Windows 10: Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

Discus and support Secure encryption for removable hard drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mickmeister, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be sensitive info on it, I would obviously need some good encryption software. Any recommendations? Would something like VeraCrypt do the job? Or is the idea crazy?

v. 1903

:)

Mickmeister, Jun 19, 2020

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jun 19, 2020
  3. btarunr Win User
    Imation Expands Line of High-Capacity, High-Security, Hardware Encrypted USB HDDs

Imation Corp., a global scalable storage and data security company, today announced the expansion of its secure USB hard drive line with capacities of up to 1 terabyte (TB), optional biometric fingerprint authentication, and a uniquely comprehensive set of options for secure USB hard drive management.

“Enterprise and government organizations increasingly need manageable USB devices in order to provide mobile workers with the tools necessary to work where and when they want, and access the data they need in the most secure way possible,” said Lawrence Reusing, Imation’s general manager for Mobile Security. “People are increasingly turning to USB hard drives to transport large data sets. Our expanding secure hard drive offerings are in response to our customers needing increased capacity without compromising control over the devices and data.”

Secure encryption for removable hard drive? 65b_thm.jpg

"Many organizations have already taken steps to encrypt and protect data on disk drives used in notebook PCs, but now need to go one step further to encrypt and protect data on personal storage devices," said John Rydning, IDC's research vice president for hard disk drives. "Imation's encrypted personal storage solutions address what is often a neglected area for data security in organizations."

Imation’s full line of secure data solutions – from USB flash drives to hard drives – allows IT administrators to provision employees with a wide array of manageable FIPS Level 3 validated secure USB devices, simplifying data security for travelers, teleworkers, and contractors.

Imation also offers IT administrators the industry’s most comprehensive device provisioning and management solutions with advanced features such as remote kill, device recycling, and compliance reporting. Imation delivers unique features and controls to meet Enterprise and Government customer needs, including:
    • Up to 10 users per device with one-factor or two-factor authentication standard, with robust support for complex and custom password policies including length, special characters, and expiration, among other rules.
    • Optional Imation ACCESS Enterprise device management, which streamlines provisioning, and offers customized security policies, deployment, and management of a few up to tens of thousands of secure portable devices across networks and security environments.
    • Available administration with McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator software, enabling centralized enterprise device management, and an array of administrative capabilities, including US Government CAC/PIV card authentication and optional antivirus software that prevents malware from being transferred onto the device.
    Imation secure hard drive features include:
    • FIPS (Federal Information Processing Standards) 140-2, Level 3 validated security processor meeting the most demanding regulatory requirements.
    • AES 256-bit hardware encryption, protecting data each time the USB hard drive is in use with the hardware-based AES 256-bit encryption implemented in Cipher Block Chain (CBC) mode.
    • Single or dual-factor authentication, customers can choose models with password-only authentication, or password plus biometric fingerprint authentication through an ergonomic swipe sensor, to protect data at rest and ensure data access for authorized users.
    • Unique tamper-evident aluminum enclosure that allows users to immediately recognize attempts to physically compromise the device.
    Imation’s Secure Data, Identity and Mobile Workspace product set helps organizations protect against data loss and supports compliance strategies, providing users secure and convenient access to their data and applications wherever they are, while delivering managed security and ensuring compliance over a range of USB devices and removable media.

Imation’s secure mobile solutions are available through Imation’s network of channel partners. For more information, visit http://www.imation.com/en-US/Mobile-Security/Mobile-Security-Products/Secure-Data/.

btarunr, Jun 19, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

HP Drive Encryption - request to uninstall

Hi Michael,

That can be hard to remove . . .

Check in the list of Applications for Security Manager 8.3

That also needs to be removed in order to fully remove HP Drive Encryption

If you still canot remove HP Drive Encryption, click the link to download the installer for HP Drive Encryption, run that, it may have a better uninstaller than the one provided in Windows

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp7...

DaveM121, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

1. Secure encryption for removable hard drive? - Similar Threads - Secure encryption removable

2. HARD DRIVE SECURITY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HARD DRIVE SECURITY: I ADDED A HARD DRIVE AND LIMITED ACCESS IN SECURITY.. I MANAGED TI UNLOCK IT BUT CANNOT ACCESS FOLDERS. HOW DO I REDEMY THIS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-security/eb0206b9-8286-42d1-bfec-9216fb74d22c
  3. HARD DRIVE SECURITY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HARD DRIVE SECURITY: I ADDED A HARD DRIVE AND LIMITED ACCESS IN SECURITY.. I MANAGED TI UNLOCK IT BUT CANNOT ACCESS FOLDERS. HOW DO I REDEMY THIS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-security/eb0206b9-8286-42d1-bfec-9216fb74d22c
  4. HARD DRIVE SECURITY

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  6. Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypting External Hard Drive Used With Chromebook?: I use bitlocker with my dell xps windows ten laptop. I also use an old chromebook. So I have a one tb external hard drive that i downloaded lot of videos/files on with the chromebook. Thus after a lot of files, i transfer it to my chromebook by copy and pasting it etc since...
  7. Remove hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remove hard drive: I have a laptop that Im giving away. The person Im giving it to had an SSD drive to install in it. Its Windows 10 If I remove the drive will my documents be able to be read an another laptop. ? Im aiming to use it as a storage drive. 173925
  8. Drive Encryption and Secure Data Wiping

Drive Encryption and Secure Data Wiping: Okay, A new set of questions! I have a 240GB SSD with Win 10 Pro, Ver. 2004, Build 19041.329 - running as sweet as a nut. First questions. I plan to dual-boot Linux Mint Mate 19.3 alongside the Windows installation in a separate partition (offered as part of the Linux...
  9. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  10. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...