Windows 10: Security settings for external esata / usb drive

Discus and support Security settings for external esata / usb drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by albert1, Jul 27, 2018.

1. albert1 Win User

Security settings for external esata / usb drive

Hello,

Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of Windows.

I have a 1TB external SATA drive (accessing from an eSata and USB connection) that I need to access from all my PC's (including a Linux installation)

The problem I keep running into with the 1TB external drive is I'm constantly running into access denied errors for certain files and folders.

error: "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied"

The problem I think is because the external drive has permissions from when used with other PCs running other versions of Windows.

So recently I took ownership of the drive from my currently booted Windows 10 PC. However I have another Windows 10 PC plus other 3 other PCs running earlier versions of windows that need to also have access the external drive.

Under properties of the root of the drive, Security > Advanced > Ownership has permission entries with Full Access Control for Assistance ops, Everyone, SYSTEM, Current pc, 5 x accounts unknown, Administrator & Administrators

I haven't checked the entire drive but it appears I now have access to the external drive's files and folders from my currently booted Windows 10 PC.

However in the past after taking ownership from one PCs there were access denied errors for certain files and folder while booted to a different Windows PC.

So when booted to another PC often required to take ownership from that PC in order to have access certain files and folders.

I haven't tried booting to anther PC recently. From past experience I assume the access denied problem will likely occur again when booting to another PC.

I'm wondering if there's a method to setup the external drive's security settings and ownership so I'm not require to keep changing ownership and/or security settings to access files and folders of the external drive?

I need full access to all the files and folder no matter which Windows PC I'm accessing the external drive from.

:)

albert1, Jul 27, 2018
  2. cdawall Win User

USB eSata External Stick!

You can do that with any external drive. It doesn't matter esata, USB, fw, tb etc. People have known about this for a long time. In fact servers come with an internal USB a header for this exact reason... Welcome to 2005.

cdawall, Jul 27, 2018
  3. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an eSata connection and a USB2 connection. Both these work fine on the old Medion PC running Windows 10 Home 32bit. The eSata connection is much faster speed and I have a eSata to USB3 adaptor cable which works fine on the Medion PC.
    I want to use this external drive of a newer PC that only has USB 2 and 3 connections. It works fine plugged into both USB2 and USB3 with the standard USB to USB cable.
    But plugging the eSata to USB3 cable in nothing happens.
    I have tried to see if I can get a driver from Medion but the unit is not listed on their web site.
    Also have tried to see if I can get a driver on the internet and did install one that looked hopeful but did not help.
    Attached are images of the showing the drivers in use on the Medion PC (Windows 10 Home 32 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable and eSata to USB cable.
    Also attached is image of driver in use on newer PC (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable.

Older Medion PC says when connected with eSata to USB cable that External Hard Drive is a ASMT 2115 USB device - disk drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.0 21/06/2006)
    and when connected by USB to USB cable as Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 USB drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.0 21/06/2006).

On newer PC (Win 10 Pro 64 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable it says Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 USB drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.1613 21/06/2006).

Any suggestions on how to get the eSata to USB3 cable connection for this externasl hard drive to work on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC?
    Would it be possible to copy some how driver from older PC to new PC?

Many thanks for any advice.

Security settings for external esata / usb drive [​IMG]

Security settings for external esata / usb drive [​IMG]

Chillblast2017, Jul 27, 2018
  4. luarpc Win User

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

Hi Chillbast2017.

Try this:

Connect your External Hard Drive eSata to USB3 to new pc.
    Open Computer Management, then Disk Management and at the bottom search for your 1 TB external hard drive, if you can see it there, right click mouse on it, then click on Change Drive Letter and Paths, click on Add, choose Assign the Following Drive Letter, choose the letter on your right and click ok. Close Computer Management. See if it worked. I had the same problem with an old HD on Windows 10 x64, windows didn't recognize the hard drive connected with eSata cable to USB 2 or 3, and this did the trick.

Cheers

luarpc, Jul 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Security settings for external esata / usb drive - Similar Threads - Security settings external

2. New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives: Windows Server Backup will successfully backup to local SATA drives and NAS file shares, but I can't get it to save to a Backup Schedule using external SATA drives in a USB or eSATA dock. I have tried 4TB Seagate drives and 2TB WD drives and it will always backup the EFI boot...
  3. New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Server 2022 fails to backup to external USB or eSATA drives: Windows Server Backup will successfully backup to local SATA drives and NAS file shares, but I can't get it to save to a Backup Schedule using external SATA drives in a USB or eSATA dock. I have tried 4TB Seagate drives and 2TB WD drives and it will always backup the EFI boot...
  4. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  5. USB external Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external Drive: My wife's Windows 10 Pro PC suddenly died.Can I move her Ext drive to to my Windows 10 Pro PC, so we can read her files ?Both are identical DELL E6540's.I presently have my own Ext Drive all is working OK on my machine.Can I keep both of them plugged in ?We both are running...
  6. External HD & eSata port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD & eSata port: Some Windows Update kill my PC ability to see External HD plugged to eSata Port. Happened just in the last week, everything was working last time about a week ago. Pluged the SAME External HD via USB2/3 - all looks good. Another update broke Win10 functionality?!...
  7. eSata to USB?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    eSata to USB?: My laptop has an eSata socket but all of my external drive docks are USB 3. Are there any adapters available that would let me connect the two? 141577
  8. USB External Drive

USB External Drive: I use win 10. I have a Seagate external Slim Mobile Drive. It works fine but generates a warning in The USB Drive Device listing. The warning is: "This device cannot start." Should I Worry?...
  9. eSATA to USB 3 adapter?

eSATA to USB 3 adapter?: Sort of a hardware question: I I have an old PC with an front panel eSATA port (not power eSATA or eSATA + USB) and a couple USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports. I have no need for eSATA but have a number of USB 3.0 devices. I've been looking for an eSTAT-m to USB 3.0-f adapter or...
  10. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable: I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an eSata connection and a USB2 connection. Both these work fine on the old Medion PC running Windows 10 Home 32bit. The eSata...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb security settings

2. asmt 2115 windows 10