Windows 10: Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

Discus and support Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7, and before, in Explorer, I could start to type a name of a file that I wanted and Explorer would jump down to that file, but under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Superman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Superman Win User

Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option?

In Windows 7, and before, in Explorer, I could start to type a name of a file that I wanted and Explorer would jump down to that file, but under Windows 10, it automatically starts doing a search of the folder. As such, I am forced to scroll down and find the file manually. There has to be a way to disable the automatic search feature and let it run like before. Any ideas?

:)

Superman, Oct 29, 2015
  2. Scynthe Win User

How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

Hello! regarding to the rufus part when I chose the FAT32 on the file system options and after I click start an error would appear with a "Unsupported filesystem" as its name saying The file system currently selected can not be used with this type of
    ISO. Please select a different file system or use a different ISO.

though if its on NTFS, it was able to start

Scynthe, Oct 29, 2015
  3. "Share by messaging" no longer option when selecting more than 1 photo to send by text

Hi,
    brownbearbrownbear.
    I understand that sending multiple pictures as MMS in your phone was missing. Just to inform you that MMS is a network operator service. You also mention that there were no software update happened prior to this. There is a possibility
    that the selected multiple pictures will exceed the limit for sending MMS and that is the reason why messaging option is missing. For this you may try contacting your network operator to know more about this limitation. Hoping to hear from you soon.

HDcoffeeko, Oct 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, simply select an item in the folder you are viewing, and start typing. The file / folder selected will change as you type.

I'm guessing you are in the search field when you are typing.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2015
  5. Superman Win User
    What you described is "Normally" how it works, but the moment I click on a file and then start typing the tab at the top switches to the SEARCH tab and what I type starts to appear at the top of the window and a search begins as though I initiated a search.

Superman, Oct 29, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ah.. I see what you are experiencing now. Strange. That's not what happens for me...

I think the only time I see the Search tab is when I click in the search box...

dalchina, Oct 30, 2015
  7. Superman Win User
    So you are experiencing in Windows 10, something different when you open up the explorer app and go to say the C: root directory and then start typing and the "cursor" (for lack of description/name) highlights the file you are wanting to open? For me it does not and simply starts to do a search of the root directory for what I just typed.

Superman, Oct 30, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

I've been able to do this, usually I use it from my Pictures folder when selecting an image to post. I just tried in my Downloads folder and it worked. There is a setting for Searches, I'll try to post a screenshot here. Try setting your folder view to "List" or "Detail View" and it works better.

Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option? [​IMG]

XweAponX, Oct 30, 2015
  9. Superman Win User
    Thanks, but I already have it in list format.

Now mind you, I have done a fresh install of windows 10, and not an upgrade. I believe that an upgrade might have the magic box (where ever it might be) check that says "don't search when typing" (lots of laughs, only if it were that easy and intuitive). So to ask you, then what you are saying is that you are NOT experiencing the same thing as I am then, right?

Superman, Oct 30, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
    How are the view settings?
    Attachment 45561

11. Superman Win User
    Thanks! That is exactly what I am looking for.

Superman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Selecting a file by starting to type its name... No longer an option? - Similar Threads - Selecting file starting

2. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  3. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: Explain in tiltlehere is the content of one file: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/2f2a95e7-0a68-4725-aa62-2805d83e5cb7
  4. There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is file in C:/ named with dates, and that file type name is file. what is that?: explain in detail. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-file-in-c-named-with-dates-and-that-file/08fa892c-19b1-456e-bcdb-5a2efbf00078
  5. file name selection dropdown

in Cortana
    file name selection dropdown: i know this isnt hyper specific but im having trouble with a file selection related issue its hard to put into words but its something like this i would be on discord uploading a file i would type in this box the first couple letters of a file name and it would pop up with...
  6. How to access a folder just by typing its Name

in Windows 10 Support
    How to access a folder just by typing its Name: Hi, I want to know how do I access a folder only by typing its name like we access "Documents, Onedrive, Links, Music" etc. I want to be able to access this folder from anywhere like from typing its name on the run command or in the explorer address bar. Let's say the...
  7. Selecting File name extensions or hidden files and folder no longer works windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Selecting File name extensions or hidden files and folder no longer works windows 10: Selecting File name extensions or hidden files and folder no longer works windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selecting-file-name-extensions-or-hidden-files-and/43cf200c-faf7-49d4-ba83-306d66e35494
  8. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing: While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1). See citation below for the detailed problem description. I want to add that I first suspected...
  9. Apps by file type is no longer an option in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps by file type is no longer an option in Settings: Recently the Anniversary Edition update made a lot of changes. some are okay but I am still finding things that it decided to change some of my setting. I want to switch bask to some of my apps that I used for a specific file types. My issue is there now a way to select...
  10. Unable to select / type in Personalize options

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to select / type in Personalize options: I am supporting one user who can access the personalize section (right click on desktop / personalize) but is unable to type anything into the search box or click on any of the sub sections under personalization. They can access other control panel type items and make...