Windows 10: Security Issues in Two-step Verification

Discus and support Security Issues in Two-step Verification in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The issue: I changed my password for Microsoft about a month ago because my Spotify account was successfully logged into from Russia. I live in... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VortexWx, Aug 28, 2020.

1. VortexWx Win User

Security Issues in Two-step Verification

The issue:

I changed my password for Microsoft about a month ago because my Spotify account was successfully logged into from Russia. I live in Tucson, AZ. Apparently that didn't raise a flag for them. I had been fairly lazy lately and had the same password for multiple sites my MS account was not one of them so I immediately made unique passwords for every account I had, including a new and far more difficult one for my Microsoft account. I'm hoping it's not too long for my Xbox 360 since there is a length limit. I am afraid to check.

Today I got a notification in my Hotmail and my Gmail account which is the backup for security reasons that there was an unauthorized attempted login in Oklahoma. No details as to whether or not it was successful. I did verify that on my Microsoft account security page. So I click the link in my email to change my password. It takes me to a page with the verification popup. It's asking me as usual for my preferred method. Phone or email. It says to put in the last 4 of my phone number for a text or to email it to my backup address. Now these options normally look like Phone *** ***-**23 and *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. You must be able to fill in the blanks. Well not this time. The verification popup had my complete phone number and email address showing. I knew that was wrong.

So I contacted a Microsoft Support team member through the support chat. Thick as a brick or simply lazy. He said not to worry. It wasn't an issue. I sent him a screenshot. He said it wasn't a big deal. I beg to differ. That is a MAJOR ISSUE. I also got spammed in my inbox with every. Single. Reply. Every single line of the chat was another email. 13 emails! One chat! This is beyond ridiculous. And this is a major security issue. Saying it's no big deal is a load of garbage.

Also, with the Bing app on my phone. Please stop forcing me to scroll by open lesions and expletives while I'm trying to have a cup of coffee and read the news in the morning!!!

:)

VortexWx, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Source: G Suite Updates Blog: New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Brink, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Source: G Suite Updates Blog: New 2-Step Verification options for G Suite accounts

Brink, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Security Issues in Two-step Verification

Remove 2-step verification on Skype

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community. I will certainly assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to turn off the two-step verification in the Microsoft account and check if it helps.

Refer to the steps given in the link below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Note: If two step verification is turned off, you will have to verify your identity with security codes periodically, when there might be a risk to your account security.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further assistance.

Swathi Ravichandran, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Security Issues in Two-step Verification

1. Security Issues in Two-step Verification - Similar Threads - Security Issues step

2. two step verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  3. two step verification

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  4. two step verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two-Step Verification Process

Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  6. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  7. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  9. Two Step verification problem

Two Step verification problem: I have a personal computer at home and all of a sudden everytime I sign into my computer and go to my websites to sign in, I am asked to go through a two step verification. How did this change? How do I fix it? I am using Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge....
  10. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...