Windows 10: Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option

Discus and support Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, My main SSD ended up getting corrupted somehow and had to install a brand new blank SSD in my Alienware R13. I have since installed Win10 from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by James McNaul, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option

Hello,

My main SSD ended up getting corrupted somehow and had to install a brand new blank SSD in my Alienware R13. I have since installed Win10 from a usb drive onto the SSD and it is working as expected.

However, when I go into the BIOS to enable "Secure Boot" again to turn on additional security features, it no longer boots from the hard drive. Only has network boot options as options in the EUFI boot order options. When I select "Add boot option" it doesn't recognize any media...

If I disable Secure Boot and put it into Legacy Mode then I can boot from the hard drive no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

:)

James McNaul, Nov 30, 2020

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Nov 30, 2020
  3. PC keeps booting to IDE instead of RAID

It might not be listed as harddrive. ie it shows devices to boot from, and one of the devices is harddrive, another option defines the order of the harddrives. The RAID controller might be listed as seperate device.
    Of course this is different per board.

DanTheBanjoman, Nov 30, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option

Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option

1. Secure Boot is removing Boot from HardDrive as a Boot Option - Similar Threads - Secure Boot removing

2. Secure boot option is not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot option is not showing: I have 32 bit operating system lg company's pc.I try to update 64 bit version of windows 10 using bootable pendrive. But secure boot option is not showing in my pc's bios.what should I do?...
  3. Secure boot option is not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure boot option is not showing: I have 32 bit operating system lg company's pc.I try to update 64 bit version of windows 10 using bootable pendrive. But secure boot option is not showing in my pc's bios.what should I do?...
  4. Secure boot option is not showing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. No option to enable secure boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to enable secure boot: Hi! I'm trying to enable secure boot on my PC, but in the BIOS firmware menu I'm only given the options of standard or custom. There is no option to simply enable/disable secure boot and I can not find it under any other tab. I've tried switching between standard and custom,...
  6. No option to enable secure boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to enable secure boot: Hi! I'm trying to enable secure boot on my PC, but in the BIOS firmware menu I'm only given the options of standard or custom. There is no option to simply enable/disable secure boot and I can not find it under any other tab. I've tried switching between standard and custom,...
  7. Remove Macrium from boot options ??

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Remove Macrium from boot options ??: When i switch on my PC i get two options windows 10 of Macrium reflect Is there a way to stop the Macrium Reflect option from loading or is this not advisable? 183528
  8. Remove boot options?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove boot options?: Hello folks, I am just wondering if anyone could help me please? As stated in the title I am needing help in removing boot options, I was dual booting W10 along with Linux but I have stopped using Linux now and I have tried removing the Linux from boot menu but haven't been...
  9. Removal of secondary Boot option?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removal of secondary Boot option?: Hi guys. I started my journey here with a compatibility issue of a program after a windows update. I was told to use a Bootable USB and recreate windows due to my computer being unable to perform a system restore. In the process, a secondary OS was created on my D storage...
  10. Unable to boot: No boot options

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot: No boot options: I have dual booted Windows10 and Ubuntu 14.04, which has been working properly for about two weeks. I then had issues with grub (it would boot straight into Windows), which I fixed using boot-repair on my Ubuntu installation usb. After fixing that and checking to make sure...