Windows 10: Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

Discus and support Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I set up a restricted Windows 10 familiy member account. With this account it is impossible to access youtube.com and other webites. This works if you... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Carsten BjørnKeil, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

I set up a restricted Windows 10 familiy member account. With this account it is impossible to access youtube.com and other webites. This works if you try to access the site directly with egde: any attempt is blocked by the Windows family feature and reported with a corresponding sdx.microsoft.com/family/restricted-web entry.

BUT if you press on a youtube link posted in a teams chat, it branches off in a new Edge tab and opens youtube within it: This tab is now alleviated, it is NOT blocked by the Windows familiy feature, NOT even reported in the family log files. It seems that this open-youtube-via-link-in-teams tunnels the Windows family firewall.

This sounds like a serious security breach to me and exposes a supposedly protected kid behind the windows family firewall to any undesired exposure out there.

How do i prevent that a user can tunnel the windows familiy firewall with this teams-link-hack? any help appreciated.

NB1: i am not the teams administrator, so can not block posting / accessing youtube links from within teams.

NB2: Brutal blocking of accessing youtube via the hosts file or norton familiy works but i really would prefer to work using only the windows family safeguard.

:)

Carsten BjørnKeil, Apr 19, 2021
  2. dozenfury Win User

Intel AMT Security Issue Lets Attackers Bypass Login Credentials

This one seems a lot less of a security issue and more of an area where maybe some extra checks can be put in. Whenever you have to assume for an exploit that someone hasn't changed the default pw, the onus is kind of on them. Especially when it comes to IME and business laptops. That should be step 1 for the laptop configurators in any responsible IT department. Otherwise if you start going down this road you could almost say this about any PC. If a person is given local unfettered access to any PC with a default pw, it's easy enough to quickly turn off security checks and enable remote access.

Seems like this is more a case of F-Secure taking advantage of the news focus on Intel and Meltdown/Spectre to claim discovery of another Intel bug for their own accolades. If I leave my car door unlocked and the keys in the ignition, it allows a person to bypass other security car alarm/key fob checks, but it would be a stretch to call that a security vulnerability. And that's what this one feels a bit like.

dozenfury, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

Children bypassing web filters use add account

I have family safety setup with content restrictions and both a block and allow list for websites. The kids have found a way to bypass web restrictions and go to youtube using Mail, Manage Accounts then add account. I don't think they have to add an account.
    They may just login to a second unrestricted account and then access youtube. They don't do it while I am around, and I don't have many more specifics. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a solution?

I seems they use a directory under the user directory. Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu\Programs\startup\"a name" sometimes dddd sometimes yotubw, but I think this folder name can be anything.

Thanks

A_Concerned_Parent, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

1. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions - Similar Threads - Security Issue Teams

2. Using Proxy Settings to Restrict Web Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Proxy Settings to Restrict Web Access: Hello I have set up Proxy settings to restrict web access. It works great but does anyone know the URl's I need to allow to use Gmail correctly? Here is how I configured...
  3. Using Proxy Settings to Restrict Web Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Proxy Settings to Restrict Web Access: Hello I have set up Proxy settings to restrict web access. It works great but does anyone know the URl's I need to allow to use Gmail correctly? Here is how I configured...
  4. Using Proxy Settings to Restrict Web Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...

Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted...: Is there any way to restrict browser access but allow only 1 app to access that restricted application. Asking for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-way-to-restrict-browser-access-but/bfd40041-5f6f-43c0-87c5-ee325eb4397d
  6. Bypass restrictions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Bypass restrictions: HiMy son belongs to my Microsoft family as a child. Every time he has to ask for time to use the pc for valid reasons before you start thinking I’m too strict . He has a Lenovo laptop Since yesterday he can access the laptop at any time of the day without approvals on that...
  7. Bypass restrictions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bypass restrictions: HiMy son belongs to my Microsoft family as a child. Every time he has to ask for time to use the pc for valid reasons before you start thinking I’m too strict . He has a Lenovo laptop Since yesterday he can access the laptop at any time of the day without approvals on that...
  8. Bypass restrictions

9. Microsoft Family bypass URL restriction by clicking link in Teams

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family bypass URL restriction by clicking link in Teams: I am blocking YouTube.com through MS Family on my son's Windows 10 laptop, which he is using for remote learning. His class uses MS Teams and he accesses it through MS Edge browser. I have disabled all other browsers since Edge is the only browser that supports site blocking....
  10. Bypass 30 day billing security restriction.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Bypass 30 day billing security restriction.: My friends recently brought the free game Vigor and after looking into it it looks like a fun game to play. The problem was the game is only on the Microsoft store website not the desktop app, this created several problems for me. I tried to download the game with my main...