Windows 10: Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

Discus and support Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I set up a restricted Windows 10 familiy member account. With this account it is impossible to access youtube.com and other webites. This works if you... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Carsten BjørnKeil, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

I set up a restricted Windows 10 familiy member account. With this account it is impossible to access youtube.com and other webites. This works if you try to access the site directly with egde: any attempt is blocked by the Windows family feature and reported with a corresponding sdx.microsoft.com/family/restricted-web entry.

BUT if you press on a youtube link posted in a teams chat, it branches off in a new Edge tab and opens youtube within it: This tab is now alleviated, it is NOT blocked by the Windows familiy feature, NOT even reported in the family log files. It seems that this open-youtube-via-link-in-teams tunnels the Windows family firewall.

This sounds like a serious security breach to me and exposes a supposedly protected kid behind the windows family firewall to any undesired exposure out there.

How do i prevent that a user can tunnel the windows familiy firewall with this teams-link-hack? any help appreciated.

NB1: i am not the teams administrator, so can not block posting / accessing youtube links from within teams.

NB2: Brutal blocking of accessing youtube via the hosts file or norton familiy works but i really would prefer to work using only the windows family safeguard.

:)

Carsten BjørnKeil, Apr 19, 2021
  2. dozenfury Win User

Intel AMT Security Issue Lets Attackers Bypass Login Credentials

This one seems a lot less of a security issue and more of an area where maybe some extra checks can be put in. Whenever you have to assume for an exploit that someone hasn't changed the default pw, the onus is kind of on them. Especially when it comes to IME and business laptops. That should be step 1 for the laptop configurators in any responsible IT department. Otherwise if you start going down this road you could almost say this about any PC. If a person is given local unfettered access to any PC with a default pw, it's easy enough to quickly turn off security checks and enable remote access.

Seems like this is more a case of F-Secure taking advantage of the news focus on Intel and Meltdown/Spectre to claim discovery of another Intel bug for their own accolades. If I leave my car door unlocked and the keys in the ignition, it allows a person to bypass other security car alarm/key fob checks, but it would be a stretch to call that a security vulnerability. And that's what this one feels a bit like.

dozenfury, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Apr 19, 2021
  4. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

Children bypassing web filters use add account

I have family safety setup with content restrictions and both a block and allow list for websites. The kids have found a way to bypass web restrictions and go to youtube using Mail, Manage Accounts then add account. I don't think they have to add an account.
    They may just login to a second unrestricted account and then access youtube. They don't do it while I am around, and I don't have many more specifics. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have a solution?

I seems they use a directory under the user directory. Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Start Menu\Programs\startup\"a name" sometimes dddd sometimes yotubw, but I think this folder name can be anything.

Thanks

A_Concerned_Parent, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions

1. Security Issue: Teams allows to bypass familiy web access restrictions - Similar Threads - Security Issue Teams

2. Silentcleanup task - bypass UAC security issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Silentcleanup task - bypass UAC security issue: Hello! This issue with the task below and the setting to run with highest privileges has been flagged as a security risk. I know individually you can just uncheck the box, however I've been tasked to do this enterprise wide vis GPO. Does anyone know of a way to do this via...
  3. Restricting access to install or download anything off the web

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Restricting access to install or download anything off the web: Is there away to restrict a computer from being able to install or download anything off the web without authroizations of like a password made by the person monitoring what that user is and is not allowed to install on their computer?...
  4. Removable Drive Access Access restriction Implementation on Security Group and not the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Removable Drive Access Access restriction Implementation on Security Group and not the...: Hello all, I have implemented Removable Drive Access Access restriction on all the OUs with an exemption of one OUs into which I drag and drop a PC to allow access. Please help set elevation options such that whenever I need to allow access, I just elevate the user or add...
  5. Microsoft Family bypass URL restriction by clicking link in Teams

Microsoft Family bypass URL restriction by clicking link in Teams: I am blocking YouTube.com through MS Family on my son's Windows 10 laptop, which he is using for remote learning. His class uses MS Teams and he accesses it through MS Edge browser. I have disabled all other browsers since Edge is the only browser that supports site blocking....
  6. Bypass of allowed sites

Bypass of allowed sites: I have Microsoft Family set up to block all sites but those which are on the allow list. This appeared to be working but I have found a .htm file on my child's computer that when launched bypasses this check. The site in question happens to be discord.com. So, if you open a...
  7. Bypass 30 day billing security restriction.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Bypass 30 day billing security restriction.: My friends recently brought the free game Vigor and after looking into it it looks like a fun game to play. The problem was the game is only on the Microsoft store website not the desktop app, this created several problems for me. I tried to download the game with my main...
  8. Web Browsing Content Restriction

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Web Browsing Content Restriction: How do I allow all pages from a web page like Wikipedia.org. I assumed wikipedia.org or wikipedia.org* would work but that only allows access to wikipedia home page, not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Jefferson...
  9. Microsoft content restrictions web

Microsoft content restrictions web: Hello i am setting up my sons laptop. And the content restrictions for web browsing the setting is on and it seems to block literally everything. And even when i give permission each time as safe it blocks the next tome. what am i missing ? thanks in advance...
  10. Bypass internet restrictions on child account easily??

Bypass internet restrictions on child account easily??: Hi everyone, I've noticed the following issue, and wanted to know if anyone had a solution. Using family controls, you can block access to certain websites, but this only works for Microsoft edge. You have the option to block certain other browsers, but there's no option to...