Windows 10: Seemingly random BSOD, Memory?

Discus and support Seemingly random BSOD, Memory? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently tore down my PC to do some dusting, and noticed that one of the latches for my ram was broken. It still locks the ram in place, but it opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by squat251, Jul 9, 2017.

1. squat251 Win User

Seemingly random BSOD, Memory?

I recently tore down my PC to do some dusting, and noticed that one of the latches for my ram was broken. It still locks the ram in place, but it opens too far. I put the ram in and didn't think about it beyond that, but now I'm getting lots of random bluescreens.

At first they were happening while playing games, so I assumed it was my graphics drivers at fault. I did a clean uninstall of those using DDU, and reinstalled them, but the crashing continues. The stop error is different every time, for the most part. One that happens somewhat frequently is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" from what I've read online, that's supposed to be followed with a driver ID, but it never is. I've run both SFC /SCANNOW as well as a CHKDSK and both came back clean.

Could some dust have gotten in a ramslot and made it intermittently faulty? The ram is relatively old, but it's never been pushed hard, so I don't see why it would randomly fail. Seems taking it apart was the catalyst. I haven't run a MEMTEST, because I plan on removing the ram and blowing the slots clean, properly this time.

Included is the zip that DM Log Collector created, boy the "generating msinfo report" portion seems to take forever.

:)

squat251, Jul 9, 2017
  2. Neilcs Win User

Seemingly random BSODs

Running with verifier crashed immediately upon booting. Dump file is here: 100616 crash dump

Crash was caused by intcdaud.sys.

On Fri 10/7/2016 12:10:53 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100616-22468-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: intcdaud.sys (IntcDAud+0x1F602)

Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF802DFC1F602, 0x0, 0x20437A41)

Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys

product: Intel(R) Display Audio

company: Intel(R) Corporation

description: Intel(R) Display Audio Driver

Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: intcdaud.sys (Intel(R) Display Audio Driver, Intel(R) Corporation).

Google query: Intel(R) Corporation DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

On Fri 10/7/2016 12:10:53 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: intcdaud.sys (IntcDAud+0x1F602)

Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF802DFC1F602, 0x0, 0x20437A41)

Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys

product: Intel(R) Display Audio

company: Intel(R) Corporation

description: Intel(R) Display Audio Driver

Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: intcdaud.sys (Intel(R) Display Audio Driver, Intel(R) Corporation).

Google query: Intel(R) Corporation DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Neilcs, Jul 9, 2017
  3. Seemingly random BSODs

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver).

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem. Please run verifier first. You do not need to run memtest yet unless verifier does not find the cause, or you want to.

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!! If you do not know what this means you probably are not

1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

2-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 9, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Code: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.[/quote] Code: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: E:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume9.(A device which does not exist was specified.)[/quote] Code: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC000007B.[/quote] Code: VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 80070002@02070008[/quote] Code: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote] Code: The IO operation at logical block address 0x722f882 for Disk 4 (PDO name: \Device\00000065) failed due to a hardware error.[/quote] Code: BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80135251d0e, ffff9880e18cc0e0, 0}Probably caused by : memory_corruption[/quote] Code: BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff802d2ee6db7, 0, ffffffffffffffff}Probably caused by : memory_corruption[/quote]
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

5) turn off windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

6) Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 runs.
    This may take many hours so plan to run it overnight.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more runs make an image of the results to post into the thread.
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM Windows 10 BSOD Tutorials

7) run one of the SMART tests on your drives:CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World: CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World
    Software - Crystal Dew World
    HD Tune: HD Tune website
    Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring: Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring

When the SMART test has completed open the Microsoft snipping tool and make images of the results to post into the thread.

zbook, Jul 9, 2017
  5. squat251 Win User
    I'll run Memtest86 tonight, though I did run the built in windows version, and it came back with no errors.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Winver result: Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1358)

I had tried to turn fastboot off before, but for some reason checking it again, it's on again. I turned it off once more.

