Windows 10: Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle

Discus and support Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After doing the most recent windows update (I think I did it on Sunday) I have seemingly quite high memory usage when not doing much at all, I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by XBOXMRB12345, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle

After doing the most recent windows update (I think I did it on Sunday) I have seemingly quite high memory usage when not doing much at all, I'm sitting with chrome, steam, Spotify and discord open and I'm at 65% memory usage (which is ~10 GB of RAM for reference) and it's very stable at that amount of RAM in use. I don't really know if this is a problem but it definitely seems to be, when I look through whats being used in RAM in task manager it doesn't add up to anywhere near 10GB, in fact what I can see in task manager actually adds up to around 1.5GB, so I have absolutely no idea where this supposed 8.5GB of RAM being used is actually coming from. This might not be anything but it doesn't hurt to check, because that seems completely wrong to me. Any help would be massively appreciated.

:)

XBOXMRB12345, Sep 24, 2019
  2. LMiller7 Win User

High RAM Usage on Idle W10 - Tried Poolmon/Tips of Forum Didn't Work

1.4 GB memory usage on a 4 GB 64 bit system does not seem unusual. Memory usage in any modern OS is highly dynamic. Idle usage might seem high but that is only because there is no better use for it. Memory was meant to be used, not sit idle. But if you load a large application this usage will be automatically trimmed back to meet the demand. I have seen this happen many times.

The 4.8 GB commit limit indicates that the pagefile is only about .8 GB which is rather small. This could cause problems in some situations. Better to set the pagefile to system managed.

A TairikuOkami mentioned a screenshot during idle doesn't tell us very much. Unless it is abnormal, which it isn't.

Memory used by Superfetch is on the standby list and will be shown as available.

LMiller7, Sep 24, 2019
  3. khhc Win User
    High Memory Usage

Dear All,

I always have High Memory Usage on my laptop as it is idling.

Please advise on how do I troubleshoot the high memory usage in order to resolve it?

Please advise whether I should be getting more RAM instead?

4. Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle

System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle

1. Seemingly abnormally high memory usage even when practically idle - Similar Threads - Seemingly abnormally high

2. high memory usage on idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high memory usage on idle: task manager shows 70 percent memory usage and 5 out of 8 gigabytes on idle but it doesn't show which apps are using high memory and my system is stutteringspecs:core i5 11400h8gb ramrtx 3050windows 11 enterprise 21H2...
  3. high memory usage on idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high memory usage on idle: task manager shows 70 percent memory usage and 5 out of 8 gigabytes on idle but it doesn't show which apps are using high memory and my system is stutteringspecs:core i5 11400h8gb ramrtx 3050windows 11 enterprise 21H2...
  4. High memory usage when idle windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High memory usage when idle windows 11: My laptop windows 11 is not operatable due to really high memory usage. I am not using anything or opened any program, it still says 70% or plus memory usage. Its extremely slow if I open any game, program or browser. It jumps to almost 90%. How to fix this problem?Thank you...
  5. High memory usage when idle windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High memory usage when idle windows 11: My laptop windows 11 is not operatable due to really high memory usage. I am not using anything or opened any program, it still says 70% or plus memory usage. Its extremely slow if I open any game, program or browser. It jumps to almost 90%. How to fix this problem?Thank you...
  6. High Memory Usage on Idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Memory Usage on Idle: When my laptop is on idle, it uses more than 50% memory. I have 2 GBs of RAM. On Task Manager when I sort by highest memory usage, the only one that's using more than 50 MBs is Antimalware Service Executable. The rest of it is under 50 MBs. On Resource Monitor's Memory tab,...
  7. High memory usage in idle

High memory usage in idle: Recently as of three days ago my memory usage as gone from around 18 to 30% when in idle and roaming the web to 38 to 63%, absolutely nothing has been changed or altered within my pc I haven't downloaded anything or installed any software. It is disturbing me greatly as I...
  8. My Memory usage is unusually high when idle.

My Memory usage is unusually high when idle.: My laptop memory usage improved a bit when I updated to Windows 10 ver 2004 coming from 1909. My memory usage in 1909 when idle is around 70-80% and then when I updated to 2004 it became around 55-80%, I would like to know if any of you can give me tips or a step-by-step...
  9. Extremely high idle memory usage

Extremely high idle memory usage: A few weeks ago now I have had the issue of my pc idling at 80 - 90% memory with a fresh reboot. I do have quite a bit of programs in startup but I doubt that's it because I have never had an issue for this. I have done TONS of research tried many methods but non of them...
  10. High memory usage at idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High memory usage at idle: [ATTACH] I've got 8Gb of RAM but after waiting like 30mins Windows start usig between 75 - 90% of my memory for no reason. Any idea about how to fix that? submitted by /u/Geoffrey_try_coding [link] [comments]...