Windows 10: Security

Discus and support Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I cannot get through to the virtual support site. About 20 minutes ago I received an unsolicited phone... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ray.TJ, Jan 14, 2020 at 7:12 AM.

1. Ray.TJ Win User

Security

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I cannot get through to the virtual support site.

About 20 minutes ago I received an unsolicited phone call from 'David' purporting to be from MIcrosoft saying that my computer had been attacked by website viruses and I needed to got to my computer straight away and they would sort it out. There is nothing wrong with my computer as far as I'm aware. When I asked how did I know this wasn't a scam he replied he could prove it and addressed me by my correct name and said he would give me the number of my computer and other confirmatory details when I went to my computer. It was very, very convincing and I don't think I am naive. I then hung up. Can anybody confirm if this was a scam please and am I right that MIcrosoft would not contact by 'phone?

Many thanks

RayTJ

:)

2. qubit Win User

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

3. curatia Win User
    Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

Thema:

Security

1. Security - Similar Threads - Security

2. Security update ruins WiFi.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security update ruins WiFi.: I have Windows 10 Pro, version 1903. I updated it on 1/15/2020. It screwed up my WiFi. I have been unable to uninstall the update. The message that I get when attempting to connect the WiFi is, "Can't connect to this network." I attempted to include a screen print....
  3. Norton security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Norton security: The instructions for putting a Norton icon on my desktop don't work. Cannot drag and drop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/norton-security/f865366d-b89e-4b4d-8966-7777ec92d4be
  4. MS Security interface problems

MS Security interface problems: when I try to open Windows Security by any method the screen appears and then closes without access permitted. the icon is telling me I need actions recommended but will not stay open so I can do so right clicking the icon brings up 4 options that regardless, pop open a...
  5. CVE-2020-0601 Windows CryptoAPI Spoofing Vulnerability Security Vulnerability Published:...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CVE-2020-0601 Windows CryptoAPI Spoofing Vulnerability Security Vulnerability Published:...: Having Windows 10 for some time now, I'm sure along with others, Microsoft continues seemingly monthly, at minimum to post update WARNINGS. WHY is such a company continually putting out updates for their customers with Windows 10 when they themselves don't take the proper...
  6. If the computer comes with built in security, do I need to install Norton or McAfee on a...

If the computer comes with built in security, do I need to install Norton or McAfee on a...: My new inspiron says it comes with all the software security i need, but it also came with a free trial of McAffee. Do i need McAffe or Norton to keep the computer more protected...
  7. Intel Product Security Center Advisories for January 14, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Product Security Center Advisories for January 14, 2020: Intel is focused on ensuring the security of our customers computing environments. We are committed to rapidly addressing issues as they arise, and providing recommendations through security advisories and security notices. Security advisories are fixes or workarounds for...
  8. Security baseline (FINAL) for Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, version 7

in Windows 10 News
    Security baseline (FINAL) for Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, version 7: Microsoft is pleased to announce the enterprise-ready release of the recommended security configuration baseline settings for the next version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium, version 79. The settings recommended in this baseline are identical to the ones we recommended...
  9. I l keep getting this windows security pop up I run windows 10. I don't know how to stop it.

I l keep getting this windows security pop up I run windows 10. I don't know how to stop it.: I l keep getting this windows security pop up when i open word or excel basically anything from office. I have windows 10. I don't know how to stop it and it is really annoying. [ATTACH]...
  10. Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10’s important security update is failing to install: Microsoft released Windows 10 updates on Tuesday to fix a security bug reported by the United States’ National Security Agency (NSA). Unfortunately, the Redmond, Washington tech giant’s latest update for Windows 10 has also run into installation problems. For context, users...