Windows 10: Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8?

Discus and support Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all, first post here so be gentle *Tongue So after many years of running Kaspersky which we got free through my wifes bank, they now recommended... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ParaJack17, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8?

Hi all, first post here so be gentle *Tongue

So after many years of running Kaspersky which we got free through my wifes bank, they now recommended we no longer use it!!! So I have spent hours reading and watching reviews looking for a free alternative that we can use on both a W10 desktop and a W8 laptop. Just when I think I've found the one, I then read another review that says it's system hungry, of has a lot of bloatware etc.

The top ones seemed to be:
    Avast
    Avira
    Bitdefender

I was ready to try Avast but then saw a few reviews saying it slows your system down and only lasts 1 year and then doesn't update! I then started to look at the firewalls that were compatible with the next two, Avira & Bitdefender. I came across good things being said about Zone Alarm, so I took a look at their website and saw that they also do a full security system called 'ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus 2018' which has an AV and firewall program built into one package FREE Antivirus Protection for PC - Download Now! I'm wondering if anyone has used it and what their review of it is?

Or is the inbuilt security package in W10 & W8 good enough for normal household use, web browsing, forums, shopping online etc.

PS: I've also been using the free Malwarebytes for year to scan once week.

Thanks in advance for any help and information *Wink

:)

ParaJack17, Dec 27, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Dec 27, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8?

Well the Inbuilt Security in Windows 10 and 8, might be enough depending on user habits, and such, folks around here use it quite a bit Defender, and Malwarebytes, but I myself no expert, just started using Defender a few weeks ago (haven't updated info on the profile yet) Previously used Avast for years, (since 2006) but slowly transitioning over to Built in Security as well here

AMDMan2016, Dec 27, 2017
  5. Zone Alarm (with HIPS) is for more advanced users and besides, it uses Kaspersky, which you are trying to avoid.

You might try Sophos Free, it is decent and made in UK, so there should be no issues regarding espionage. *Rolleyes

Avast is usable installed in Minimal Protection (+Behaviour Shield) and Bitdefender would do nicely too.

TairikuOkami, Dec 27, 2017
  6. Yeah a few Computers in household still use Avast with Minimal protection, file shield, web shield, mail shield, behavior shield, no performance issues on those systems reported with that setup

AMDMan2016, Dec 28, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    I was using the free Kaspersky software from Barclays until recently. I now just use Defender and the latest version of Windows 10 (FCU). I also run periodic scans with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes. For banking sites, I've created a Chrome incognito mode shortcut to the login page.

Steve C, Dec 28, 2017
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8?

There are several alternatives that are good: Right now I am doing a second/third test of BitDefender Free, Windows Defender is also good, Avira Free is good, Avast Free is ok too. In the end it mostly depends on user habits, combining AV with another layers of protection (MBAE, some antiransonware thing) and doing a lot of independant backups of sensible data.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 28, 2017
  9. Hi guys and thanks for all the replies so far *Wink

I've been looking into some of the programs mentioned above, whilst doing so i came across this person's channel on youtube, they seem to do rather good tests on each AV available, thought I'd share it *Smile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQn...able_polymer=1

ParaJack17, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8?

1. Security for Windows 10 and Windows 8? - Similar Threads - Security

2. Windows Security asking for my password incessantly in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security asking for my password incessantly in Google Chrome: Whenever I try to look at any of my passwords in the Chrome password manager, I get a Windows Security popup that forces me to type in my password before looking at any of my other ones. I have tried everything I can possibly think of to disable this feature, including...
  3. Windows Security asking for my password incessantly in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security asking for my password incessantly in Google Chrome: Whenever I try to look at any of my passwords in the Chrome password manager, I get a Windows Security popup that forces me to type in my password before looking at any of my other ones. I have tried everything I can possibly think of to disable this feature, including...
  4. I was notified on my laptop that I had a Microsoft security breach. This led me to be hacked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I was notified on my laptop that I had a Microsoft security breach. This led me to be hacked.: I was notified that I was hacked by Microsoft, which led me to be a victim of phone fraud, all the while being led to believe I was talking to you....
  5. I was notified on my laptop that I had a Microsoft security breach. This led me to be hacked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I was notified on my laptop that I had a Microsoft security breach. This led me to be hacked.: I was notified that I was hacked by Microsoft, which led me to be a victim of phone fraud, all the while being led to believe I was talking to you....
  6. I was notified on my laptop that I had a Microsoft security breach. This led me to be hacked.

7. I keep receiving a pop-up asking me to sign in to Windows Security to download my calendar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I keep receiving a pop-up asking me to sign in to Windows Security to download my calendar...: I have tried all my user names and passwords i.e. microsoft, admin, and yahoo but it has not fixed the issue. I also receive a message Microsoft OutlookAccess to the resource was denied. If you have signed into and saved your Microsoft account with a Web site, sign out of...
  8. I keep receiving a pop-up asking me to sign in to Windows Security to download my calendar...

I keep receiving a pop-up asking me to sign in to Windows Security to download my calendar...: I have tried all my user names and passwords i.e. microsoft, admin, and yahoo but it has not fixed the issue. I also receive a message Microsoft OutlookAccess to the resource was denied. If you have signed into and saved your Microsoft account with a Web site, sign out of...
  9. I keep receiving a pop-up asking me to sign in to Windows Security to download my calendar...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Microsoft Family Safety cannot block Avast Secure Browser

Microsoft Family Safety cannot block Avast Secure Browser: I've attempted to set usage restrictions and time limits on Avast Secure Browser using Microsoft Family settings on my child's laptop, but they're not effective. She's using this browser as an alternative to bypass the parental controls on Edge. Despite Microsoft Family's...