Windows 10: Securing WIFI router

Discus and support Securing WIFI router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My wifi router is not secure from others using. How do I secure my WIFI router?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MelodyHinderer, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Securing WIFI router

My wifi router is not secure from others using. How do I secure my WIFI router?

:)

MelodyHinderer, Sep 29, 2019
  2. silkstone Win User

Router behind a router = more secure?

Hi, I have a quick question about network security.

I'm wondering what the best way (security wise) is to set up my routers.

I have a router/modem combo that connects directly to the internet and a separate WiFi network for all my other devices. My main rig is using a wired connection. The WiFi router is more modern and so probably has better firmware.

I have two options of configuration.

1 - Router/modem > WiFi Router - Separate DHCP servers & all connections going through the WiFi router
    or
    2 - Router/modem + wired connection to main rig > WiFi Router (as an access point using the modem's DHCP server) with everything else connected to the AP (over WiFi)

Does it make a difference security wise?

Thx for any help.

silkstone, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Duginov Win User
    Cannot connect to secure WiFi router

I tried several different options with my router, from WEP to WPA2 Personal.

My HTC Surround cannot connect with ANY security schema. I ended up with plugging in another old router and adding my phone's MAC to the list of allowed devices. After that the phone was able to connect to "open" wifi network.

Regards, Dmitry

Duginov, Sep 29, 2019
  4. silkstone Win User

Securing WIFI router

Router behind a router = more secure?

Thanks.

So it is more secure from both exploits and brute force to have router > Router > Computers. An attacker would have to find exploits in both routers before gaining access to a network?

I'm not that worried, I just wanted to know the theory as I seem to get conflicting information. I had always assumed that having a router behind a router would be better security-wise.

I am pretty sure that my router would be on the list of those compromised in Vietnam by malware. The malware only changed the primary DNS for the router, so I would still not be immune to this kind of attack if someone gained access to my internet facing router, but it got me thinking more about security.

silkstone, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Securing WIFI router

1. Securing WIFI router - Similar Threads - Securing WIFI router

2. Connection to WiFi router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connection to WiFi router: I installed a Wi-Fi adaptor card on my Motherboard. I disabled the onboard WiFi adaptor.In Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections I cannot find the full panel to edit/enter info to allow the new card to find my router.I conclude that I have missed a step, or do not...
  3. Routers without WiFi

Routers without WiFi: Hi everyone! I work at a small business and finally getting a fibre-optic connection after many decades of near dial-up speed internet. I love using access-points for WiFi as that's what I use at my house (Ubiquiti ac-pro the best i've ever had) and my cable modem router to...
  4. Connecting to non-router wifi

Connecting to non-router wifi: Besides my wireless router, I have several other wifi "networks" in my home, that do not provide Internet service. For example, one of my endoscope cameras has such a network. When I disconnect from the router and connect to one of these, the "WLAN-Autoconfig" service part...
  5. Sharing a Public Hotspot to a Secure WiFi Router

Sharing a Public Hotspot to a Secure WiFi Router: Here's my situation. I'm full-timing in an RV. Every time I pull into a new campground, I have to connect all of my devices to the campground WiFi. I have on hand a dedicated laptop and a Netgear R6250 router. I also have a WDMyCloud network storage drive. What I want...
  6. WiFi/Router Security

WiFi/Router Security: Hello everybody! I have a concern that someone is accessing my wifi without my permission. I haven't given anyone my password and I keep seeing a hotspot connection that is linked to my wifi. This troubles me because I have checked all my wifi capable devices and none of them...
  7. Connecting to Router/WIfi

Connecting to Router/WIfi: I can not connect to my Router/Modem at all. I have tried everything there is to be able to connect. I did get a msg come up from Microsoft that said problem was with Microsoft & to try back later. That was 2 days ago. Thank you...
  8. wifi router

wifi router: I just changed my user name & and password on my router and no I'm locked out! Can this router be reset to the default user name & password? the router is a Sagemcom fast 5260...
  9. Wifi-Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi-Router: Hi i'm 17 I don't know a lot about computers I got this Windows 10 desktop on Christmas, Yea won't lie about it. I have been having trouble with connection to games ever since I moved to the basement I did a speed test and my ping is 8, Download 36Mbps, and upload is...
  10. Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers: I am an IT guy, so security is constantly on my mind -- I would like feed back as well some input and opinions into this injustice done by major manufacturers. This is the fact that major manufacturers of Consumer Routers (Mostly) are building in "Default" back doors to these...