Windows 10: Secure Boot

Discus and support Secure Boot in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello everyone; I have a Dell XPS-8700, now running Windows 10 after a recent installation. I also have what is called a Fixme Stick that removes... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Matchlock, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Matchlock Win User

Secure Boot

Hello everyone;

I have a Dell XPS-8700, now running Windows 10 after a recent installation.

I also have what is called a Fixme Stick that removes viruses that happen to get past my Norton 360 anti-virus software. The issue is, it (the Fixme Stick) will not boot with Secure Boot enabled.

Can anyone tell me if I really need to have the Secur Boot enabled? I don't do anything extra fancy with my computer, as I just use it as a normal everyday computer. It's actually already far more computer than I really need but I like to keep current as much as possible.

Thank you for any help you can offer in this regard.

Bud

:)

Matchlock, Aug 28, 2015

2. Boot error "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Hi Sebastian,

The issue is you are getting an error “secure boot violation - invalid signature detected”. We need some more information to assist you in a better way.

• Do you get any error code along with the error message?
    • How did you install Windows 10? Was it upgrade or clean install?
    • When you get a lot of words, is it on a blue screen?
    • Have you updated chipset and BIOS drivers?
    • Are you able to boot to the desktop?
    • Did you try to boot in safe mode? If yes, were you able to boot?
    Here is something we may try and check if this helps in resolving the issue with the error secure boot violation - invalid signature detected.

Method 1: Disable security boot

I would also suggest you to disable the secure boot and check. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be any of the function key (eg: F12). Restart the computer; keep pressing the
    Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu. Disable the secure boot option and check.

Method 2: Disable driver signature enforcement.

Please refer the link.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Note: Refer Disable driver signature enforcement in the link above.

You may contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance if this doesn’t resolve the issue for changes in BIOS (Basic Input/output system).

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us with more information if the issue persists, or if you have any queries related to Windows. We are here to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Aug 28, 2015
  3. Boot error "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Original Title: Boot error

hey!

i want to dual boot, but when i start from my usb stick an error comes "secure boot violation invalid signature detected check secure boot policy in setup ".

Sebastian_24, Aug 28, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Secure Boot

Not really. It basically prevents viruses from replacing the Windows boot loader, blocks unknown operating systems, and blocks hardware that is unknown in case it is fake and designed to infect r PC or something like that. Usually, don't have to worry about hardware installing spyware, and r AV should prevent viruses from replacing the boot loader, and Windows is a safe OS. If want to keep it enabled, just temporarily disable Secure Boot when are using the Fixme Stick. I'm not sure if this is a very good analogy, but it's like blocking every tire from being installed in r car except for a Goodyear. Other brands may be safe, too, but it's better to have a tire that know is safe. In essence, disabling Secure Boot is not like disabling r antivirus. It won't affect r security status that much. In fact, operating systems like Windows 7 don't even support it, but don't see everybody with a Windows 7 machine complaining about viruses like someone who doesn't have an antivirus would.

5. Matchlock Win User
    Hi;

Thank you for the kind reply. That makes me feel a lot better and your analogy makes sense. Disabling it temporarily seems like a good way to go.

There seems to be two way to disable it though and I don't know which is the best, or the correct way. Is it alright to simply enter the BUIOS at bootup and disable it there, or do I have to go to this UEFI thing (I think that's what it's called)? The trouble is, I'm not very tech savvy and I wouldn't have any ide how to disable it using the UEFI method.

Thanks again for the terrific reply, it was very helpful.

Bud

Matchlock, Aug 29, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    The UEFI feature is usually disabled in the BIOS.
    As @You says, the best thing is to disable it only when you need to use the stick.

Also, it's interesting to note, that starting with W10, MS have made the UEFI disable function "optional", so that the OEMs will not have to provide it on future systems which come with W10 pre-intalled. So, if your FixmeStick is not updated to support UEFI, it will likely become obsolete. This will also be a problem for people who like to dual-boot with other operating systems which don't support UEFI (Linux comes to mind).

simrick, Sep 16, 2015
  7. Matchlock Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I took my FixMeStick back to Costco and bought the latest one online and it works perfctly without having to disable the Fast Boot or Secure Boot.

After the FixmeStci reboots the computer, just watch for the options to appear in the top left hand corner of the black screen and press ENTER when you see the cursor on the top option, which is FixmeStick. After hitting ENTER, just let it run and all is well.

It will run and clean your computer as it always has in the past.

Thanks for all the replies and help with this.

Regards

Bud

Matchlock, Sep 16, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Secure Boot

Good news! *Biggrin

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Secure Boot

1. Secure Boot - Similar Threads - Secure Boot

2. Windows 11 disabling secure boot after installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 disabling secure boot after installation?: I have installed Windows 11 pro with TPM and Secure Boot enabled, I want to install Arch Linux and make Dual Boot but I need to disable secure boot, anyone has any experience disabling secure boot on their Win 11 system after the OS is installed and running ?What about update...
  3. Windows 11 disabling secure boot after installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 disabling secure boot after installation?: I have installed Windows 11 pro with TPM and Secure Boot enabled, I want to install Arch Linux and make Dual Boot but I need to disable secure boot, anyone has any experience disabling secure boot on their Win 11 system after the OS is installed and running ?What about update...
  4. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.: Hello,I want to update my Windows from 10 to 11. so I ran PC health checkup which detected that secure boot is not enabled on my windows. So in BIOS setting I changed boot from legacy to UEFI and enabled the secure boot but my windows is not starting after this. What should I...
  5. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.: Hello,I want to update my Windows from 10 to 11. so I ran PC health checkup which detected that secure boot is not enabled on my windows. So in BIOS setting I changed boot from legacy to UEFI and enabled the secure boot but my windows is not starting after this. What should I...
  6. After enabling secure boot windows 10 not starting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Activar secure boot en placa base asus b-450m-a

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activar secure boot en placa base asus b-450m-a: He estado tratando de activar el secure boot en mi placa base pero indica como no compatible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activar-secure-boot-en-placa-base-asus-b-450m-a/563a21ab-af3e-4eae-bd79-90c78f44ff3e
  8. Activar secure boot en placa base asus b-450m-a

Activar secure boot en placa base asus b-450m-a: He estado tratando de activar el secure boot en mi placa base pero indica como no compatible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activar-secure-boot-en-placa-base-asus-b-450m-a/563a21ab-af3e-4eae-bd79-90c78f44ff3e
  9. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...
  10. Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade

Problems activating secure boot for Win 11 upgrade: Hi,since the support for Win 10 is ending, I wanted to upgrade my dad's PC from Win 10 to Win 11. I have enabled the TPM chip in BIOS and wanted to do the same for Secure Boot which is required, but couldn't turn off the compatibility mode CSM I believe, turning it off is a...