Windows 10: Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Discus and support Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I formated my secondary hard drive, that means absolutely no data is currently being inside. The drive is excluded from Windows indexing and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Shenmue is life, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Hi,

I formated my secondary hard drive, that means absolutely no data is currently being inside. The drive is excluded from Windows indexing and I programmed my drives to sleep after 1 minute for test purposes.

When the drive occasionnally wakes up, Process Monitor doesn't find any suspicious related process.
    "QueryOpen" or "CloseFile" operations can be read but they do occur when I open a new Windows Explorer window and have usually no waking effect on the drive.

:)

Shenmue is life, Nov 16, 2018
  2. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Nov 16, 2018
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    How to use secondary hard drive?

Click on the start icon. Start typing Optimize. The app at the top of the list should be Defragment and Optimize Drives. Click on that to open it. Do you see Solid State Drive listed anywhere under Media Type?

Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep Since Anniversary Update

I'm reposting this issue because I marked the previous as answered but the problem returned.

Since updating my system with the W10 anniversary update (build 1607) I'm having this issue:

ONE of my secondary hard drives (a Toshiba P300) disappears after the system wakes from sleep, both from windows explorer and from device manager. If I reboot the system it reappears. The other 'data'
    hard drive is always present. Even an external hard drive is always present.

It's happening on a desktop, I have an SSD with the OS and apps and a couple of hard drives for data.

There are a lot of mentions of a secondary drive disappearing like that on previous versions of Windows but I couldn't find anything on the net about the anniversary update causing it.

I've tried maximising (10000000 minutes) the value for turn hard disc after in the power options and the computer never goes to sleep if I don't make it. I don't have bitlocker enabled on any of the drives,

really hope someone can help

system is:

i5-3470

16gb ram

w10-pro 64bit

samsung 850evo

seagate 1tb

toshiba p300 3tb

monsieurdecca, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason

1. Secondary hard drive is waking up for no reason - Similar Threads - Secondary hard drive

2. Computer wakes up seemingly for no reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes up seemingly for no reason: It's not updating, the mouse and keyboard are off, so why is it waking up? 140067
  3. Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing: Set up: Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 520 Type 81BF Processor: Intel i7 8550u RAM: 16 GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD Software: Windows 10. OS is on SSD. Laptop running fine for over 1 year and suddenly when computer restarted HDD missing...
  4. Choosing a new desktop hard secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Choosing a new desktop hard secondary drive: I am running a SSD drive for my operating system, and my 320 GB 5400 RPM secondary drive is getting quite full. I am a big fan of Western Digital drives, and when I saw this add yesterday for a Western Blue 1TB 7200 RPM drive at a good price, I thought this might be a good...
  5. Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary Hard Drive Disappears After Wake From Sleep: After the most recent update (1809), when waking from sleep Windows can't find my secondary drive. If I reboot it's back again, but having to do a reboot after sleep is NOT convenient! I was an earlier post that this problem occurred before (think it was 2016). I have a...
  6. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised: After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive! How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie....
  7. Secondary hard drive filling up-system restore files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Secondary hard drive filling up-system restore files?: I built this computer about 6 months ago. I have a 500 GB M2 SSD as my C drive. I partitioned a 1TB HDD into 2 500 GB drives J and K. I am using the K drive for windows image backup trying to avoid the backups filling up my secondary drive but it still happening on the J...
  8. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...
  9. How to use secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to use secondary hard drive?: Hi guys. First post here. I recently (two days ago as of this post) received my new PC. My primary hard drive has about 230GB of storage, whereas my secondary hard drive has roughly 980GB. I was wondering if someone could please help me and tell me how I can boot my new...
  10. Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify

in Windows 10 Support
    Secondary Hard Drive D:\ Not Showing Up in Indexing Options Modify: Hi, I've Googled all over and found some things about this but never an actual solution. I think it is permissions based. Here is the deal. Our organization branched off from another company and now are our own entity. They removed our computers from their domain and...