Windows 10: Security concern and a bit confused

Discus and support Security concern and a bit confused in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I stumbled upon this Group policy setting that when I Disable the policy, the Admin Username will not be displayed in the UAC prompt when elevated from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Security concern and a bit confused

I stumbled upon this Group policy setting that when I Disable the policy, the Admin Username will not be displayed in the UAC prompt when elevated from a Standard user account.
    Enumerate administrator accounts on elevation

Meanwhile, I can select and see the Admin account username on the Sign-in screen...

This policy setting is useless then. Please correct me if I am missing something.

:)

win10freak, Apr 2, 2018

2. Security Concern

Received this message and scared the **** out of me. Shut the computer down and called my service provider TWC/Brighthouse. They said this was not them and to report to Microsoft. Has anybody seen this or should i be concerned?

Security concern and a bit confused [​IMG]

propertydog, Apr 2, 2018
  3. Security Concern

All these kind of pop-ups are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:
    PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

Use the Task Manager to close your browser:

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

If you use Edge, see all of
    GreginMich
    's replies here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

And see GreginMich's reply here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/when-opening-edge-i-get-this-this-site-says888-776/8cb72f5e-65b0-4ee7-a6bc-4df5b7dca076?msgId=f02408fd-1803-493d-a8cb-d47ea95a67b6

Clear your temporary internet files and reboot. Do not restore the browser session.

After the reboot, the pop-up should be gone.

If not, follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Jsssssssss, Apr 2, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Security concern and a bit confused

The policy states it only hides the administrator name from the drop down list for runas

Samuria, Apr 2, 2018
  5. Well, I have it as Not Configured.
    How important is this policy from a security standpoint for a standalone machine?
    Do I really need to hide the Admin username on the UAC prompt?

The Username can be shown anyways on the sign-in screen. both for Standard and Admin accounts.

However, my password is long and complex.

win10freak, Apr 3, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Its a bit pointless if you can see the name at login

Samuria, Apr 3, 2018
  7. I will just leave the Group Policy setting as default meaning Not Configured.

win10freak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security concern and a bit confused

1. Security concern and a bit confused - Similar Threads - Security concern bit

2. Security Concern

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Concern: Hello, I've discovered some serious security leaks on my devices and I need to make sure of a few things.I suspect my HDD got cloned and used on another machine, let's assume that my windows account and settings and edge data passwords of other accounts got leaked. Maybe my...
  3. Security Concern

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Concern: Hello, I've discovered some serious security leaks on my devices and I need to make sure of a few things.I suspect my HDD got cloned and used on another machine, let's assume that my windows account and settings and edge data passwords of other accounts got leaked. Maybe my...
  4. Security Concern

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. A bit confused here...

A bit confused here...: Hello everybody. I'll try to keep this one as short as possible, if you need any more details, just reply obviously. So, I installed on my Acer Nitro AN515-31 the Windows 10 Enterprise I like installing and uninstalling the OS, testing different stuff, yes, this is a test...
  6. Security Concerns

Security Concerns: A while ago when I uploaded a file to virustotal it was clean but when I uploaded the same file a month later it says 1 antivirus says its malicious Does that make it safe then?...
  7. Concerned & confused

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Concerned & confused: Hi, I recently bought minecraft for Windows 10, but my computer won't allow me to use/play it. I have tried researching ways on whether it is refundable, but I keep finding a loop of support that doesn't answer my problem. My questions: Is minecraft refundable, and if so, how...
  8. BitLocker Security concerns

BitLocker Security concerns: I just stumbled into an issue and would like to ask if this is normal or not. My UEFI boot order is the Windows Boot Manager and then the Internal HDD, nothing else. Except when I insert the USB flash drive, that shows up in the Boot Sequence menu options among the last boot...
  9. System Restore....a bit confused

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore....a bit confused: I recently upgraded from Win 7 to 10, and when exploring my Control Panel, I found the category "Backup and Restore - Windows 7". I was actually looking for "System Restore" that I had in Win 7 Where could I find/set a restore point? Is it possible to set a restore point in...
  10. A bit confused....

in Windows 10 Support
    A bit confused....: If I were to restore from FCU to CU would I have to reinstall programs and software that I have already installed after the update? I know it says that any apps and drivers would need to be reinstalled but by apps do they mean Win10 apps from the store or actual programs?...