Windows 10: Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing

Discus and support Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Set up: Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 520 Type 81BF Processor: Intel i7 8550u RAM: 16 GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by i1000, Jun 30, 2019.

1. i1000 Win User

Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing

Set up:

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 520 Type 81BF
    Processor: Intel i7 8550u
    RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX150
    Hard Drive: 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Software: Windows 10.

OS is on SSD.

Laptop running fine for over 1 year and suddenly when computer restarted HDD missing from File Explorer.

HDD was not showing in Disk Management but it did used to come in Device Manager (hidden)

Tried out all of these below repeatedly in different sequences:
    1. Windows update
    2. Driver updates from Lenovo, Intel and 3rd party apps
    3. Uninstall from Device Manager (hidden in Disk Drives, Portable Devices, Storage Devices etc)
    4. Registry repair using Tweaking.com app
    5. Windows start up repair option
    6. Command prompt - Check disk, scannow
    7. Safe Mode
    8. Uninstalled unnecessary apps, disabled 3rd party antivirus
    9. Run Malwarebytes
    10. Different BIOS Settings, changing sata controller

2 times during Restart the disk was detected and working fine but disappeared during restart. While the disk was detected complete Disk Test was done using Lenovo utility, Windows Disk Check, Defragment, Command prompt check disk, scannow was also done all were fine.

Last thing done was restart with Boot Log:
    The following drivers did not LOAD according to it

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wd\WdFilter.sys
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\NDProxy.sys
    BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

All of these were mentioned multiple times in the Log. The start up time (boot time) is fine. No issues with it.

The Driver List from System Information has been attached.

Please let me know if any additional details are required.

:)

i1000, Jun 30, 2019
  2. lvr181 Win User

Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive.

Win10 does not "see" it!
    But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive!

How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie.

Thanks.

lvr181, Jun 30, 2019
  3. SSD Detected - Secondary Drive (Hard drive) is not

Ever since doing a fresh install of Windows 10, in "This PC", my secondary hard drive is not in the list. I have already tried right clicking "This PC" and clicking Manage -> Disk Management, but there is nothing there except my SSD with Windows 10 installed.

I have tried changing SATA cables, SATA ports, but it still does not appear in This PC. I have also tried installing my hard drive on a another computer to see if the files were corrupted. They were not, all files were still the same before the installation
    of Windows 10. I did not leave the hard drive plugged in during the installation.

In the BIOS, my computer recognizes both my SSD and my hard drive, but in This PC, it's still missing.

Anything else I can do? Thank you! Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing :)

LitePenguins, Jun 30, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

How to use secondary hard drive?

Click on the start icon. Start typing Optimize. The app at the top of the list should be Defragment and Optimize Drives. Click on that to open it. Do you see Solid State Drive listed anywhere under Media Type?

Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Secondary Hard Drive suddenly missing - Similar Threads - Secondary Hard Drive

2. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  3. accident with secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    accident with secondary hard drive: hello! i've been encountering issues with my hard drive. i accidentally deleted the partition on my other hard drive that i believe manages knowing what other partitions are and their file types.i now have a disk that has a 340gb partition without a file system that doesn't...
  4. My Hard Drive suddenly missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Hard Drive suddenly missing: Hello, I was downloading games on my pc until suddenly my D drive just disappeared. It was working fine until now. I unplugged my drive and plugged it in again, I went to the Disc Management and scanned for drives, and tried to follow the instructions on this community, but...
  5. My Hard Drive suddenly missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Hard Drive suddenly missing: Hello, I was downloading games on my pc until suddenly my D drive just disappeared. It was working fine until now. I unplugged my drive and plugged it in again, I went to the Disc Management and scanned for drives, and tried to follow the instructions on this community, but...
  6. secondary hard drive clean up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive clean up: Hello. dell g7 laptop 120g ssd 1tb hd. 3 years. cant count all the games/launchers that came & went. Did clean win10 install, Saved nothing wrongfully assumed it would wipe both hard drives.. Uninstalled all xbox/steam games before clean install. just to speed up process....
  7. In-place upgrade on secondary hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-place upgrade on secondary hard drive?: I have a two SSDs in my computer with windows 10 installs on them, lets call them A and B. Something is wrong with startup files on B and no matter what i try, i cant boot into it. I can boot into A however, and can access B once inside of A and access all of B’s files. I...
  8. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  9. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised: After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive! How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie....
  10. Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone secondary hard drive to new hard drive: Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go to keep the User folder...