Windows 10: Secondary HDD not turning off

Discus and support Secondary HDD not turning off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ibritumomab, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Secondary HDD not turning off

Hey guys,

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on.
    I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the latter runs at 7200rpm and is quite loud and my laptop is otherwise pretty much completely silent (when I turn the fan on stealth mode) I had created a power profile for studying that turns off hard drives after 1 minute of not using them and with windows 7 that worked just fine.
    Now though, my secondary HDD never turns off. I checked task manager and ressource monitor and found that my pagefile was on my secondary so I moved that to my SSD, but now it still doesn't turn off, even when Task manager and ressource manager tell me nothing has accessed it for several minutes.

Do you guys have any other idea what might be causing this or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Ibritumomab, Jul 29, 2015

2. Secondary HDD not turning off

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run Clean Boot and check if it helps.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Also run the Power Troubleshooter:

Power troubleshooter will automatically fix some common issues with Power Plans. Run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long
    the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.
    Delete the current power plan and create it again. Refer to the following link to change the power plan to suit your needs.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq Refer to the section:
    How to create and delete a power plan

Refer the link below, which helps in deleting, creating, and changing power settings.

Power plans: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/power-plans-faq

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Secondary HDD not turning off

Hey guys,

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on.

I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the latter runs at 7200rpm and is quite loud and my laptop is otherwise pretty much completely
    silent (when I turn the fan on stealth mode) I had created a power profile for studying that turns off hard drives after 1 minute of not using them and with windows 7 that worked just fine.

Now though, my secondary HDD never turns off. I checked task manager and ressource monitor and found that my pagefile was on my secondary so I moved that to my SSD, but now it still doesn't turn off, even
    when Task manager and ressource manager tell me nothing has accessed it for several minutes.

Do you guys have any other idea what might be causing this or how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Ibritumomab, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Obreon Win User

Secondary HDD not turning off

Just registered to say that I'm having exactly the same problem. Set the HDDs to power down after one minute in the power options which worked perfectly in Windows 7.

I find that it powers down briefly after the operating system is restarted but then powers up again after about 5 minutes and stays on. Sometimes it will turn itself off again after a while and sometimes it won't. It doesn't sound like it’s actually doing anything but I can hear it spinning.

I use the HDD as a backup drive for my SSDs (scheduled daily, not on demand) but I'm going to be disconnecting it if this continues.

I'm guessing that some service must be activating them…

Obreon, Jul 30, 2015
  5. mertzi Win User
    Hello! Another one here with spin down problems. I have an Intel NUC with an mSATA SSD as OS disk and a WD scorpio blue 2,5" as secondary drive, spindown set to 1 minute. Occasionally it spins down, but not within 10 minutes. And often I find the disk to be spinning (it overpowers the fan noise quite a lot) when I haven't used the NUC for several hours or a day. Prior to windows 10 I had windows 7 and it always spun down after a minute. The driver for the WD disk is from June 21 2006, isn't this odd? I don't think the blue line was introduced until 2009.

mertzi, Aug 13, 2015
  6. hmm so maybe this is a WD issue? My secondary HDD causing the problem is also a WD, black line.

Ibritumomab, Aug 17, 2015
  7. So my HDD finally turned off for a while today so I started the ressource manager to monitor whatever might wake it back up and when it did spin up again (without me opening anything) I found this:

Secondary HDD not turning off [​IMG]

Does anyone know what that runtime broker is and why it's accessing my picture folder?

8. Secondary HDD not turning off

runtime broker is used by the apps, I believe it manages background activity

if this is accessing your pictures library, have a check in the new photos app, see if it is set to look at pictures folder on external drive, sounds like it is background scanning for new images

paulsalter, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Yeah I've already had the same idea. I didn't want to exclude pictures from my hdd from the app because what would be the point of having it then, but what I did do 10 minutes ago is deactivate the live tile (didn't realise it was active before because it never showed anything) in the start menu and that seems to have done the trick - my hdd powered down soon after and hasn't turned on again so far!

10. another one you might want to check (if you haven't already)

check out settings and then privacy, look for background apps and turn off photos so that it wont run in the background

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Secondary HDD not turning off

1. Secondary HDD not turning off - Similar Threads - Secondary HDD turning

2. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  3. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  4. Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor: Hello,I tried to google this issue but all I got were posts from ~2018, and about vga.I have main monitor connected by display port and a new secondary monitor also connected by display port.Frequently both monitors flicker to black which is something I've heard a friend with...
  5. Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor: Hello,I tried to google this issue but all I got were posts from ~2018, and about vga.I have main monitor connected by display port and a new secondary monitor also connected by display port.Frequently both monitors flicker to black which is something I've heard a friend with...
  6. Secondary monitor turning off while gaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary monitor turning off while gaming: Hello. I got a second monitor today,a cheap one just so i can manage spotify,OBS and watch Twitch chat while streaming. The problem is the secondary monitor keeps turning off when i'm In-game... I tried everything making the secondary one my main one still turns off when i...
  7. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  8. Secondary monitor display turns off automatically

Secondary monitor display turns off automatically: I have a Dell laptop with 2 extra monitors. Everything has worked fine for a couple years and noticed about a month ago, I will be working along and everything looks up for about a second and my extra 2 displays go dark and anything on them has moved over to my laptop...
  9. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...
  10. Win keeps turnning HDD on/off

Win keeps turnning HDD on/off: When i set this for my secondary HDD change advanced power settings Turn off hard disk after 4 mins Windows randomly keeps turning the disk back on and off again.Which cant be good for the disk. I want it to stay off until i need to use it.Is that possible? Or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn off secondary hdd windows 10