Windows 10: Secure boot and TPM

Discus and support Secure boot and TPM in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BotazTheFirst, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Secure boot and TPM

So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need to enable TPM. There's a catch tho, when I went to the BIOS it says that my "Network Boot Protocol" is set to "Legacy IPv4", altough I clean reinstalled my Windows 10 with UEFI mode. I thing because of this the Secure Boot option is grayed out and I can't access it. There's also a setting called "Legacy Support" which is set to Enabled. I need help with this please.P.S. I can enable TPM, I'm just curious and scared to mess something up.

:)

BotazTheFirst, Oct 8, 2021

2. TPM update

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread but whatever, laptop informed me that " a firmware update is needed for you security processor (TPM)," now, i looked up what to do and from a microsoft support thing, the last step says to clear the tpm. it has a warning saying to back up my data, i would like to know what clearing the tpm does, and what measures i need to take to make sure nothing goes wrong.

ReeeeallyThough, Oct 8, 2021
  3. Update your security processor (TPM) firmware

Is it just piece of cake or is this operation dangerous? I'm afraid to loose all my encrypted data???

3. Clear your TPM

Important

Before clearing your TPM, be sure to back up your data.
    Do not clear the TPM on a device you do not own, such as a work or school PC, without being instructed to do so by your IT administrator.

Follow these steps to clear your TPM:

1. Go to Start > Settings >
      Update & Security > Windows Security >
      Device security
    2. Under Security processor, select
      Security processor details
    3. Select Security processor troubleshooting, and then under
      Clear TPM, select Clear TPM.

Your device will need to restart before the process is complete.

FinnSvenning, Oct 8, 2021
  4. Secure boot and TPM

Secure Boot and TPM (what does it do to the system drive)

TPM is as you surmised a key generator/ storage device, it does not encrypt the system disk. I have updated Windows, the motherboard BIOS, upgraded Windows builds, clean installed Windows (booting from a USB flash drive), booted with a Macrium boot USB, imaged Windows from a 2.5" SSD to a new NVME drive and booted no issues.... all without turning secure boot off or messing with the TPM settings (default to on).
    Some implementations of secure boot may require it to be disabled while booting from a USB as some people have suggested in these forums when trying to clean install Windows, I personally have never had to change any settings.

Pejole2165, Oct 8, 2021
Thema:

Secure boot and TPM

1. Secure boot and TPM - Similar Threads - Secure boot TPM

2. TPM 2.0 Enabled but Secure Boot State off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM 2.0 Enabled but Secure Boot State off?: So I am trying to install windows 11 and I'm struggling to figure out how to get secure boot enabled. I have CSM disabled and enabled secure boot in the BIOS but system information is still showing it to be off. My system is formatted GPT as well so i am struggling. Any help...
  3. Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0: When I enable Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 on my computer I don't get a signal to my monitor and my computer won't post. I just got a new motherboard and don't want to risk enabling these settings on my computer because it might not give a signal again. Although I tried clearing...
  4. Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Secure Boot and TPM 2.0: When I enable Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 on my computer I don't get a signal to my monitor and my computer won't post. I just got a new motherboard and don't want to risk enabling these settings on my computer because it might not give a signal again. Although I tried clearing...
  5. No TPM and Secure Boot options in BIOS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No TPM and Secure Boot options in BIOS in Windows 10: Hello, I tried turning on TPM and SB on my Windows 10 computer, but there are no such options. BIOS is under the UEFI, but Secure Boot is unsupported. TPM isn't in the BIOS....
  6. No TPM and Secure Boot options in BIOS in Windows 10

No TPM and Secure Boot options in BIOS in Windows 10: Hello, I tried turning on TPM and SB on my Windows 10 computer, but there are no such options. BIOS is under the UEFI, but Secure Boot is unsupported. TPM isn't in the BIOS....
  7. TPM and Secure Boot, Is it worth a reinstall for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TPM and Secure Boot, Is it worth a reinstall for Windows 10: Hi, excuse my lack of knowledge, if this is a dumb question or if it’s been answered already, I searched but nothing came up.Is there enough security benefit in running TPM and Secure Boot on Windows 10 to warrant all the pain involved in a clean install?With the current...
  8. TPM and Secure Boot, Is it worth a reinstall for Windows 10

TPM and Secure Boot, Is it worth a reinstall for Windows 10: Hi, excuse my lack of knowledge, if this is a dumb question or if it’s been answered already, I searched but nothing came up.Is there enough security benefit in running TPM and Secure Boot on Windows 10 to warrant all the pain involved in a clean install?With the current...
  9. Secure boot and TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot and TPM: So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need to enable TPM. There's a catch tho, when I went to the BIOS it says that my "Network Boot Protocol" is set to "Legacy IPv4",...
  10. Secure boot and TPM

Secure boot and TPM: So I don't know if this is a problem or I'm just stupid, but I want to upgrade to Windows 11. The thing is that my processor isn't supported and I need to enable TPM. There's a catch tho, when I went to the BIOS it says that my "Network Boot Protocol" is set to "Legacy IPv4",...