Windows 10: Selecting default GPU on a desktop

Discus and support Selecting default GPU on a desktop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently bought a Ryzen 5 3400G with the intent of using its integrated GPU for normal desktop usage and less demanding games, while I continue to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Scheneighnay, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Selecting default GPU on a desktop

I recently bought a Ryzen 5 3400G with the intent of using its integrated GPU for normal desktop usage and less demanding games, while I continue to use my significantly more power-hungry Vega 64 to run the more demanding games.

While it's worked better than I expected for DirectX 12 titles that allow you to choose between them in-game (it actually offloads the Game DVR's video encode load to the iGPU), everything else only runs on the iGPU.

I've gone into Windows Graphics Settings to try setting the graphics performance preference, but the iGPU is the only option for both "power saving" and "high performance". Read up on the option supposedly existing under Radeon Settings as well, but it's missing for me.

Is there any way to force Windows Graphics settings to see the dGPU?

:)

Scheneighnay, Jul 10, 2019
  2. Zeond1987 Win User

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Jul 10, 2019
  3. How to change default desktop color

Hi,

As per the description, I understand that you would like to change the default desktop color.

You may follow the steps given below and check.

• Click on the start button.

• Click on settings.

• Click on personalization.

• Select color.

• Choose a color for your desktop.

I would suggest you to refer to the Microsoft Help Article given below and check if that helps.

Get Started with Windows 10.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Selecting default GPU on a desktop

Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Selecting default GPU on a desktop

1. Selecting default GPU on a desktop - Similar Threads - Selecting default GPU

2. How do i select which GPU to use as the default in Win11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i select which GPU to use as the default in Win11?: Hi, i tried everything imaginable to change the default GPU to Nvidia but Windows still uses the inbuilt Intel UHD graphics which have terrible performance.I am using a Zenbook Pro Duo.I am about to uninstall Win11 because this issue is making the Laptop unusable.And even...
  3. How do i select which GPU to use as the default in Win11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i select which GPU to use as the default in Win11?: Hi, i tried everything imaginable to change the default GPU to Nvidia but Windows still uses the inbuilt Intel UHD graphics which have terrible performance.I am using a Zenbook Pro Duo.I am about to uninstall Win11 because this issue is making the Laptop unusable.And even...
  4. Real GPU selection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Real GPU selection.: In windows 10 I have two GPUs. I want to manually select which one is used for what app. Here is the problem though. Windows by itself decides that the very same GPU is both most performant and most power efficient. So the option to pick GPU in display > graphics settings is...
  5. Real GPU selection.

Real GPU selection.: In windows 10 I have two GPUs. I want to manually select which one is used for what app. Here is the problem though. Windows by itself decides that the very same GPU is both most performant and most power efficient. So the option to pick GPU in display > graphics settings is...
  6. Real GPU selection.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Gaming laptop using GPU 0 - 3D Nvidia GPU by default in desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming laptop using GPU 0 - 3D Nvidia GPU by default in desktop: Problem description: Laptop uses Nvidia GPU instead of Intel IGPU like usual for all desktop graphics operations, main culprits primarily consist of: Search windows App, Desktop window manager, Client server runtime process, and google chrome when open. also for some reason...
  8. Gaming laptop using GPU 0 - 3D Nvidia GPU by default in desktop

Gaming laptop using GPU 0 - 3D Nvidia GPU by default in desktop: Problem description: Laptop uses Nvidia GPU instead of Intel IGPU like usual for all desktop graphics operations, main culprits primarily consist of: Search windows App, Desktop window manager, Client server runtime process, and google chrome when open. also for some reason...
  9. Gaming laptop using GPU 0 - 3D Nvidia GPU by default in desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. GPU selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU selection: Hi I was wondering to get a Graphics card but I don't particularly know which brand to get.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME LIKE SOME THE BEST GPU BRANDS Can someone please help me?...