Windows 10: Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

Discus and support Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A laptop with a 512GB SSD, partitioned into (about) C: 125GB (for Windows) and D: 375GB Windows 10 x64 Pro. Data files, such as those of Office 365,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tfwul, Oct 14, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

A laptop with a 512GB SSD, partitioned into (about) C: 125GB (for Windows) and D: 375GB
    Windows 10 x64 Pro.
    Data files, such as those of Office 365, will be stored on the D-partition.

I would like to have that partition encrypted/password protected.
    After booting Windows and just -prior- to launching an application that uses D: for storage,I would first 'unlock' that partition.
    Alternatively, I might create an encrypted container, using a tool like VeraCrypt or BestCrypt
    (this instead of encrypting a non system partition).

Seeking advice on what best to do.Encrypt partition or use a container encryption?
    (On my desktop I use a container encryption)
    Are there any pros / cons and matters that require special attention specifically in regards to a laptop+SSD?

Thanks!

:)

tfwul, Oct 14, 2018

2. Encryption

Hello Miriam,

For us to be able to isolate your concern why your devices page says it is not encrypted when you've turn on encryption, kindly answer these questions:

• Does this happen before you encrypt the device?
    • Which Windows version currently running on your device?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We will be waiting for update.

Gerald Mal, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Encrypting a folder

Hello Bill,

To encrypt a folder in Windows 10 Home, follow these steps:

• Right-click the folder you want to encrypt and click Properties.
    • On the General tab, click Advanced.
    • Under Compress or Encrypt attributes, click Encrypt contents to secure data.
    • Click OK then Apply to save the changes.

We're just here if you need further help.

Devlin Sco, Oct 14, 2018
  4. Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption

1. Seeking advice on SSD partition encryption, or container encryption - Similar Threads - Seeking advice SSD

2. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  3. Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering BitLocker encrypted partition: HiI had a drive partition "E" encrypted with BitLocker. My laptop broke and I had to swap the disk on a new laptop. Is there any way to recover data from that encrypted partition?It shows as an empty partition on the new laptop and I can also add more data to it, I don't know...
  4. Lost partitions encrypted by Bit Lockers!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost partitions encrypted by Bit Lockers!: Hi, I have lost my 2 partitions. They are no more visible in 'This PC". Previously, I had total 4 partitions in my PC. I had encrypted 2 partitions via Bit Locker and C Drive was not encrypted. Somehow, both partitions are not be shown in My PC and only C Drive is visible...
  5. Need some advice on encrypting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on encrypting in Windows 10: TLDR: Can a PC with multiple HDDs and SSDs and 3 installations of Windows 10 be configured and encrypted so that the 3 instances of Windows 10 are totally unaware of each other and inaccessible either by myself or anyone else and only be accessible when booted into? I've...
  6. Advice on approach to encryption...

Advice on approach to encryption...: Hi Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop. Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win 10 Home v.1909. Very old versions of Word and Excel. 2 SSD's Unfortunately started using it before really thinking about...
  7. Advice on approach to encryption...

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice on approach to encryption...: Hi Would really appreciate experienced view on protecting personal data (banking, etc) on a laptop. Intel [email protected] with 16Gb Ram running Win 10 Home v.1909. Very old versions of Word and Excel. 2 SSD's Unfortunately started using it before really thinking about...
  8. Anyone out there using an encrypted container on OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Anyone out there using an encrypted container on OneDrive?: Would like to know whether there is anyone out there who has experience with using an encrypted container (such as with Veracrypt or Bestcrypt) on OneDrive that is located on a different drive. Not file encryption, container encryption. How is one using it? Merely as backup...
  9. Unwanted SSD Encryption

Unwanted SSD Encryption: My laptop has a Crucial MX100 SSD. Recent erratic system behavior (apparently malware) forced action. I first did a Reset. The problems persisted. So I backed up user data and performed a clean install. However, the problems soon reappeared. So I sanitized the disk and...
  10. Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Micron_1100_mtfddav256tbn ssd self encryption or not: Hi , ive been searching for information on whether this drive is SED . I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX310UA which has a 256 GB micron SSD (MICRON_1100_MTFDDAV256TBN) As far as I can see this drive is self encrypting but how do I know . I have downloaded micron ssd software...