Windows 10: Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off

Discus and support Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The issue: The other day, I forget why/how, but my secondary monitor (on the right) has begun changing its resolution when the TV above my setup is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/comrade-pancake, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off

The issue: The other day, I forget why/how, but my secondary monitor (on the right) has begun changing its resolution when the TV above my setup is turned off. It's weird, to say the least.
    imgur.com/a/qI9NQCP

Note that this monitor is 1440x900, and that is the maximum resolution. I've noticed in Windows 10 settings that there is now a 1600x1200 option, and when selected the screen appears to be stretched a little; just doesn't look right at all.

When the third monitor is on/off, the monitor remains in the same settings according to Windows and AMD drivers. I have updated my AMD drivers, as well as rebooted.

Everything stays the same- except for the display. It's rather irritating, to say the least about it.

My current temporary fixes involve:
    - leaving the tertiary monitor/TV on (not optimal)
    - finding a way for Windows to always recognize this device as existing even when it's disconnected (even less optimal).

If anyone has ever run into this issue and knows a fix, or just knows a fix in general, please let me know how to. It's super annoying.

Thanks for your time!
    (If it's necessary to state, the monitor is an Acer P191W, the GPU is a RX 480 8GB, and the cable connecting the two is a HDMI to DVI (which has never had past issues before, and I've been using it on this same monitor since late January; different monitor since some time last year.)

submitted by /u/comrade-pancake
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/comrade-pancake, Mar 12, 2020
  2. riley1232 Win User

Dual Monitors, Keeping Same Resolution

I have a laptop with a resolution of 1600 by 900 and I am connecting it to an external dell monitor to duplicate the displays. 1600 by 900 isn't supported on the list of resolutions after the monitor is connected, so I created a custom one in the Intel graphics properties after connecting the monitor. It seems to have set the custom resolution, however the laptop display still is blurry and does not look like it does when the external monitor is disconnected. Are there any other settings that need to be changed? I do not care if the external monitor is distorted, I just need the full resolution on the laptop.

riley1232, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Setting Up A Older Secondary Monitor

ok decided to reopen in the hopes someone might have a solution for a new issues i noticed. when i do a restart the secondary monitor takes over, and not until windows is about to go to the desktop does the secondary monitor turn off and the primary display turn on. i would think there is some way to make the default monitor stay on during a reboot. any suggestion would be great. thanks

main monitor dvi to hdmi on video card
    secondary monitor dvi to dvi

xXWhackerXx, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Suman_B Win User

Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off

Secondary Monitor Blurry

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the secondary monitor is blurry when connected to laptop, In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, we would need some information.

1. What is the version and
      build of you operating system? In the Search
      box, type winver to get this info.
    2. Are you aware of any changes made on your computer before this issue occurred?
    3. May I know the Make and the model of the Laptop and the Monitor?

Method 1: Check the Cable.

Try changing the cable connecting the external monitor. If the new one works, you know the previous cable was faulty.

Method 2: Connect external monitor with a different system.

Try using the external monitor with a different system. This can help to isolate whether the issue is with the monitor or the primary system

Method 3: Set same resolution on both the monitors.

Suggest you to refer this article to Change screen resolution.

Method 1: Update Video driver.

1. Press
    Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Device manager from the context menu.

2. Expand
    Display adapter, right click on the installed video card driver and select
    Update this software from the context menu.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update to complete.

4. After the update is complete, close the window and check if the issue is resolved

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off

1. Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off - Similar Threads - Secondary monitor's resolution

2. Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor: Hello,I tried to google this issue but all I got were posts from ~2018, and about vga.I have main monitor connected by display port and a new secondary monitor also connected by display port.Frequently both monitors flicker to black which is something I've heard a friend with...
  3. Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 flickering/turning off secondary monitor: Hello,I tried to google this issue but all I got were posts from ~2018, and about vga.I have main monitor connected by display port and a new secondary monitor also connected by display port.Frequently both monitors flicker to black which is something I've heard a friend with...
  4. Secondary monitor turning off while gaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secondary monitor turning off while gaming: Hello. I got a second monitor today,a cheap one just so i can manage spotify,OBS and watch Twitch chat while streaming. The problem is the secondary monitor keeps turning off when i'm In-game... I tried everything making the secondary one my main one still turns off when i...
  5. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  6. Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open apps move to secondary monitor when displays are turned off: Whenever I turn off my monitors, all open apps move from monitor 2 (my primary display) to monitor 3. This only happens when the computer is NOT sleeping during the time the monitors were turned off. Does anyone have a solution to this or at least a way to quickly bring...
  7. Dual Monitor keeping secondary monitor(turned off) active/alive

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor keeping secondary monitor(turned off) active/alive: Hello, i have following problem i would like to fix. First my scenario. I use Windows 10 OS with 2 monitors. My primary monitor is turned on and my second monitor is turned off. I programmed a application that starts other applications and moves them to the second...
  8. Dual Monitor keeping secondary monitor(turned off) active/alive

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor keeping secondary monitor(turned off) active/alive: Hello, i have following problem i would like to fix. First my scenario. I use Windows 10 OS with 2 monitors. My primary monitor is turned on and my second monitor is turned off. I programmed a application that starts other applications and moves them to the second...
  9. Secondary monitor display turns off automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary monitor display turns off automatically: I have a Dell laptop with 2 extra monitors. Everything has worked fine for a couple years and noticed about a month ago, I will be working along and everything looks up for about a second and my extra 2 displays go dark and anything on them has moved over to my laptop...
  10. Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen resolution changes when monitor is turned off: Hi guys. First off lemme start by praising the people who run and post on this board, it's an endless mine of informations and a never ending academy for learning all the tips and tricks of anything pc-related...so keep up the good work guys! Unfortunately I'm writing here...