Windows 10: seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device

Discus and support seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hi i am seeking a conceptual understanding of how data flows from an application to an external device. Please be patient. I am 75. as a skeleton for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by whburling, Jan 14, 2021.

1. whburling Win User

seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device

hi
    i am seeking a conceptual understanding of how data flows from an application to an external device. Please be patient.
    I am 75.

as a skeleton for that above understanding, i am thinking of an application (Toyota Techstream) that can query a scanner (VX Diag vcxnano) connected to a car's obdii Data Link connector to obtain car component states to eventually present to the application user. I am doing this because i am driven by a desire to understand. no other reason. i could have picked any other example as long as it included an application and an external device channeling information through either usb or wifi.

so if i make an attempt to describe what happens it is as follows (please correct)
    * before the user opens the application, the user attaches a "scanner" (device that reads data on the car network and while preserving the data, converts the signal to that used to transmit the data to the computer (USB or WiFi).
    * the o/s detects a device attached to the usb port or detects the radio and presents it as an option for the user to connect to.
    * the o/s looks for a driver that knows how to talk to the usb port or wifi radio (not a driver that knows how to talk to the "scanner"). The driver somehow knows where it will find data to be sent out the communication port and the driver somehow knows where to find data that was received from the communication port.
    * the Appliocation is started. it somehow makes a call to the o/s to send out data. the o/s somehow then connects to the driver for the communication port (usb or wifi). how would the o/s know which comm port to go to?
    *How would the Application ever know to check with the o/s to know when data was received?

a guess is that if the application contained an object with properties for data to be sent to teh scanner and properties for data to received from the scanner, then the object would know enought co make o/s calls to send data out. when the 0/s received data from the communciation port via the driver, the driver would know enough to write
    data to that object within the application. )because when the driver was written, it knew the name and property of the applkication object?

please help. i realize i am not rational in my explanation. but please be patient. I am interested because i want to know
    (drive by curiosity).

Thank you for at least considering helping me understand.

:)

whburling, Jan 14, 2021
  2. PeterND Win User

wifi connected but no data flows

Got an 830 and on Rogers cellular in Canada.

Just back from a trip across Russia.

Found wifi connected in some hotels but did not in others (very frustrating)

Got back to Europe where we have a temporary home and wifi service and still no connection at home.

Rebooted + have now have connection.....but no data is flowing

Router offers both 2.4G and 5G streams. Tried both. Tried rebooting a couple of times. Switched off the battery saver etc.

Phone (news, weather, gmail etc) all not updated for 3 days yet wifi shows connected (and connects automatically now).

Don't want to switch on the mobile data.

Any suggestions on how to get the wifi data flowing.

PeterND, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Flow and the Microsoft Common Data Model

Source: Microsoft Flow and the Microsoft Common Data Model | Flow Blog

Brink, Jan 14, 2021
  4. seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device

Configure Windows 10 devices to stop data flow to Microsoft

Configure Windows 10 devices to stop data flow to Microsoft

seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device [​IMG]

More and Source: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...w-to-microsoft

Cluster Head, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device

1. seeking conceptual understanding of data flow app to external device - Similar Threads - seeking conceptual understanding

2. Conceptual error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Conceptual error: Have you noticed that when it's an update, there are options: A update and shut down B update and restart. And if you choose option A, question is "those files are still open, restart anyway"? For a company making operating systems for 40 years I would expect better....
  3. Conceptual error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Conceptual error: Have you noticed that when it's an update, there are options: A update and shut down B update and restart. And if you choose option A, question is "those files are still open, restart anyway"? For a company making operating systems for 40 years I would expect better....
  4. Conceptual error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Apps/programs hide and seek

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps/programs hide and seek: Since Win10 refuses to let me play Win7s Chess Titans the brat I went on the Windows store to download their free chess software.It repeatedly says I already own it. I can't find it anywhere in downloads or programs folders, and a C: drive search of the word "Chess" only...
  6. Understanding Volume Mixer & App volume and device preferences

in Windows 10 Customization
    Understanding Volume Mixer & App volume and device preferences: I am looking at the following Windows 10 sound windows: * App volume and device preferences * Volume Mixer The settings are the following: Master volumeOutput: Speakers High Definition Audio Device Google ChromeOutput: Speakers High Definition Audio Device Mozilla...
  7. Understanding data transfer rates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Understanding data transfer rates: Greetings - with much trepidation about whatever it is I'm not grasping, I humbly ask for some help here. While 'watching' a large download (a game) on Task Manager and Resource Monitor, I see different data transfer rates in different units. Task Manager may indicate I'm...
  8. Microsoft Flow and the Microsoft Common Data Model

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Flow and the Microsoft Common Data Model: Today we are excited to announce the public preview of the Microsoft Common Data Model integrated in Microsoft Flow. Your flows can already connect to over 40 different services, but sometimes you want to capture new data that you're not already storing somewhere, or, you...
  9. Configure Windows 10 devices to stop data flow to Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Configure Windows 10 devices to stop data flow to Microsoft: Configure Windows 10 devices to stop data flow to Microsoft Applies to •Windows 10 If you're looking for content on what each telemetry level means and how to configure it in your organization, see Configure Windows telemetry in your organization. Learn about...
  10. What is "Devices Flow" ???

in Windows 10 Support
    What is "Devices Flow" ???: Also, why won't it "Pin to Start," but will "Pin to Taskbar" ??? Thanks! 28509