Windows 10: Secure boot failing after update KB4462918

Discus and support Secure boot failing after update KB4462918 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have a significant number of the Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 32 bit tablets in our environment. Recently we have encountered an issue where devices that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidHenderson6, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Secure boot failing after update KB4462918

We have a significant number of the Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 32 bit tablets in our environment. Recently we have encountered an issue where devices that were configured to use secure boot are unable to boot into windows and receive a message "Operating System Loader signature not found in SecureBoot Database ('db')." on startup. Disabling secure boot does allow these machines to successfully boot into windows, but this is not a solution.

Currently it appears that this issue is being caused by windows updates, specifically KB4462918 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86 Systems.

I have not seen any other reports of this issue outside of this model device.

The system will boot up after the update is installed, but once the user reboots the machine again they are greeted with this message and are unable to boot into windows.

Removing the update after disabling secure boot also does not allow you to then re-enable secure boot.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with this windows update?

Is this a known issue? If so is there a work around or a fix?

:)

DavidHenderson6, Oct 17, 2018

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Oct 18, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Secure boot failing after update KB4462918

Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Secure boot failing after update KB4462918

1. Secure boot failing after update KB4462918 - Similar Threads - Secure boot failing

2. SECURE BOOT VIOLATION on MSI MODERN 14 after Windows 11 update failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SECURE BOOT VIOLATION on MSI MODERN 14 after Windows 11 update failed: Upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 on MSI Modern 14 earlier this year via Update assistant. I saw the latest Windows 11 22H2 update and put the MSI modern 14 to upgrade via Windows 11 Installation Assistant downloaded from Microsoft...
  3. Laptop will not boot after failed update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop will not boot after failed update.: I'm having a serious issue right now with my laptop. I THINK it tried to install an update which failed while I was away from home and now I'm stuck in a loop. Very frustrating to say the least! So, I turn the laptop on and it attempts to run diagnostics, then gives me an...
  4. Laptop will not boot after failed update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop will not boot after failed update.: I'm having a serious issue right now with my laptop. I THINK it tried to install an update which failed while I was away from home and now I'm stuck in a loop. Very frustrating to say the least! So, I turn the laptop on and it attempts to run diagnostics, then gives me an...
  5. Laptop will not boot after failed update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows fails to boot after update

Windows fails to boot after update: Note: Recently I have been having trouble with my computer not being able to update. This had been happening for about a month or two without resolve so I decided to try to trouble shoot it. I cant remember the error code I got, but I found an answer on this site that...
  7. Fail to boot after update

Fail to boot after update: Hello, After installing the latest update on my PC and laptop, both of them failed to boot, it shows the blue screen saying SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. Then I contacted a live agent and the agent, the case number was 1467675304. He asked me to download a Windows 10...
  8. 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4462918) -...

2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4462918) -...: Hi, I am getting consistent errors trying to run windows update: 2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4462918) - Error 0x800f081f This is on a brand new pc. I have tried the troubleshooter but no success. I'd appreciate any...
  9. Cumulative Update KB4462918 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.726 - Oct. 9

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4462918 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.726 - Oct. 9: October 9, 2018 - KB4462918 (OS Build 16299.726) Applies to: Windows 10, version 1709 Improvements and fixes This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include: Security updates to Internet...
  10. Failed booting after latest update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed booting after latest update.: I'm stuck, I downloaded a windows 10 ISO file and placed on a USB drive, I can access the option page but none of the trouble shooting solutions work. I would like to avoid reinstalling, wondering if someone with experience could walk me through some options. Thanks for your...
Tags: