either. Shown below is what comes up....
  5. D: drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D: drive not showing up: I have a dell G5 5590 laptop. I turned on my laptop to find the D: drive completely missing after using it normally the day before. I even went into disk management and it's not showing there either. Shown below is what comes up....
  6. external hard drive not showing up as option to install

external hard drive not showing up as option to install: i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer either....
  7. external hard drive not showing up as option to install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not showing up as option to install: i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer either....
  8. secondary hard drive clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  9. Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D: I cant access my external drive and it shows as local disk D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-shows-up-as-local-disk-d/ea2327aa-81a2-488d-9d37-f833daab3f4b
  10. D: hard drive is not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    D: hard drive is not showing up: I have a laptop and my D: hard drive (1TB) is not showing up in the explorer nor device manager (I also try with diskpart but is not showing there either). device manager and diskpart Before this happened I was playing a videogame, but this crash because it could not load...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. drives not visible in indexing option