Windows 10: Secure SSD formatting

Discus and support Secure SSD formatting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've just registered to tenforums to ask you for help with an appropriate way of formatting an SSD drive in order to prepare it for installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wind10Pro, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Wind10Pro Win User

Secure SSD formatting

Hi,

I've just registered to tenforums to ask you for help with an appropriate way of formatting an SSD drive in order to prepare it for installing Windows on a second machine.

I've watched numerous videos on YT and read "tons" of articles and I'm still very confused what method or program to use. For years I was using DBAN with my HDDs but the author states it clearly that " it cannot detect or erase SSDs".

From what I understand SSDs are structured in a different way than HDDs that's way traditional ways of erasing their contents might be harmful (e.g. decrease their durability). By traditional I mean using "quick / full formatting" with Windows built-in tools and by formatting I mean overwritting the disk with 0's or 1's and preparing it to be readable by the system.

I'm not that knowledgeable about SSD disks and wouldn't like to harm them by doing something wrong.

What methods are you using?

:)

Wind10Pro, Oct 21, 2019
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Snakeyes Win User
    Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

This process will degrade the performance of your SSD. Unlike hard drives where new information is written directly over old information with no decline in speed. SSD's are blazingly fast when writing to empty NAND. However if there is no empty NAND available the SSD process changes to a two-step approach where the NAND has to be "cleaned" and then written to. This slows down the SSD considerably. (The trim command under the windows optimize function essentially identifies the old, not needed, information and assists the SSD in pre-cleaning the NAND's so that the SSD can operate at full speed).
    The only way to completely clean SSD is through a process known as secure erase. It essentially provides a blank SSD to write on. Formatting is nothing like that and a quick format essentially clears the record of the information that is written on an SSD so that Windows can treat it like a blank SSD, but the SSD still has to go through the two-step process. The NAND's are still full of old information and are effectively cleaned during periods of non-activity. A full format on the other hand will effectively write on every single NAND completely filling the SSD. If you want to start off with a clean fast SSD, use the manufacturers software and/or other generic software designed to secure erase the SSD.

Snakeyes, Oct 21, 2019
  4. Dia01 Win User

Secure SSD formatting

Securely erasing old SSD - Ubuntu

Very inexperienced with Linux and have been playing around lately with Ubuntu 17.10 successfully recovering data from a bad HDD, quite impressed by it also.

First question is. I have an old OCZ Vertex 3 120GB that has been lying around forever and want to wipe it to factory settings and install Ubuntu on it (so I don't need to run Windows side by side on my current OS drive). I'm assuming the easiest way to do this is to do the following?
    • Boot Ubuntu from USB installer
    • Select 'Try Ubuntu before you install it'
    • Open the Terminal and
    • Use the Command-line to Simple Secure Erase i.e. hdparm --security-erase PASS /dev/sdX
    My second question is, if the above will work do I then need to format the entire SSD in ext4 or does the installer by default format/partition the SSD when 'Erase disk and install Ubuntu' is selected?

Secure SSD formatting 25d1eb9e8b23d55b-jpg.jpg

Dia01, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Secure SSD formatting

1. Secure SSD formatting - Similar Threads - Secure SSD formatting

2. SSD Formatting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Formatting: When attempting to format my new SSD, Disk Management will only let me convert to MBR or a Dynamic Disk, but not show me the option to format it. It doesn't have a directory name yet, and I cannot install files onto it. How can I make that happen?...
  3. Format SSD drive or any drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format SSD drive or any drive: Hello, When I perform a quick format of my SSD drive then I experienced problems/conflicts when I have reinstalled Windows 10 on my SSD drive afterwards compared to a slow(deep) format of my SSD drive! When I do a slow format of my SSD drive then I experience no...
  4. WD ssd's dashboard security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WD ssd's dashboard security: Came across this little nugget of info, thought I would share for anyone with Western Digital drives who use the dashboard's. Hopefully there will be updates soon. Trivial Bugs in Western Digital SSD Utility Puts Owners at Risk 137722
  5. WD ssd's dashboard security

in Windows 10 Support
    WD ssd's dashboard security: Came across this little nugget of info, thought I would share for anyone with Western Digital drives who use the dashboard's. Hopefully there will be updates soon. Trivial Bugs in Western Digital SSD Utility Puts Owners at Risk 137722
  6. Secure Erase SSD Samsung

Secure Erase SSD Samsung: I have a samsung SSD and a PNY SSD that I installed on my laptop. I get an error and fix complete when I boot up windows 10. I was told I should do a secure erase and reinstall windows 10. I have tired using samsung magician and make bootable USB but nothing happens. My...
  7. SSD Disappears in Disk Management When Formatted

SSD Disappears in Disk Management When Formatted: Hi, So whenever I try to reformat my SSD from unallocated to NTFS I get this error. Does anyone know what to do? 51403
  8. Format old SSD with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Format old SSD with Windows 10: Hi All.... I recently upgraded to a PCI SSD and want to format the SSD with the old installation files on it and use it for storage. What would be the proper way to go about this with both versions on those drives being Windows 10, and the new PCI SSD Windows 10 Creators...
  9. Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning HDD to SSD-HDD is 512 format & SSD is 4096 format. Matter?: If so, what are my options? This HDD came from HP w/Win 7. I upgraded it to Win 10 but would like to clone it to the SSD for the speed increase. Thanks in advance, jeff 40208
  10. Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting an SSD without using Quick Format Option: Hey all, I know that it is advised that one should not format a SSD without the Quick Format option enabled. However I want to start with a completely clean SSD. This is not my C drive (Windows 10) but rather a second SSD used for certain applications. Question is, will...