Windows 10: Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

Discus and support Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I'm becoming more and more confused over TPM and perhaps to a lesser extent on Secure Boot. Sure, I've got both enabled on my PC but exactly what do... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TraceyW, Jul 15, 2021.

1. TraceyW Win User

Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

Hi I'm becoming more and more confused over TPM and perhaps to a lesser extent on Secure Boot. Sure, I've got both enabled on my PC but exactly what do they do, particularly TPM? Yes, the TPM stores keys (or parts of keys) and generally provides a higher level of security of which I fully approve. However, what I'm uncertain of is: what does it do to the System Disk? I've heard all sorts of people imply that it actually encrypts the system drive but I've not found anything definitive about this. I've read many articles hoping to get the answer but no-one is saying anything about this so can it be assumed that it doesn't encrypt the System Drive? What I do know is that it enables a disk to be encrypted using Bitlocker but beyond this I have little idea what it does. One thing I'm sure of is that the TPM does a lot more than my current understanding suggests. There's also the question of what should be done when installing a new OS, Windows 11 for example. Should both Secure Boot and the TPM be disabled? Are there any other times that these two items should be disabled, for example when stripping the PC down ready for a re-build? Perhaps both items should be disabled before doing anything which changes its configuration, e.g. installing a new GPU or even a hard drive/SSD. I just don't know what the implications are with both Secure Boot and TPM enabled. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me on this matter and perhaps point me towards web pages that may explain it and help clear up my confusion. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. Tracey PS I'm currently on the latest version of Windows 10 (21H1) with all updates installed as they come in.

:)

TraceyW, Jul 15, 2021

2. TPM update

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread but whatever, laptop informed me that " a firmware update is needed for you security processor (TPM)," now, i looked up what to do and from a microsoft support thing, the last step says to clear the tpm. it has a warning saying to back up my data, i would like to know what clearing the tpm does, and what measures i need to take to make sure nothing goes wrong.

ReeeeallyThough, Jul 15, 2021
  3. Update your security processor (TPM) firmware

Is it just piece of cake or is this operation dangerous? I'm afraid to loose all my encrypted data???

3. Clear your TPM

Important

Before clearing your TPM, be sure to back up your data.
    Do not clear the TPM on a device you do not own, such as a work or school PC, without being instructed to do so by your IT administrator.

Follow these steps to clear your TPM:

1. Go to Start > Settings >
      Update & Security > Windows Security >
      Device security
    2. Under Security processor, select
      Security processor details
    3. Select Security processor troubleshooting, and then under
      Clear TPM, select Clear TPM.

Your device will need to restart before the process is complete.

FinnSvenning, Jul 15, 2021
  4. Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

1. Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive) - Similar Threads - Secure Boot TPM

2. What is secure system?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is secure system?: its unverified. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-is-secure-system/aff85fe7-0ae1-4f2d-8902-ba88c8770b4e
  3. Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0: When I enable Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 on my computer I don't get a signal to my monitor and my computer won't post. I just got a new motherboard and don't want to risk enabling these settings on my computer because it might not give a signal again. Although I tried clearing...
  4. Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0: When I enable Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 on my computer I don't get a signal to my monitor and my computer won't post. I just got a new motherboard and don't want to risk enabling these settings on my computer because it might not give a signal again. Although I tried clearing...
  5. Secure boot and TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot and TPM: So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need to enable TPM. There's a catch tho, when I went to the BIOS it says that my "Network Boot Protocol" is set to "Legacy IPv4",...
  6. Secure boot and TPM

Secure boot and TPM: So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need to enable TPM. There's a catch tho, when I went to the BIOS it says that my "Network Boot Protocol" is set to "Legacy IPv4",...
  7. Secure boot and TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. what does clean boot do?

what does clean boot do?: what does clean boot do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-clean-boot-do/d6972687-5e57-4473-8d2e-d0ec21ae372f
  9. My PC does not boot, what to do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My PC does not boot, what to do?: Hi, I was playing with friends yesterday until the round stopped loading and I restarted the PC. Now my PC does not want to start. [ATTACH] I also tried the BIOS and it didn't work. Does anyone know what I can do now? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does unchecking "Backup system files to the recovery drive" do?: I'm trying to create a recovery for my Windows 10, and during the process I get an error saying that: "We can't create the recovery drive: A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." With some searching, I found that a common way to fix the error is to un-tick the...