Windows 10: Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive

Discus and support Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm trying to get a USB security key setup and I have a USB plugged in but it acting like there is no USB drive in my computer. this error also keeps... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GavinLarsen, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive

I'm trying to get a USB security key setup and I have a USB plugged in but it acting like there is no USB drive in my computer. this error also keeps popping up and I don't exactly know what it means IDK what I need to put on the USB. /G is the USB drive.

:)

GavinLarsen, Jul 1, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

usb drive not recognized

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you get an error, ‘USB device not recognized’ when connecting a USB drive. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the update that was installed? To check go to
      Start >> Settings >> Update & Security >> Windows Update >> View update history.
    • Does the issue occur with only one USB drive?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer
      Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

I would suggest you to try plugging the USB to a different USB port and check if that helps. You can also try connecting the USB to a different computer and check.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    Error: “USB Device not recognized" when you try to access
    a USB external hard drive
    except Method 1 & 2 and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 1, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    dont have usb for security key

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get better clarity on the issue, please let us know:

• When you say “got deleted off usb or usb flash drive is not working either way", are you unable to use USB flash drive on the computer?
    • When you say “I don't exactly have a security key", which security key are you referring to?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? Refer
      Which version of Windows operating system am I running?

I would suggest you to try plugging the USB to a different USB port and check if that helps. You can also try connecting the USB to a different computer and check.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Error: “USB Device not recognized" when you try to access a USB external hard drive
    except Method 1 & 2 and see if that makes any difference.

A security key is a physical device that you can use instead of your user name and password to sign in. Since it’s used in addition to a fingerprint or PIN, even if someone has your security key, they won’t be able to sign in without the PIN or fingerprint
    that you create.​​​

However, if you had configured security key earlier by any chance, you may refer Sign
    in to your Microsoft account with Windows Hello or a security key

For additional information, see
    Windows Hello and FIDO2 Security Keys enable secure and easy authentication for shared devices

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 1, 2021
  4. Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive

usb drive not recognized

Kirt Pierre

Sat 7/4/2020 4:59 AM

• Microsoft Community

Good Morning Nikhar,
    Do please pardon my late response. You had requested the following information as it relates to

" An external usb 3.0 drive not being recognized" in Windows 10.

As follows:

Thanking you in advance Nikhar for your professional help and feedback.
    Kind Regards,
    Kirt

KirtPierre, Jul 1, 2021
Thema:

Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive

1. Security key doesnt recognize my usb drive - Similar Threads - Security key doesnt

2. Usb security key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb security key: I would like to logon on my local administrator account with a security usb key; is this possible? And if it is, how do I do it and which brand + type can you recommend?My windows 11 is a home edition....
  3. Usb security key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb security key: I would like to logon on my local administrator account with a security usb key; is this possible? And if it is, how do I do it and which brand + type can you recommend?My windows 11 is a home edition....
  4. Xbox Game Bar doesnt recognize my nvme drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Bar doesnt recognize my nvme drives: i dont believe there is a game that supports it yet, but i wanted to check if my pc was ready for Direct Storage or not. My C drive is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB and my D and F drives are Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB yet when I check the Xbox game Bar i get this. My motherboard...
  5. BIOS DOESNT RECOGNIZE MY DRIVES

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS DOESNT RECOGNIZE MY DRIVES: Hello, I was installing Ubuntu in dual boot, I have an ssd and a hard drive, I was setting up the ssd as the main boot disk and the hdd as the /home disk for storage, in the process my pc crashed and it rebooted the system. My bios opened and reseted itself and doesn’t...
  6. usb drive not recognized

usb drive not recognized: Microsoft updated my win10 then shut down my computer. I have just loaded their crippling mode s and am trying to download Linux from usb but computer down not seem to recognize there is a usb drive plugged in....
  7. USB Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive Not Recognized: Hi, I have a USB drive that is not showing up in file explorer. Just yesterday it was working fine, but when I plugged it into my computer today, it is not showing up. I've tried updating and reinstalling the drivers from device manager and restarting my computer, but that...
  8. usb security key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    usb security key: wont finich had an error cant remember which one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-security-key/986dec62-dc92-442e-9e2c-9d2e6a626fb8"
  9. window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    window 10 doesnt recognize my 2nd hard drive: I just add my 2nd HDD into my pc, but window doesn't recognize the HDD. I see in the device manager but doesn't show up in file explorer or storage setting. I try scan for hardware changes, uninstalling it and updating driver. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  10. USB drives not recognized

USB drives not recognized: After recent update USB drives are not recognized; tried 3 separate ones. There is a sound when plugged in / taken out. The drives work OK on other computers. USB keyboard and hub work. Connected to hub printer, scanner and cordless mouse work. Device manager shows no faults...