Windows 10: Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure?

Discus and support Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Sorry to be asking such a basic question, but this is related to my network's security so I thought it was important enough to ask about.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NiceAndShy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure?

Hi all,

Sorry to be asking such a basic question, but this is related to my network's security so I thought it was important enough to ask about.

I just checked and my "Security Mode" is set to "WPA2 Personal".

The WiFi Network is 2.4Ghz.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you!

EDIT:

I changed the security mode on the wifi router to "WPA2 Personal".

:)

NiceAndShy, Jan 11, 2018

2. Nokia N8 WLAN "Invalid Server Name" Error

the only difference, my router's security set for WPA Personal, not WEP.

So my phone's "WLAN Security mode" is set for WPA/WPA2 and at the "WLAN security settings" I made appropriate changes according my router settings: "WPA/WPA2" is set for Pre-shared key, at "Pre-Shared key" type the password of your network and "WPA2 only mode"
    is set for Off.

And don't forget to change Settings/Connectivity/Network/"Network mode" for Dual mode.

I made those changes and everything worked!

and I'm proud of it Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure? :)

Hope it helps to others facing same prob!!

seventh_heaven, Jan 11, 2018
  3. hadimassa Win User
    N95-3 - really need wifi EAP-LEAP

Choose as modus: WPA/WPA2-> Wlan security settings-> WPA/WPA2-> EAP.

hadimassa, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure?

WPA2 Personal is the usual security mode for basic networks (using a pre-shared password).

With WPA2 there are 2 supported encryption protocols: WPA2-TKIP is insecure and deprecated but some routers may still allow it for backwards compatibility with very old devices. WPA2-AES (aka WPA2-CCMP) is the preferred encryption method.

While not perfectly secure, as there have been a few flaws found in its 14-year lifespan, WPA2 is still the best we have for now. If you have further security needs then use a VPN.

Wi-Fi Security: Should You Use WPA2-AES, WPA2-TKIP, or Both? has more detailed explanations.

PolarNettles, Jan 11, 2018
  5. Helmut Win User
    My Wireless Access Point is now set to WPA2-PSK(AES) in recent years, which has been upped from WPA2-PSK(AES)+WPA-PSK(TKIP).
    The WPA-PSK(TKIP) was kept for compatibility for older stuff which has now been replaced.

Both security options have been cracked. However you just use the highest level that is compatible with your hardware.

Some manufacturers use slightly different terms, which is confusing, WPA2 Personal is probably the same as WPA2-PSK(AES) for recent kit. The detailed specs should tell you.

Helmut, Jan 12, 2018
  6. TairikuOkami, Jan 12, 2018
  7. ericnixmd Win User
    I have a massive migraine after thinking of trying to type that password into my iPhone, iPad, and IoT devices. :O

ericnixmd, Jan 13, 2018
  8. Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure?

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  9. That is just scareware, if you are connecting to encrypted webpages (https), you are still protected. Anyone can eavesdrop to your connection along the way, not just via wifi, but SSL connection makes sure, it stays encrypted.

TairikuOkami, Jan 13, 2018
  10. Around 25% of web traffic is still not using HTTPS. So there is still value in having layered protection.

PolarNettles, Jan 13, 2018
  11. Because they do not need it, only Google is forcing them to get SSL, but it only helps malware.
    I use the same login and password (mine is Password123) on them, so whatever. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure?

1. Security Question: Is WPA2/WPA Personal Secure? - Similar Threads - Security Question WPA2

2. Security question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security question: Hello, would Windows defender work together with Malwarebytes free, or would Malwarebytes stop windows defender from operating as in the message: you are using other antivirus providers? I cannot turn real time protection on. I uninstalled Malwarebytes free, but the same...
  3. Security question

Security question: Hello, I am running windows 10 and I noticed that in Virus and threat protection setting - real time protection is in off position and i cannot put it back into on position. Above it, it tells me that I am using other antivirus providers. When I click on Who is protecting me...
  4. Wifi Security Type WPA2 issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Security Type WPA2 issue: Hi Team Recently my laptop updated windows 10 to 11 after seems i am unable to change Wi-Fi Security type WPA2.Could you pls advise solution.I done all BIOS , Firemware, Network driver installed also windows up to date...
  5. Wifi Security Type WPA2 issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Security Type WPA2 issue: Hi Team Recently my laptop updated windows 10 to 11 after seems i am unable to change Wi-Fi Security type WPA2.Could you pls advise solution.I done all BIOS , Firemware, Network driver installed also windows up to date...
  6. Security questions

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Security questions: I want to change the security questions for windows and I cannot. I signed in with a local account, I followed the steps but... still no results. Can you help me, please?...
  7. Personalization and Security

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalization and Security: Seems to have lost ability to personalize or customize screens in background of start, shortcut screens after update. It's either white or dark grey. How can this function be restored? Should I purchase a VPN Software?...
  8. Can't Connect a Network After Changed Security Settings WPA to WPA2 Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Connect a Network After Changed Security Settings WPA to WPA2 Win10: I connected an semi-publicits an shop's wifi network a few hours ago. When i was using internet, Win10 gave me an notification as "this network is not safe". After this notification, i googled "how can increase network security". An web page said, the source of this problem...
  9. security question

security question: I recently had a message pop up on my computer from a company called Econosoft support. was told I needed a firewall installed. I installed it for big $$$. My question is ; did I really need this and maybe I should cancel. I already have security through my Frontier phone...
  10. Personal security,

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personal security,: Is it possible for a bad person to find my physical/street address via my Gmail address , how can I prevent same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/personal-security/e6aa038c-3011-431b-b90d-0e3307150437