Windows 10: Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files...

Discus and support Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/thefiercekid [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/thefiercekid, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:12 AM.

1. Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files...

/u/thefiercekid, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:12 AM

2. Can't See files, not hidden

Folder options->show hidden files/folders.

Checking the hidden box is a property, not a viewing preference.

Dippyskoodlez, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM
  3. Can't See files, not hidden

That was the first thing I tried Dippy... but it didn't work.. meaning I've enabled viewing of and turned them from hidden to normal. *see the pictures*

Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files... show.png

Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files... show2.png

ChaoticBlankness, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM
  4. Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files...

Can't See files, not hidden

More problems for tonight... (see me format thread for previous probs)

I've recovered my lost files to c:\temp\recovery on a spare rig. When I check the properties on the recovery folder it says the folder is huge and full of files and folder... but when I open it I don't see anything.

So I clicked on the recovery folder again and made sure it wasn't set to hidden and then to apply to all other sub folders and files. (and even during that process it showed it was applying it to the missing files "applying to c:\temp\recovery\root\...."

However I still can't see anything past \recovery\.. meaning I can't access the \root\ sub folder. WTF? Any ideas?

ChaoticBlankness, Sep 16, 2020 at 2:20 AM
Thema:

Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files...

1. Seeing "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" files on my desktop. Not showing hidden folders/files... - Similar Threads - Seeing thumbs desktop

2. Desktop empty but there are files in the folder?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop empty but there are files in the folder?: So my father has the problem that nothing is displayed on the desktop of his laptop. Even after he reboots. In the files folder under the desktop, the files that are no longer visible are stored normally. Whatever he changed, how do you fix it? It's a Windows 10 laptop if...
  3. Desktop INI and Autorun

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop INI and Autorun: So... I have multiple external hdds. I have autoruns on them to generate Labels and Icons. That is working properly. I have multiple sub folders on those hdds. I need 2 different types of Desktop INIs that I cannot seem to get working. **NOT Working** I need the parent on...
  4. Application called desktop(a hidden file) on my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application called desktop(a hidden file) on my desktop: [ATTACH] Hello guys, Whenever I switch on my pc, there is a hidden application called desktop (two of them) on my Desktop looking like a white page with a gear symbol on on the bottom left. Is this a problem or is it supposed to be like that? I haven't touched them yet,...
  5. My folders + files on my desktop disappeared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My folders + files on my desktop disappeared.: Hello, I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out with this, can't find the solution anywhere. " If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're...
  6. Can't See Hidden Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't See Hidden Files: I ran into a recent problem where I can no longer see hidden folders or files. Yesterday or the day before I could but now I can't . On the drive and folder my hidden folder is in, when I go to re-select the View and then click the Hidden Item box, the menu closes without...
  7. File listed on desktop does not show in desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    File listed on desktop does not show in desktop: When I search my computer for a file, it shows up in the found list with a bunch of numbers and letters after it that mean nothing to me. When I open it and try to save it to the desktop, I'm told that it is already on the desktop. I look for it and its not there. When I...
  8. duplicate folder created with hidden files,unable to see the files

in Windows 10 Support
    duplicate folder created with hidden files,unable to see the files: hi please help,i cant see the files the folder called naksatra,the system created duplicate folder with 0 files in it whereas i cant see the files in the folder where the properties showed i have 473 mb files. 86597
  9. Apps can't see files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps can't see files on desktop: So, this started about two or three weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to check into it. It's very annoying. Apps (all that I have tried recently) don't see files I have on the desktop, if I need to browse to them. Example: I scan a sheet and save as a .pdf (or...
  10. Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Hidden Files And Folders Error: Hi, I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a beep and then get taken back to the desktop, with nothing happening. Other options in Control Panel seem to be fine. Has...