Windows 10: selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work???

Discus and support selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work??? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I selected an external storage device to free up space, as I need space to update Windows 10. However, once selected it still proceeds to take me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windows7jca, Aug 3, 2020.

1. selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work???

I selected an external storage device to free up space, as I need space to update Windows 10. However, once selected it still proceeds to take me to next step, which is to free up space I've already done that step, repeatedly.

It does not pick up the external storage device, which I've tried 4 different USB that range from 16 GB to 119GB.

Help...

:)

Windows7jca, Aug 3, 2020

2. Can't Free Up Storage OnHP Stream 11 Running Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to delete the temporary files and free up the storage space on Windows 10 Operating System, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10

Step 2: I suggest you to check the storage capacity of each of the drives in
    Windows Explorer.

• Press Windows key, type This PC, select it.
    • Right click on each of the drives and click on Properties.
    • Also, you can perform Disk Cleanup from the
      Step 2
      as well.
    • Select the files to be delete on each of the drives.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Update Assistant does not detect External Storage Device

I am currently facing an issue with the update assistant. The problem comes from the prompt as seen from this webpage

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

The issue is in "Step 2: Connect an external storage device". It says to
    "Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list" but the external storage device already connected to my device (and shows up on My PC) is not shown on the drop down list. Can you help?

selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work??? c6321704-8541-466f-88a9-ab5e75fbdf04?upload=true.png

Haziq Jamaludin, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Time Lady Win User

selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work???

windows 10 creator update. Not enough space.

Every Windows 10 update requires a certain amount of storage space on your device to help ensure the installation goes smoothly and that it runs well.

Before downloading the update, Windows runs a scan to make sure there’s enough space. If there isn’t, you’ll see a message asking you to free up some.

External or internal?

If your device doesn’t have enough space for the update, Windows will ask you to connect an external drive to extend the space on your hard drive temporarily while the update is being installed. Or, you can free up space on your device by deleting nonessential
    files if you don’t have an external storage device or don’t want to use one.

The More space needed for update window only shows one option at a time for freeing up space, but you can select either I want to use external storage instead or I don’t have an external storage at the lower-left side of the window.

Updating with external storage

If your device has less than 50 GB total capacity on its hard drive, updating is easiest using an external storage device.

Step 1: Free up space

Although you’re using an external storage device, your hard drive still requires space to install the update. Here’s how to make some:

In More space needed for update, select Free up space.

Clear space with an external storage device.

This opens Storage in Settings, which shows how much space is available on your device. Select your C: drive to see what’s using the most space and to clear it by deleting nonessential files. (For tips, see Free up drive space in Windows 10).

Return to More space needed for update and select the refresh icon next to the Free up space button. If you deleted enough files, a green check mark will appear next to the hard drive Internal hard drive icon icon.

Step 2: Connect an external storage device

Connect your external storage device and wait until you see it in the drop-down list under Step 2 (you might need to select the refresh  icon). If the external storage device has enough free space, a green check mark will appear next to the storage drive icon.

Select Continue to finish installing the update.

Updating with your hard drive

If you don’t want to use an external storage device, you’ll need to free up more space on your hard drive.

In More space needed for update, select Free up space.

Clear space from your hard drive

This opens Storage under Settings, which shows how much space is available on your device. Select your C: drive to see what’s using the most space and to delete nonessential files. (For tips, see Free up drive space in Windows 10.)

Return to More space needed for update and select the refresh icon next to the Free up space button. If you deleted enough files, a green check mark will appear next to the hard drive Internal hard drive icon icon.

Select Continue to finish installing the update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/401387...

Time Lady, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work???

1. selected external storage device to free up space...however it will not work??? - Similar Threads - selected external storage

2. How to free up the storage space under updates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to free up the storage space under updates?: Trying to free up space. As you can see under the temporary files there is lots of gigabytes but I don't know how to get rid of them. I have Windows 10 installed and it's up to date. Waiting for the other temporary files to load and deleting them does not get rid of it....
  3. How to free up the storage space under updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to free up the storage space under updates?: Trying to free up space. As you can see under the temporary files there is lots of gigabytes but I don't know how to get rid of them. I have Windows 10 installed and it's up to date. Waiting for the other temporary files to load and deleting them does not get rid of it....
  4. How to free up the storage space under updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I free up storage space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I free up storage space?: Hi, I am trying to free up some storage space, and when I view the properties of my users folder it says (after counting all the files for some seconds) that the size on disk is 202GB. When I go into the folder, adding up the size of each folder within the users folder gives...
  6. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  7. Free storage space

Free storage space: I am having trouble clearing storage on my PC disk. My laptop has used 28.9 GB of 29 GB. I deleted apps and files. The use of storage on this laptop is now at 28.3 GB. I want to at least delete 10 GB or clear the disk out. I am trying to restore my iPhone using the iTunes app...
  8. Disk cleaning selection to free up space.

Disk cleaning selection to free up space.: Hello I need free space on my disk C: because now I only have 27 GB of free space. I would like to know if it is recommended to select "compress the operating system drive" in disk cleanup to free up space. Thanks in advance...
  9. disk storage: freeing up space

disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...
  10. freeing up storage space to speed up my comp.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    freeing up storage space to speed up my comp.: just upgraded pc from win.8.1 to win. 10 home works great but need to speed it up cause have a lot of stuff not being used for along time. nit backed all up on the upgrade...