Windows 10: Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

Discus and support Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time. Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tjpsnj, Dec 9, 2017.

1. tjpsnj Win User

Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time.
    Windows 10 boots and works fine so I know the OS and TPM have the correct information or the system would not boot.
    However the HP recovery Partition D:\Recovery is not matching the TPM [I think]. For example if I attempt to boot F11 to the recovery partition, I get 0xc0000225 error instead of booting to the recovery options. The other symptom that produces no valid solution when searching is Windows 10 constantly warning the recovery disk is low on space. This causes a chronic warning that D:\Recovery is low on disk space. Not the actual problem.
    How do I restore the boot files for the recovery system in case of a failure that requires reinstall of the factory installed OS in the future?
    I have tried:
    Booting to the the recover disk via recovery option after hitting escape during the post.
    This provides the 0xc0000225 error message which indicates that the efi needs to be set to match the TPM information
    Selected the diagnostic tests in startup options.
    100% perfect condition. I do not have a hardware error. The Recovery partion boot information is not recognized like I said before.
    Completed all available updates in the HP Assistant.
    Success!
    Windows updates apply successfully.
    Success!
    I have noticed in Windows Disk Management
    Name Drive Size Type
    260 MB Basic data partition
    341 MB EFI system partition
    Recovery (D*Smile D:\ 10 GB Basic data partition
    Recovery (D*Smile D:\ 10 GB Basic data partition
    Windows (C*Smile C:\ 221 GB Basic data partition
    One of the Recovery D:\ is active the other is dead space and cannot be deleted or anything.
    So in short, how does one clone a disk with secure boot and have all the space on disk usable if the manufacturer does not supply the OS installation files except in a recovery partition?
    Thanks,
    TP

:)

tjpsnj, Dec 9, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

virtual drive

You need to use software that can clone the Disc, including the Boot Sector!

That disk will have data written to the boot sector which the Windows Virtual Drive will not see and therefore the Program will realise the actual disk is not in your PC

DaveM121, Dec 9, 2017
  3. virtual drive

I'm using poweriso right now i dont know the other programs unfortunately

damn so close, Dec 9, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

This sounds a bit of a mess partition wise.

Post image of partitions from disk management.

cereberus, Dec 10, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Recovery partition contents are not visible to normal Windows explorer.exe -- one has to use special 3rd party utilities for that.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled - Similar Threads - Sector Sector Clone

2. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....
  3. file sector is unreadable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file sector is unreadable: I opened my laptop to discover the dreaded blue screen, tried several things like 'reset the pc' but that led nowhere. On running chkdsk, found many 'file record segment is unreadable' messages that ended with 'insufficient disk space to insert the index entry. failed to...
  4. file sector is unreadble

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file sector is unreadble: I opened my laptop to discover the dreaded blue screen, tried several things like 'reset the pc' but that led nowhere. On running chkdsk, found the 'file sector is unreadable' option and the disk wasn't scanned fully before the battery died. Ran chkdsk again now and it says...
  5. Loss of computer boot sector.

Loss of computer boot sector.: Hi, I have a very important problem. My computer lost all of it's data after I shut it down, because of lag. It sent me to Automatic Repair, and I tried restarting/shutting down the computer, and it done the same thing. I tried all of the ways to repair it. I even tried...
  6. CI.dll problem, maybe boot sector problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CI.dll problem, maybe boot sector problem: Can one of you folks take a look at this thread: BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a especially during shutdown It has a problem with CI.dll which is often caused by a boot sector virus. TDSSKiller from Kaspersky can fix it if that is the cause but I'm leery of...
  7. Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free software to repair hard disk bad sectors: Can some one advise the best free software to repair hard disk bad sectors. It should not be a trial version for repairing only one or few bad sectors. 50493
  8. 4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive

4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive: I was cleaning up one of my systems & uninstalled Roxio Creator 2012 & Divx as I not need it & after uninstall my system became slow & bad response & did a chkdsk & says found orphaned file etc. & did a chkdsk /f & restarted & fixed problem but when i did a chkdsk again it...
  9. Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.: May I get an interpretation, please? I am running HD Tune on my external drive. The health report show that I have 26 damaged sectors. That seems low, yet still unwelcome. It's a remarkable old Seagate Free Agent - a refurbished replacement as part of my original warranty...
  10. How can I fixed Boot Sector?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I fixed Boot Sector?: Previous window 7 ultimate was worked in my PC. I have tried to change from W7 to W10, after 2 attempt to installed new window, there is notification showing "Boot Sector has been Damaged". How can I fixed it? 83991