Windows 10: Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Discus and support Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I formated my secondary hard drive, that means absolutely no data is currently being inside. The drive is excluded from Windows indexing and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shenmue is life, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Hi,

I formated my secondary hard drive, that means absolutely no data is currently being inside. The drive is excluded from Windows indexing and I programmed my drives to sleep after 1 minute for test purposes.

When the drive occasionnally wakes up, Process Monitor doesn't find any suspicious related process.
    "QueryOpen" or "CloseFile" operations can be read but they do occur when I open a new Windows Explorer window and have usually no waking effect on the drive.

:)

Shenmue is life, Nov 16, 2018
  2. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Nov 16, 2018
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    How to use secondary hard drive?

Click on the start icon. Start typing Optimize. The app at the top of the list should be Defragment and Optimize Drives. Click on that to open it. Do you see Solid State Drive listed anywhere under Media Type?

Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep Since Anniversary Update

I'm reposting this issue because I marked the previous as answered but the problem returned.

Since updating my system with the W10 anniversary update (build 1607) I'm having this issue:

ONE of my secondary hard drives (a Toshiba P300) disappears after the system wakes from sleep, both from windows explorer and from device manager. If I reboot the system it reappears. The other 'data'
    hard drive is always present. Even an external hard drive is always present.

It's happening on a desktop, I have an SSD with the OS and apps and a couple of hard drives for data.

There are a lot of mentions of a secondary drive disappearing like that on previous versions of Windows but I couldn't find anything on the net about the anniversary update causing it.

I've tried maximising (10000000 minutes) the value for turn hard disc after in the power options and the computer never goes to sleep if I don't make it. I don't have bitlocker enabled on any of the drives,

really hope someone can help

system is:

i5-3470

16gb ram

w10-pro 64bit

samsung 850evo

seagate 1tb

toshiba p300 3tb

monsieurdecca, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

1. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason - Similar Threads - Secondary hard drive

2. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  3. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  4. How to stop Windows from regularly waking up a secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Windows from regularly waking up a secondary hard drive?: Searching the internet about this question there seem to be tons and tons of people with the same problem, and it seems that nobody knows a definitive answer. In fact, I have seen this asked in this very forum, and people from Microsoft themselves don't seem to know an...
  5. How to stop Windows from regularly waking up a secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Windows from regularly waking up a secondary hard drive?: Searching the internet about this question there seem to be tons and tons of people with the same problem, and it seems that nobody knows a definitive answer. In fact, I have seen this asked in this very forum, and people from Microsoft themselves don't seem to know an...
  6. How to stop Windows from regularly waking up a secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. secondary hard drive clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  8. Hard Drive keeps waking up for no reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Drive keeps waking up for no reason: So to make this easy on everyone, I removed the drive letter to my hard drive.And it still spins up for no reason.Gigabyte Aurora Elite Intel 10th gen.All Microsoft drivers as far as storage goes.. Why???...
  9. Windows 10 Randomly Waking up Secondary Hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Randomly Waking up Secondary Hard drive?: I have a primary ssd and a secondary hdd in my system, the latter set to turn off after 20 minutes. But it would randomly spin back up and then repeat. How do I fix that? submitted by /u/harold_liang [link] [comments]...
  10. Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep: After the most recent update (1809), when waking from sleep Windows can't find my secondary drive. If I reboot it's back again, but having to do a reboot after sleep is NOT convenient! I was an earlier post that this problem occurred before (think it was 2016). I have a...