Windows 10: security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown'

Discus and support security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown' in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is is okay to download a gameboy emulator from the internet? Do these apps pose a security risk to my files and privacy in any way that I should be... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by superbooyaaman, Mar 27, 2021.

1. security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown'

Is is okay to download a gameboy emulator from the internet? Do these apps pose a security risk to my files and privacy in any way that I should be alarmed about? The publisher of the 'mgba' application a gameboy emulator that I downloaded from the internet is 'unknwon'

:)

superbooyaaman, Mar 27, 2021
  2. Ram_482 Win User

Unknown Publisher when trying the installer(exe/msi) on windows 10

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installers(msi/exe)" using "Setup Wizard".

When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application "publisher" is being reported as "Unknown".

I've gone through some references and found that the setup.exe needs to be digitally signed with the certificate. So,

i have followed below steps to add digital signature to the setup.exe

1. Create Digital certificate (https://knowledge.digicert.com/solution/SO26065.html)

2. Using signtool i have digitally signed setup.exe

signtool.exe sign /f "E:\sample.pfx" /p "sample@123" /tr
    Time Stamp Server & Stamping Protocols | Sectigo® Official /v "E:\setup.exeWhen
    i try to run setup.exe locally, the application "publisher" is reported as "localhost" instead of "Unknown", but if i

run the same setup.exe on another system application "publisher" is reported as "Unknown"Please provide any suggestions on fixing this "Unknown
    Publisher" issue

Ram_482, Mar 27, 2021
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    unknown publisher

Hey, J.K. Rowling was an unknown publisher before Harry Potter, and look what happened to her.

But in your case, the 'unknown publisher' refers to the security certificate that vouches for a software program. These certificates need to be renewed annually or they become invalid, and Windows won't run software with an invalid security certificate.
    CM Tray is part of a very old program. Upgrade to the most recent version of the program, which will likely have a valid security certificate.

BulldogXX, Mar 27, 2021
  4. BulldogXX Win User

security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown'

Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'

"Can't run program with 'unknown publisher'"

"I am attempting to open a program with an unknown publisher"

BulldogXX, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown'

1. security risks of installing and running applications whose publishers are 'unknown' - Similar Threads - security risks installing

2. AllCachedMemberCapability Unknown accounts windows 10 22H2 Security Risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AllCachedMemberCapability Unknown accounts windows 10 22H2 Security Risk: Hi. I have problems with all the Unknown accounts in windows 10 22H2. That only shows in AllCachedMemberCapability now.It seems like many people had access to my pc that only I use alone.Many times the folders has unknown account labeled on users which I can't remove...
  3. AllCachedMemberCapability Unknown accounts windows 10 22H2 Security Risk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AllCachedMemberCapability Unknown accounts windows 10 22H2 Security Risk: Hi. I have problems with all the Unknown accounts in windows 10 22H2. That only shows in AllCachedMemberCapability now.It seems like many people had access to my pc that only I use alone.Many times the folders has unknown account labeled on users which I can't remove...
  4. AllCachedMemberCapability Unknown accounts windows 10 22H2 Security Risk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unknown application running on Laptop screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown application running on Laptop screen: i got an unknown app open on my laptop screen and idk what it is. it started to appear about a week ago. i try Window Security scan, MS windows malicious software removal tool. i try disabled start up service in msconfig. and nothing help....
  6. Unknown Publisher!!

Unknown Publisher!!: i have ran into today a UAC from a program i downloaded saying it was a Unknown publisher the program is ROBOMIND and it downloaded it from the official site! so question: Can i trust it and click, yes? is robomind even safe? and have you tried and experienced found any...
  7. unknown application running

unknown application running: recently this few days i just update my Windows 10 Home, after those updates i have this unknown application try to run everytime i start my PC, it pop up and blocked by my Panda Dome Global Protection notification with this something like code or script :...
  8. WordPad.exe is suddenly "Publisher: Unknown"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WordPad.exe is suddenly "Publisher: Unknown": I think this must have happened since Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903, I now have to OK it with UAC. Of course I can manage but it's a nuisance and whyever can't Microsoft recognise its own app? And can I fix it? *Huh 138173
  9. permanently turn off 'security warning' 'publisher unknown'

permanently turn off 'security warning' 'publisher unknown': permanently turn off 'security warning' 'publisher unknown' 'always ask before asking this file' is already off 108401
  10. unknown installation running

in Windows 10 Support
    unknown installation running: I can't install or uninstall anything. I get a message saying another installation is running, but I can't locate and don't know of any. 27902