Windows 10: Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10

Discus and support Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, with my 7-year old Windows 7 PC slowly breaking down, I'm seeking to buy a new PC; but first, I gotta know if all my important programs will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HedgeToaster, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10

Hello,

with my 7-year old Windows 7 PC slowly breaking down, I'm seeking to buy a new PC; but first, I gotta know if all my important programs will still work with Windows 10.

So I'm looking for the compatibility report tool that can scan my current Windows 7 PC and tell me which of my programs might (not) work properly on Windows 10, even the eccentric old or "indie developed" ones that aren't in any "compatibility lists" online and haven't gotten updated in 15 years. *Wink

I know Microsoft used to offer a tool like this when Windows 10 first came out, but now I can't find it. *Huh

Only tools I found go straight to "install windows 10 on this PC / prepare Windows 10 installation files on a USB-stick".

Since program compatibility heavily influences what kind of PC I will buy, I kinda need to know this in advance. *Rolleyes

(I.e., if I'm going to have to bend over backwards trying to find a PC that can still run Windows 7 as a secondary OS, or if a VM will suffice. If it's a program I use constantly, requiring the VM to run "24/7", thus needing to buy a PC with more RAM to be able to compensate for the overhead, etc. -_-# )

As a side-question, what about "feature updates"? When buying a Windows 10 PC, do I have to live in constant fear that one day it'll suddenly say "yeah, remember your old drawing and animation software? They're incompatible now. Also, you need to buy a new tablet."? *Eek

Quite frankly, the prospect of "feature" updates are the biggest turn-off of Windows 10 for me. For all I know, 5 years from now, programs or hardware I've used for years might suddenly stop working! That sounds terrifying! *Sick

:)

HedgeToaster, Jul 16, 2019

2. Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10

Hello,

with my 7-year old Windows 7 PC slowly breaking down, I'm seeking to buy a new PC; but first, I gotta know if all my important programs will still work with Windows 10.

So I'm looking for the compatibility report tool that can scan my current Windows 7 PC and tell me which of my programs might (not) work properly on Windows 10, even the eccentric old or "indie developed" ones that aren't in any "compatibility lists" online and haven't gotten updated in 15 years. *Wink

I know Microsoft used to offer a tool like this when Windows 10 first came out, but now I can't find it. *Huh

Only tools I found go straight to "install windows 10 on this PC / prepare Windows 10 installation files on a USB-stick".

Since program compatibility heavily influences what kind of PC I will buy, I kinda need to know this in advance. *Rolleyes

(I.e., if I'm going to have to bend over backwards trying to find a PC that can still run Windows 7 as a secondary OS, or if a VM will suffice. If it's a program I use constantly, requiring the VM to run "24/7", thus needing to buy a PC with more RAM to be able to compensate for the overhead, etc. -_-# )

As a side-question, what about "feature updates"? When buying a Windows 10 PC, do I have to live in constant fear that one day it'll suddenly say "yeah, remember your old drawing and animation software? They're incompatible now. Also, you need to buy a new tablet."? *Eek

Quite frankly, the prospect of "feature" updates are the biggest turn-off of Windows 10 for me. For all I know, 5 years from now, programs or hardware I've used for years might suddenly stop working! That sounds terrifying! *Sick

HedgeToaster, Jul 16, 2019
  3. clam1952 Win User
    Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10

Safer to ask about the specific programs, Microsoft did have an upgrade tool that listed what wouldn't work in Win10, however every thing it said wouldn't, here did on upgrading, Installing on one or two old programs needed run as Win7 just on the installer.

clam1952, Jul 16, 2019
  4. Ztruker Win User

Since your old Win 7 computer is dying, what difference does it make if the old programs run or not, you will still have to upgrade to a new computer.

Also, unless you have the original install media you will not be able to reinstall them on Windows 10 without the use of paid for software (I don't remember the names but I'm sure others will).

Here is my suggestion, probably needs work:

How sick is the Win 7 computer. If it's still usable, you could create an image backup to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect Free then upgrade it to Windows 10 which you can still do for free even though it's no longer advertised.

If that works then you could just copy the upgraded C: drive to a new Windows 10 system replacing what is there (after making an image backup of it first of course) and it will most likely boot and run okay, That will give you Windows 10 on new hardware with all or most of your old programs still installed. How many of them will run I have no idea.

Ztruker, Jul 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10 - Similar Threads - Seeking tool Windows7

2. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows7 upgrade Windows10: विंडो 7 को विंडो 10 में अपग्रेड कैसे करें https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows7-upgrade-windows10/f4718809-5ea1-4edb-be7e-19d2b2c98098
  3. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows7 upgrade Windows10: विंडो 7 को विंडो 10 में अपग्रेड कैसे करें https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows7-upgrade-windows10/f4718809-5ea1-4edb-be7e-19d2b2c98098
  4. Windows7 upgrade Windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 Requirements Check Tool checks if your PC is compatible

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Requirements Check Tool checks if your PC is compatible: [ATTACH]If you want to find if your device qualifies for the upcoming Windows 11 update or not, use Windows 11 Requirements Check Tool to discover it. The tool runs a test to check if your PC meets the system requirements to run Windows 11. In addition, it checks if your PC...
  6. Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10

Upgrading from Windows7 to Windows10: Have very basic knowledge, though made this PC in 2010. Having failed twice to upgrade to Win10 through Media Creation Tool 21H, wherein I choose to upgrade the existing Win7 OS.and got failure message "......the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation"Hence...
  7. Windows7 spider solitaire on Windows10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows7 spider solitaire on Windows10: I recently installed the Windows7 Spider Solitaire on my new laptop that has Windows10. It appears it installed correctly and I have played over 40 games. Problem is it is impossible to win any games at all. Very puzzling as I have played this game for years. Any advice?...
  8. Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Seeking tool on Windows7 to check program-compatibility with Windows10: Hello, with my 7-year old Windows 7 PC slowly breaking down, I'm seeking to buy a new PC; but first, I gotta know if all my important programs will still work with Windows 10. So I'm looking for the compatibility report tool that can scan my current Windows 7 PC and tell me...
  9. Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10

Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10: Good day! I need an advise regarding upgrading windows7 to windows10. I have a server where I save the windows10 to be deploy and I have around 200 users which is already had a windows 7 and needs to upgrade into windows 10. This users had a back up files . The steps i...
  10. Making a hardware for Windows7 compatible with Windows10 (Wifi card)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Making a hardware for Windows7 compatible with Windows10 (Wifi card): Hello everyone, I just bought the Wireless N PCI Adapter (TL-WN851ND) from TP-LINK for my Windows 10 PC. It says that it's compatible for Windows 7/Vista/XP but it doesn't say Windows 10 on there. I thought that since it works on Windows 7, it will probably work on Windows...