Windows 10: Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

Discus and support Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Microsoft Security Advisory 4022344 Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 8, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

Brink, May 8, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Just as a reference, this is as of 10:00am today. Go to Update and Security and open Windows Defender.

Windows 10 - 15063.250

Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine [​IMG]

:)

f14tomcat, May 8, 2017
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Wannacry - how to check if my Windows 10 1607 64 bit system is protected

I now understand how you combined them, but that's where the problem lies, since the patch released in March was the one I referenced in my post above for SMBv1, MS17-010.

The separate comment from Microsoft regarding Windows Defender is simply referencing the fact that a definition for the Wanna Cry/Wanna Crypt malware had been released as well and has nothing to do with the March Update.

The May 8th release of an urgent replacement to the Microsoft Anti-malware Engine had nothing to do with either of these, so I'd need to see that Fox article to see if that added to the confusion, which is quite possible with so many mostly unrelated, coincidental
    events in the same week.

Microsoft Security Advisory 4022344 - Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

Rob

Rob Koch, May 8, 2017
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Wannacry - how to check if my Windows 10 1607 64 bit system is protected

I'm not sure which you mean by the May update, but this may be contributing to your confusion and very possibly that in the Fox News live report as well, since such media reports are often riddled with inaccuracies relating to technical situations such as
    malware attacks.

Since the Microsoft Anti-malware engine and definition updates are both shipped in the same large package whenever the engine is updated, for some the difference between these may be blurred. The engines are typically only released once every one or two
    months, while new definitions packs are often released over a dozen times a day.

As for the engine security update, this provided a fix for the entirely separate issue covered in that advisory.

So neither of the anti-malware updates did anything to improve the situation regarding this vulnerability, and only the Wanna Cry definition released since Friday would have had anything to do with improving the ability for Defender or any other Microsoft
    security client app to detect and block the malware itself. This would have been a possible aid to those who for whatever reason had not installed the March MS17-010 patch, since it might at least have stopped the actual malware attack from succeeding in the
    worst case scenario that it was encountered.

Rob

< EDIT > As I stated from the beginning Bruce, the issue with your initial post had nothing to do with the basic facts, it's the implication you create in your first sentence below that the patch in March had anything to do with Windows Defender, which it
    didn't. In fact, if the SMBv1 patch had been installed, then neither Windows Defender nor any other security program was even necessary to provide protection from this specific malware, since the updated patch itself would have blocked it fully.

"Microsoft released a patch in March to protect this from happening when using Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 & 10. Most that were affected were using another version or security program. If you have all available
    updates installed, then the patch was installed regardless of when you updated."

So maybe rather than being confused by the various unrelated updates I've referenced, you simply didn't write that sentence well and/or keep the concept of anti-malware protection separate from the issue of the original SMBv1 patch. Regardless, the result
    is an inaccurate representation of what actually occurred or was required to provide the actual protection to prevent a Wanna Cry infection.

Rob Koch, May 8, 2017
  5. I just ran an update. You have a later Antimalware version than me. All else is the same. Must be you are on 10 Pro.

Wiley Coyote, May 8, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Clayton,

That's why I posted 15063.250 at the top. If you hold down the windows key and press R (Win key+R) and type WINVER, you will see the version you're on, which should match what's shown on the defender screen.

f14tomcat, May 8, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    No, I'm on Windows 10 Home version 1703, os build 15063.250 and it too shows Engine version: 1.1.13704.0 - the version which has this vulnerability addressed.

From the Advisory...

Bree, May 8, 2017
  8. Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

AH, CU Update 1703. I'm still waiting for Windows Update to take me there. Not that I'm in any hurry.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Think he was confused by the Antimalware vs Engine versions. He probably show Antimalware as 14393.

f14tomcat, May 8, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    My Anniversary Update system, 10 Pro version 1607, 14393.1066 also has the 1.1.13704.0 engine.

11. Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine [​IMG]

Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine [​IMG]

12. f14tomcat Win User
    Clayton, you're fine. All is where it should be.

f14tomcat, May 8, 2017
  13. Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

Question for people, who use third party AV, which disable WD, has the engine updated as well?!

TairikuOkami, May 8, 2017
  14. dskiller Win User
    for more the engine version for defender is 1.1.13802...

anyway I use avira so, wasnt even worried.

dskiller, May 9, 2017
  15. For RS1: 05-10-'17-6:30AM
    Home Edition
    Antimalware Client Version: 4.10.14393.1198
    Engine Version: 1.1.13704.0
    Antivirus definition: 1.243.110.0
    Antispyware definition: 1.243.110.0
    Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.1.12706.0
    Network Inspection System Definition Version: 116.88.0.0

For RS2:
    Pro Edition is the same except: Antimalware Client Version is: 4.11.15063.0

MikeMecanic, May 9, 2017
Thema:

1. Security Update for Microsoft Malware Protection Engine - Similar Threads - Security Update Microsoft

2. Malware protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malware protection: Which is the best antimalware program for windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malware-protection/c3142fce-66ae-42e7-bd5a-5ee4a13912de
  3. Malware protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malware protection: Which is the best antimalware program for windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malware-protection/c3142fce-66ae-42e7-bd5a-5ee4a13912de
  4. virus protection and threat protection is saying "engine unavailable"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus protection and threat protection is saying "engine unavailable": when trying to update "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Version 1.363.104.0" is not updating or installing it, im afraid that im open to virus's and malware because of this...
  5. Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft Malware Protection Command Line Utility: There are 51 of these running in task manager. How do I disable them?? It's insane it's using up 75% of my memory. I saw some people say they changed the name of MpCmdRun.exe but when I try that it says I require permission from the same administrator account that I'm trying...
  6. Malware Protection

Malware Protection: What is the best Free Malware to download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malware-protection/020224cb-78a2-4821-9758-5a8efc88ba2e"
  7. Looking for free malware protection that works well with Microsoft

Looking for free malware protection that works well with Microsoft: The last malware protection I has slowed down my computer a lot, and felt a bit like a virus itself. I know free may not be the best way to go for something so important, but wanted to check before I invest in anything. Has anyone had a good experience with a free option?...
  8. How to find the version of the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine

How to find the version of the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine: We used to be able to see the versions of the important WD files in the Security Centre. In Windows 10 1809, build 17763.316, I can't find them anywhere. It's probably too much to expect that the ubiquitous file MsMpEng.exe is the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine,...
  9. Virus and malware protection

Virus and malware protection: Hi, I'm Jose Javier and I have a Window laptop with Windows 10 Home; version 10.0.17763. My computer has Window Defender Security System and an Antivirus named Avast. I have bought my laptop a year ago. I really want to know how I can get total Window Security with Window...
  10. CVE-2018-0986 | Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Vulnerability

in Windows 10 News
    CVE-2018-0986 | Microsoft Malware Protection Engine Vulnerability: A remote code execution vulnerability exists when the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine does not properly scan a specially crafted file, leading to memory corruption. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could execute arbitrary code in the security...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. data execution prevention windows 10