Windows 10: Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing

Discus and support Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The last half-dozen times I've manually run Microsoft Security Essentials, it has early on found a potential problem, causing a warning message to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RalphNorton1, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing

The last half-dozen times I've manually run Microsoft Security Essentials, it has early on found a potential problem, causing a warning message to appear (attached). It promises I can review the info when the scan is done. When the scan finishes, no such info is available. If this happened once, I wouldn't be concerned. But this has been a consistent result over several months, and my computer is now acting odd in several ways...like not going into sleep mode when inactive. Is something beating Microsoft's scan?

Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing 4e0a78ed-862c-4788-9da5-4ef0a98bb77a?upload=true.jpg

:)

RalphNorton1, Mar 24, 2019

2. Defender say potential problem, but nothing highlighted, Safety Scan is clean, what now?

I am also having the same trouble with Microsoft Security Essentials which I use instead of Windows Defender (because I have Windows 7). ANY kind of scan I run this program always starts with this message "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or
    potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan has completed." followed by nothing listed in the results.

I wonder... is the initial message a false positive (false warning) or are the results a false negative (false all clear) ? They can't both be right. Something doesn't add up here.

Craig Evans1, Mar 24, 2019
  3. Preliminary scan results show that malicious or unwanted software may exist on your computer.

When I scan with Defender, a message at the bottom reads
    "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software may exist on your computer. You can review detected items when the scan has completed." I always get a message when finished that says no threats detected. Why does this
    keep happening? I am afraid to do anything with my banking etc...I have all the current updates and I have ran a full scan and restarted my pc. I still keep getting this message about malicious software every time I do a scan. Help! This all started on
    11/28/16.

KimberlyColley, Mar 24, 2019
  4. IOGT007 Win User

Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing

Security Essentials

My Security Essentials tells me that a malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on my system but it never tells me what it is or might be. On the detected items list there is nothing there. I checked all three areas and there is nothing listed,
    allowed, quarantined or detected. How do I find this potentially unwanted software that the scan says I have?
    Why does it keep telling me I might have potentially unwanted software but never identifies it? I at least should be alerted as to what it is and where it is located so I can either delete it or allow it.
    Nothing shows up after the scan.

IOGT007, Mar 24, 2019
Thema:

Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing

1. Security Essentials Preliminary Scan Results show potential problem...then, Nothing - Similar Threads - Security Essentials Preliminary

2. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  3. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  4. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  5. Potential security problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  6. preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted...

preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted...: during windows defender offline scan, there is something at the bottom that says "preliminary scan results show that there might be malicious or potentially unwanted software on your system". should i be worried?...
  7. Defender "Preliminary Scan Results"

Defender "Preliminary Scan Results": When I scan with DEFENDER, this message appears: "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan is complete." This message appears normal as I am running this scan...
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning

Microsoft Security Essentials and scanning: In my clutter folder I inadvertently clicked on a "banking" link within an email as I was verifying clutter vs legit. The link did not open and was then quarantined by MSE. Trojan Level Severe. I am currently running a full Scan. My question is am I safe? Since it did...
  9. Microsoft Security Essentials scan

Microsoft Security Essentials scan: I am just wondering if it is required to have internet connection to run these scans? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-security-essentials-scan/ac855198-6ff5-46a1-8ee8-74c41fe8d108
  10. security essentials scan

security essentials scan: Is there a facility whereby the computer will be shut down if no problems are found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start-windows_7/security-essentials-scan/52b3e12c-0c8d-444b-a1a2-8ef69b0ac9d0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mse potential scan tesukts

2. preliminary scan results defender