C: https://puu.sh/wGsQm/9e3d610ea3.png
    D: https://puu.sh/wGsTz/a285eb82ee.png
    P: https://puu.sh/wGta2/3f59c77a9e.png I rarely access this drive, and it was a "salvage" from another PC. That error is likely very old.
    B: https://puu.sh/wGtel/4ba4a8428a.png

squat251, Jul 10, 2017
  6. squat251 Win User
    two more BSOD's, different stop messages for both.

squat251, Jul 10, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  8. squat251 Win User

While I have no idea what "adobe" file you saw, I seem to have solved the issue. It was a bad stick of ram or a bad ram slot. Removing two sticks from their paired up slots, I've had no more BSODs.

The minidumps file was a '.7z' format, basically a better version of a '.zip'. Surprised you didn't know that, as you presumably work on PCs all day. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

squat251, Jul 10, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Glad you got it fixed.

Left clicking on a zip file uses the default 7zip.
    Multiple zip files can be opened without issues.
    These are the images when attempting to open the file in post #4:

Attachment 143441

Attachment 143439

It was peculiar that it did not open like other zip files.

zbook, Jul 10, 2017
  10. BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seemingly random BSOD, Memory? - Similar Threads - Seemingly random BSOD

2. Seemingly random 'HYPERVISOR_ERROR' BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seemingly random 'HYPERVISOR_ERROR' BSOD: Hi, Recently I have been getting what seems like random HYPERVISOR BSoD's, I have read that it is related to Hyper-V but I have never used it, It isnt even installed.I can sometimes use my PC for hours without any issues but I can also get the BSoD multiple times in an...
  3. Seemingly random 'HYPERVISOR_ERROR' BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seemingly random 'HYPERVISOR_ERROR' BSOD: Hi, Recently I have been getting what seems like random HYPERVISOR BSoD's, I have read that it is related to Hyper-V but I have never used it, It isnt even installed.I can sometimes use my PC for hours without any issues but I can also get the BSoD multiple times in an...
  4. Multiple seemingly random BSODs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple seemingly random BSODs: I went to my friends house for 3 days and left the computer on during that time. When I returned I noticed that I receive multiple BSODs for seemingly no reason.I have tried some commands in cmd prompt like: "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk" along with dism. I have also ran the...
  5. Multiple seemingly random BSODs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple seemingly random BSODs: I went to my friends house for 3 days and left the computer on during that time. When I returned I noticed that I receive multiple BSODs for seemingly no reason.I have tried some commands in cmd prompt like: "sfc /scannow" and "chkdsk" along with dism. I have also ran the...
  6. Multiple seemingly random BSODs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Random BSODs - memory related?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random BSODs - memory related?: Hi guys, as of late i've experienced two random BSODS. The system is fairly new and a clean OS has been installed upon build. Looking at the dmp files it appears that it is related to BSOD 11/04/21 - REFERENCE_BY_POINTER, fltmgr.sys and ntoskrnl.exe appear to be the culprits...
  8. Seemingly Random BSOD's

Seemingly Random BSOD's: Hi everyone, I've had a problem for a while with my computer where it seems to randomly Blue Screen. I've been trying to figure out what's been going on for a while when I was finally directed to the Event Viewer. Here was the latest BSOD error I had. The computer has...
  9. Seemingly random BSOD's

Seemingly random BSOD's: Hey! So I made a new build back in September, and have been getting what seems to be random BSOD's since. It varies, but it happens once or twice a day, on average. It might be a coincidence, but it does not seem to happen while gaming. I have tried updating various drivers...
  10. Seemingly Random BSoD

Seemingly Random BSoD: Hello, I bought a Laptop about six months ago, and immediatly expirienced crashes. They happen seemingly at random. No matter what I'm doing, and the error on the BSoD has given a variaty of reasons over the months. I've done two or three clean installs of windows 10 and...