Windows 10: seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

Discus and support seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Thanks in advance for any thoughts, I have a dualboot win 7/10 machine, each system is on it's own ssd, programs are in 2 different folders on a 3rd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nitetripper, Sep 4, 2016.

1. seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
    I have a dualboot win 7/10 machine, each system is on it's own ssd, programs are in 2 different folders on a 3rd ssd,all is working fine except:
    when i'm in 7 I can see the 10 drive which is labeled "E" but i cannot see 7 which is labeled "C" from 10. Is this because both drives are labeled as "C" when I am in the respective systems?
    Can I safely change the letter for 7? I can see the 7 from 10 in disk management
    Thanks

:)

nitetripper, Sep 4, 2016
  2. Prutzi Win User

loading a Win 10 ISO image on a separate partition, it's loaded, but changed the drive letters, so no more dual boot!!

Hi, I followed the instructions of a Community MS engineer and loaded a Win 10 ISO image onto a separate partition on my Win 7 Pro laptop, to dual-boot.

The image - from his link - loaded, but it's changed the partition drive letters.

Win 7 is now on D: - was on B: - and Win 10 is now on C: and the dual-boot on start-up has gone!

The folders for Win 7 are all still on drive D;, but this will now not boot

Can anyone help, please?

Prutzi, Sep 4, 2016
  3. How to move Thunderbird from Win 7 to Win 10?

I have Win 7 on one hard drive and Win 10 on another drive. I would like to transfer all of my emails, addresses etc. from the Win 7 drive to Thunderbird (a separate version is installed on each) my Win 10 drive.

If I am successful, I plan on deleting the Win 7 version.

This is not a dual boot version, I have to switch the boot version in my bios first. Would like to set up dual boot, but, I will tackle that once the Thunderbird problem is completed first.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GeorgSamulkewitsch, Sep 4, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

When you dual boot, the OS you boot to is always assigned C:, and the other a different letter.

If you cannot see the drive with Windows 7 from Windows 10, it is a driver related issue. Check your SATA drivers from device management are up to date.

cereberus, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    In 10, right-click *Start Disk Management

You may need to assign a drive letter to the Windows 7 SSD.

Drive letters are purely assigned at installation time in the Registry of the OS you are running, unless you install the second dualboot OSsystem from within the first.

So say you install each OS from a booted DVD or USB they will each have C:\ Windows assignments for the boot drive. However if You install Windows 7 first, then install windows 10 on the second USB from Windows 7 it will take another drive letter, like E:\ , since C:\ is already used by Windows 7.

Fafhrd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10

1. seeing drives in dual boot win 7/10 - Similar Threads - seeing drives dual

2. Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win 7 on Win 10/ Win 7 dual boot system: My RAM failed resulting in corruption of Win 7 installation. Now I cannot boot to Win 7 at all. I can create another partition to install Win 7, copy and create a new partition for the MBR now allocated 3.65GB to restore after reloading Win 7, or try something else. I'm not...
  3. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  4. Win 10 doesn't see second drive in dual boot with vista on it

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 doesn't see second drive in dual boot with vista on it: I have win 10 10242 preview on a computer that has Vista on it. I installed win 10 to the second drive so Vista is on one drive and Win 10 is on the other. The dual boot works fine as menu comes up where I select which OS I want to boot from. Vista can see the drive that win...
  5. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  6. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  7. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  8. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  9. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  10. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...