Windows 10: Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

Discus and support Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time. Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tjpsnj, Dec 9, 2017.

1. tjpsnj Win User

Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time.
    Windows 10 boots and works fine so I know the OS and TPM have the correct information or the system would not boot.
    However the HP recovery Partition D:\Recovery is not matching the TPM [I think]. For example if I attempt to boot F11 to the recovery partition, I get 0xc0000225 error instead of booting to the recovery options. The other symptom that produces no valid solution when searching is Windows 10 constantly warning the recovery disk is low on space. This causes a chronic warning that D:\Recovery is low on disk space. Not the actual problem.
    How do I restore the boot files for the recovery system in case of a failure that requires reinstall of the factory installed OS in the future?
    I have tried:
    Booting to the the recover disk via recovery option after hitting escape during the post.
    This provides the 0xc0000225 error message which indicates that the efi needs to be set to match the TPM information
    Selected the diagnostic tests in startup options.
    100% perfect condition. I do not have a hardware error. The Recovery partion boot information is not recognized like I said before.
    Completed all available updates in the HP Assistant.
    Success!
    Windows updates apply successfully.
    Success!
    I have noticed in Windows Disk Management
    Name Drive Size Type
    260 MB Basic data partition
    341 MB EFI system partition
    Recovery (D*Smile D:\ 10 GB Basic data partition
    Recovery (D*Smile D:\ 10 GB Basic data partition
    Windows (C*Smile C:\ 221 GB Basic data partition
    One of the Recovery D:\ is active the other is dead space and cannot be deleted or anything.
    So in short, how does one clone a disk with secure boot and have all the space on disk usable if the manufacturer does not supply the OS installation files except in a recovery partition?
    Thanks,
    TP

:)

tjpsnj, Dec 9, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

virtual drive

You need to use software that can clone the Disc, including the Boot Sector!

That disk will have data written to the boot sector which the Windows Virtual Drive will not see and therefore the Program will realise the actual disk is not in your PC

DaveM121, Dec 9, 2017
  3. virtual drive

I'm using poweriso right now i dont know the other programs unfortunately

damn so close, Dec 9, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

This sounds a bit of a mess partition wise.

Post image of partitions from disk management.

cereberus, Dec 10, 2017
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Recovery partition contents are not visible to normal Windows explorer.exe -- one has to use special 3rd party utilities for that.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled - Similar Threads - Sector Sector Clone

2. boot-sector virus.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    boot-sector virus.: so this thing lives in the X: Boot partition and I have been going at removing it for quite some time and no worky, I tried complete format, low-level format, deleted "system volume information" it did seem to help, I dont think the virus is active anymore, updated BIOS from...
  3. Hard disk, Sector errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard disk, Sector errors: Hi,I see some 3 bad sector errors in my hard disk.. what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-sector-errors/77709397-fe1c-4d38-ad1a-a08c5ec9176d
  4. Problems with boot sector

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with boot sector: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  5. Boot Sector on Wrong Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Sector on Wrong Drive: Recently I bought and SSD to upgrade from my HDD. I had window installed on the HDD and when I went to install windows on the SSD, I didn't unplug the HDD so windows assigned the boot sector for the SSD to the HDD. Now I want to delete the windows installation from my SSD,...
  6. Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size: [ATTACH] Got an SSD as a gift. Now I'm trying to clone my Win10 from my old HDD to the SSD with Macrium Refelect but this happened. Any work around for this? Or any other cloning software I can use? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks! ^^...
  7. disk cloning failed to write bad sector

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disk cloning failed to write bad sector: I got a new Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and I have been trying to clone my system over to it. I have used softwares like Macrium Reflect and easeus but they all end up giving me a "failed to write bad sector"message. I have an Asus UX501V Notebook and my installed SSD is a...
  8. Missing Boot Sector

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing Boot Sector: Hello, I have gotten into some complications with my Windows 10 install with missing a boot sector after performing these steps:- 1. Cloned my Windows installation with Acronis True Image tool from my hard drive to my m.2 SSD 2. Deleted partitions and formatted the hard...
  9. Boot sector

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot sector: In someone reason boot is maked on disk 1, not in disc 0????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-sector/c24b6009-9c7b-4b82-957d-e41eb5ecbc2b
  10. Loss of computer boot sector.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of computer boot sector.: Hi, I have a very important problem. My computer lost all of it's data after I shut it down, because of lag. It sent me to Automatic Repair, and I tried restarting/shutting down the computer, and it done the same thing. I tried all of the ways to repair it. I even tried...