Windows 10: Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification

Discus and support Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I'm wondering if my Windows 10 security has been compromised. I opened my AOL account this evening and there were five!!!! emails from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaffyDuckKangaroo, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification

Hello,

I'm wondering if my Windows 10 security has been compromised. I opened my AOL account this evening and there were five!!!! emails from Microsoft stating that they noticed I've been trying to access my Microsoft Live account but that since I had turned on two-step verification, I would need an app password, and then there was a link explaining how to get one. Below is a copy of the email(s). The problem is I don't remember trying to access my Live account this evening -- it's the account on the computer I always use and am using now -- but I'm not even sure what the email means when it says "access." Does it mean an unofficial device -- so not this computer and not me -- is trying to gain access to my account?

Not sure what to do now, or if anything needs to be done just to be safe. The emails were about 15 seconds apart, but what's particularly strange is that I never ever -- ever -- use my Live account for email or communicating with anyone. I'm the only person who knows I have it, at least I think that's the case. I'm wondering if I possibly compromised my own security on a message board I frequent in some way or another.

The address the emails were sent from is the following: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** I have the same Microsoft Live account on my Windows phone, too.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Daffy D

Microsoft account
    You need an app password
    We noticed that you tried to sign in with the password for your Microsoft account on one of these apps or devices. Since you've turned on two-step verification for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, you need to use an app password instead for any of the following to work with two-step verification. We've sent this reminder to all the security info you've provided. If you haven't already done this, we'll help you set up these apps and devices with app passwords:

:)

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Jan 31, 2019

2. email account hacked. please help

Then I suggest you use it.

TheMailMan78, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Remove 2-step verification on Skype

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community. I will certainly assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to turn off the two-step verification in the Microsoft account and check if it helps.

Refer to the steps given in the link below:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/two-step-verification-faq

Note: If two step verification is turned off, you will have to verify your identity with security codes periodically, when there might be a risk to your account security.

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further assistance.

Swathi Ravichandran, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification

Turning off 2 step verification

Having recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 I was prompted to 2 step verification. the logic and reason is sound. However since doing this I cannot get into my hotmail.co.uk using my iPhone. I found a link to the
    solution when I removed the authenticator app on my phone. Only to find a similar issue dated 2013. I have logged in via my PC running Windows 10, my laptop running windows 7 Professional and an ipad going in via safari. NO WHERE is this option visible.

Turning off 2-Step Verification
    • In “Signing in & security” section of My Account, select 2-Step Verification. Sign in with your username, password, and verification
      code if asked.
    • Select Turn off 2-Step Verification.
    • A pop-up window will appear to confirm that you want to turn off 2-Step Verification. Select OK
    How can this be achieved. I use emails on my phone for work being self employed and it is causing me issues.

As this problem seems to have been around for a few years surely there must be a resolution now. I really do not want to have to drop my Hotmail account as it is widely known, but if no solution is available I will have no option.

Eric Castle, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification

1. Security on Windows 10: Message in email on Two-Step Verification - Similar Threads - Security Message email

2. two step verification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  3. two step verification

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    two step verification: How do I turn two step verification off in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-step-verification/5498ac50-1353-4147-a1df-63fb4e008a90
  4. two step verification

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Two-Step Verification Process

Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  6. Two-Step Verification Process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two-Step Verification Process: I changed my phone number and I can't add my current number without verifying my identity with the old one. I don't have access to my previous phone number. what can I do? Microsoft associates won't receive my phone call as this is a 'password' problem that can be solved...
  7. two-step verification

two-step verification: I having started having trouble with two-step verification. Long ago "Verify your identity" displayed all verification options email or mobile. At some point, I only had the mobile option display. This was fine because that is the method I use. In the past ~two weeks, the...
  8. Two Step verification problem

Two Step verification problem: I have a personal computer at home and all of a sudden everytime I sign into my computer and go to my websites to sign in, I am asked to go through a two step verification. How did this change? How do I fix it? I am using Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge....
  9. Security Issues in Two-step Verification

Security Issues in Two-step Verification: The issue: I changed my password for Microsoft about a month ago because my Spotify account was successfully logged into from Russia. I live in Tucson, AZ. Apparently that didn't raise a flag for them. I had been fairly lazy lately and had the same password for multiple...
  10. Two step verification

Two step verification: When I try to sign into a google account on my desktop, I get a popup message (not a text message) on my phone asking me to confirm the the sign in attempt, "Yes" or "No". But it never works. I wait and wait for it to be recognized, and I am finally forced to "choose...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. aol 2 step authentication

2. Windows 10 mail and AOL

3. 2 step authentication aol mail windows 10