Windows 10: Security Question I have this Morning

Discus and support Security Question I have this Morning in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All This is related mostly to older little Intel Atom System running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, it's a little sluggish with newest Avast on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Security Question I have this Morning

Hi All

This is related mostly to older little Intel Atom System running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, it's a little sluggish with newest Avast on that model, Trying Defender on my main gaming system, so far it isn't affecting performance that much and might actually stick with it for once lol. Anyhow does Microsoft Security Essentials offer about same protection on Windows 7?

Memory is maxed out in that system, hard drive bolted to motherboard, system is Acer Aspire Revo R1600

General websurfing on that system, email writing, sometimes music listening, nothing too demanding ever done

:)

AMDMan2016, Jun 1, 2017

2. I have woken up this morning and found that windows 10 is part uploaded even though I did not allow it ( done automatically in the night)

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Please hit on any key from the computer to check if it is responding to the key. I suggest you to wait for some more time and see what happens.

Please reply with the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jun 1, 2017
  3. Bob 1946 Win User
    I have woken up this morning and found that windows 10 is part uploaded even though I did not allow it ( done automatically in the night)

The screen is locked with message that 86% of files are copied and this has not changed in 2 hours... is the PC locked up ? or still copying files etc? what stage is this process at ? how soon can I get my PC back ? can i stop the process ?

thanks for any help... I need access to my PC for important work today.

Bob 1946, Jun 1, 2017
  4. Security Question I have this Morning

MSE uses the same definition updates as WD, but it lacks more advanced features.
    But if your system runs fine with it, you should probably keep it, it will protect you.
    You might try to install Avast in Custom mode with Minimal Protection setting.

TairikuOkami, Jun 1, 2017
  5. Yeah I might continue using Avast, that little machine is a bit slow though, so not sure if I can keep that one on Avast lol, but It might run it ok still, will have to see.

This Desktop is 8 Core AMD FX 8310 3.4ghz (no issues running Avast if I should choose to)
    Upstairs Machine Intel Atom processor, forget which model lol, I know 1.6ghz

AMDMan2016, Jun 1, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
  7. Yes Clean boot performance much better on that Windows 7 Home Premium Little Intel Atom system, Peformance very well on 8 Core Desktop which is my main used PC

AMDMan2016, Jun 1, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

Security Question I have this Morning

With clean boot improving performance you can leave it in clean boot or you can further troubleshoot to identify the problematic application(s).

To continue troubleshooting use msconfig and view the number of unchecked non-Microsoft applications.
    If there are 32 unchecked boxes now check 1/2 of them and reboot.
    Check the performance.
    Return to the system configuration and un-check the boxes that were just checked and check the other 1/2.
    Check the performance.
    In most cases there should now be a difference in performance between the two groups.
    Now you know that the application/service that is impacting performance is the identified group.
    For the group of 16 that has impacted performance or 1/2 of the 32 for example now un-uncheck 1/2 of them and reboot.
    Compare the 8 checked and 8 unchecked.
    Keep reducing the number until you get to the problematic application/service.
    Once you have the problematic application/service you have these choices:
    1) always leave it unchecked
    2) uninstall the application
    3) uninstall and reinstall the application

Many people use their computer in selective startup to have the fastest boots and the best performance:

Windows 10 Performance and Install Integrity Checklist - Microsoft Community

zbook, Jun 2, 2017
  9. Yes will look into that, system performance is excellent in fact on Windows 10 Desktop machine--nice and fast, as for second system(Windows 7 Home Premium--Acer Revo R1600) won't ever be as fast , think mainly just ram on it, only has 2gb lol

Ran sfc /scannow on this Desktop
    removed some startup items
    removed some other programs
    cleaned temp folders

so think all good now on the Desktop system

still have to work more on the secondary system, but might save that til tomorrow lol

AMDMan2016, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security Question I have this Morning

1. Security Question I have this Morning - Similar Threads - Security Question Morning

2. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  3. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  4. I have a question

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I have a question: My laptop decided my pin is no longer available due to a change of security. It has options for set up my pin or sign in options, my mouse will hover over them highlighting them, but not let me click on them...
  5. i have a question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have a question: my pc is 4gb ram and 1.80 ghz processeur it will run windows 8.1 as well ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-question/6ea52947-8567-41aa-986c-3c9570f064eb
  6. I have a question related to windows security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a question related to windows security: when I try to click on "windows security" from taskbar and again click on "run quick scan" it shows some alert message like "Your IT administrator has limited access to some area of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more...
  7. I have a question related to windows security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a question related to windows security: when I try to click on "windows security" from taskbar and again click on "run quick scan" it shows some alert message like "Your IT administrator has limited access to some area of this app, and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT helpdesk for more...
  8. I have a question related to windows security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. I have a question.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a question.: I'm using 3 different hard drives on my pc. All 3 has windows 10 and I switch them regularly. This might be a weird question but does anyone know what happenes if you switch hard drives while the pc is in sleep mode? I'm kinda scared to test it. If someone who saw this...
  10. I have a question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a question: I am a gamer,in the game i have my own sensitivity settings,and i use windows 7.If i want to use Windows 10,i can apply the same sensitivity in game settings,but what about mouse dpi,in windows 7 its not a anumerical setting,but low-medium-high (Something like that). How do i...