Windows 10: Secure erase + password lock ssd?

Discus and support Secure erase + password lock ssd? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there. I need something that can secure erase my ssd and immediately lock it at the same time so nothing can access it without a password. (I’m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/drizzy_dries, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Secure erase + password lock ssd?

Hi there.

I need something that can secure erase my ssd and immediately lock it at the same time so nothing can access it without a password. (I’m dealing with a rootkit virus that spreads itself on every storage device) so i need some kind of tool that can erase it and lock it out Does anyone have any good software/tool recommendations ? (For windows 10)

Thanks!

submitted by /u/drizzy_dries
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/drizzy_dries, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User
    Jetster, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

Very inexperienced with Linux and have been playing around lately with Ubuntu 17.10 successfully recovering data from a bad HDD, quite impressed by it also.

First question is. I have an old OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that has been lying around forever and want to wipe it to factory settings and install Ubuntu on it (so I don't need to run Windows side by side on my current OS drive). I'm assuming the easiest way to do this is to do the following?
    • Boot Ubuntu from USB installer
    • Select 'Try Ubuntu before you install it'
    • Open the Terminal and
    • Use the Command-line to Simple Secure Erase i.e. hdparm --security-erase PASS /dev/sdX
    My second question is, if the above will work do I then need to format the entire SSD in ext4 or does the installer by default format/partition the SSD when 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu' is selected?

Secure erase + password lock ssd? 25d1eb9e8b23d55b-jpg.jpg

Dia01, Sep 28, 2020
  4. renegat Win User

Secure erase + password lock ssd?

Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

'Secure erase' in case of a SSD should never be done by zeroing!
    Do not use ubuntu installer 'secure erase' or 'dd' on a SSD.
    This is a tourture for the flash cells and massivly shortens life of the device.
    One way is to use the provided tool of the manufacturer - which in most cases only works with windows.
    The other way is to use hdparm under linux.
    Secure Erase aka "memory cell clearing" of a SSD is done by just deleting the internal encyption key and gererating an new one so the formerly data cannot be read anymore. This is not done by the ubuntu installer!

renegat, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Secure erase + password lock ssd?

1. Secure erase + password lock ssd? - Similar Threads - Secure erase password

2. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  3. Securely erasing a hard disc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Securely erasing a hard disc: Does Windows 10 have any functionality to securely erase a hard disc? I have a few external hard discs that I'd like to completely clean up before recyling. I've looked online a few times but I have yet to find an answer to this....
  4. Windows 'secure erase' not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 'secure erase' not working.: I go into the recovery menu and click Reset this PC, everything works as it should up until the part when it should start erasing everything and then simply says that there was a problem restarting so it hasn't happened. I've tried using restoro, doesn't fix anything. and...
  5. How to Secure Erase older Intel SSD for selling on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Secure Erase older Intel SSD for selling on: Hi Guys, I have an older Intel 320 series SSD that I no longer use, so I thought I'd sell it, OK, I know I won't get a lot for it but it will be some money. I tried to Secure Erase it whilst it was in the PC as a Master drive, of course you can't, so I thought I'd 'Google'...
  6. SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC

SSD wont secure erase on USB or DISC: I have recently had a failure of BIOS and backup BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-H77M D3H rev1.0 motherboard, now I've purchased a 2nd hand Intel (branded), 7 series board, to replace it, now in anticipation, I thought I would secure erase the SSD now in prep now first I attached it...
  7. files accidently erased on ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    files accidently erased on ssd: I accidentally deleted user name and other files on my ssd cant do things as task manager or restore my pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-accidently-erased-on-ssd/96e3e868-fdf4-4d66-bcb1-a1df8025b21f
  8. How to erase partitions on SSD?

How to erase partitions on SSD?: Hi folks, I got a SSD drive and it has two partitions on it. The drive is 500gb and one of the partitions is 10gb. How can I completely delete the 10gb partition and get the drive back to a functioning 500gb drive again please? When I use the Disk Management program the...
  9. erase windows 10 on ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    erase windows 10 on ssd: Im selling my system and want to remove windows 10 from it. what is the best way to do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/erase-windows-10-on-ssd/29315124-9fa8-4785-b2b6-857d777d02e0
  10. Secure Erase SSD Samsung

Secure Erase SSD Samsung: I have a samsung SSD and a PNY SSD that I installed on my laptop. I get an error and fix complete when I boot up windows 10. I was told I should do a secure erase and reinstall windows 10. I have tired using samsung magician and make bootable USB but nothing happens. My...