Windows 10: Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session

Discus and support Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have a scenario where I want to communicate with a software which requires an active logged on user. Upon a bit of searching, I realized that I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Archan Ranade, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session

Hi,

I have a scenario where I want to communicate with a software which requires an active logged on user. Upon a bit of searching, I realized that I can use the tscon.exe utility inbuilt in Windows Reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/tscon. This utility disconnects the remote session used via Remote Desktop. However the user still remains logged in. I wanted to know whether there are any security risks associated by doing this. The machine on which I am using to disconnect is a VM, not an actual physical machine. Please let me know if there are any specific security risks associate with this.

Thanx,

Archan

:)

Archan Ranade, Sep 18, 2020
  2. cubrman Win User

“tscon 'SessionID' /dest:console” always shows “Session ID not found”

I have a script that closes remote desktop connection and runs an application on a remote computer. It is helpful when the application requires a special access to your GPU.

To shut down the remote session the script uses:

tscon 'SessionID' /dest:console

The script is no longer working after I switched to Windows 10 - tscon constantly shows "Session ID not found" error. I use "query session" to figure out my SessionID.

cubrman, Sep 18, 2020
  3. Can't restore console using tscon after Feature Update 1903

Hi Clark,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while restoring the Remote Desktop Console using TSCON on Windows 10 1903.

Since the issue is related to Remote Desktop Session, we do have a dedicated team who support issues related to Remote Desktop and TSCON. I would suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 18, 2020
  4. TomMartow Win User

Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session

[Help] Remote Desktop Connection

Instead of disconnecting the remote connection as usual, run the tscon command on remote host. If you want to make it simpler you can create a shortcut for the tscon command on remote host desktop.

Kari Can I not make this happen automatically?

TomMartow, Sep 18, 2020
Thema:

Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session

1. Security risks by using tscon.exe to disconnect Remote session - Similar Threads - Security risks using

2. Remote desktop session disconnections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote desktop session disconnections: Hello to all.I have a problem with one of users of my RDS server.Client is Windows 10, server is Windows Server 2016Client works via openvpn connection At start of a work, he has multiple cases of remote desktop session disconnections mostly at first 1-2 hour of working,...
  3. Remote desktop session disconnections

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote desktop session disconnections: Hello to all.I have a problem with one of users of my RDS server.Client is Windows 10, server is Windows Server 2016Client works via openvpn connection At start of a work, he has multiple cases of remote desktop session disconnections mostly at first 1-2 hour of working,...
  4. Remote desktop session disconnections

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. RDP Application Collection remote app session disconnects to often to use

RDP Application Collection remote app session disconnects to often to use: I have an application set up in a collection on 2019 DC. Due to the RDP session disconnecting constantly my users are not able to use the shortcut to the remote application as once they get connected it drops the connection. I am at a loss as to why this is happening. Anyone...
  6. Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon: I connect to RDP user session on the VM from command line tscon. The problem is I am not able to connect to the session if it is not active. Is there a way to connect to the rdp session using tscon even if user session is disconnected? Or Can I make disconnected session...
  7. Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon

Connect to disconnected RDP remote connection using tscon: I connect to RDP user session on the VM from command line tscon. The problem is I am not able to connect to the session if it is not active. Is there a way to connect to the rdp session using tscon even if user session is disconnected? Or Can I make disconnected session...
  8. The Remote Computer disconnected the session...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Remote Computer disconnected the session...: I'm trying to set up a new PC in my workplace. We use Remote Desktop to connect to our server, which is an ancient win2000 unit, but I've set up plenty of new Windows 10 machines throughout the office and never had this issue. Normally, I enter the address of the server and...
  9. The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers...

in Windows 10 News
    The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers...: [ATTACH]Remote Desktop Session Host (RDSH) is a role in Remote Desktop Services (RDS) that host Windows applications or desktops. These can be accessed using the […] This article The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers...
  10. Remote session was disconnected because there are no remote deskcop license servers...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote session was disconnected because there are no remote deskcop license servers...: I'm trying to connect to a host server and am getting this message. Is the problem on my end or the host's end? How would I go about checking to see if the problem is on my side? The tech support on the host's side won't be available until Monday morning, and I need to...