Windows 10: Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

Discus and support Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Wallby, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Wallby Win User

Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen with the motherboard logo".Then holding the power button untill the computer shuts down and then powering on the computer consistently caused booting to succeed without exception and windows 10 then resumes from hibernate just fine with all applications still open.

:)

Wallby, Feb 6, 2022
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Feb 6, 2022
  3. Proper Boot up of Windows 10 Pro Prompts Hibernation, Why?

Hi Robert,

A corrupted startup file is possibly causing your PC to go into hibernate mode after boot up. I will need additional information to properly address your concern. Kindly answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell the current OS Build of your Windows 10 PC? Select the
      Start button, go to
      Settings > System >
      About. Scroll down to Windows specifications to find this information.

To find out if an installed program is possibly causing the unwanted hibernation after boot up, I suggest performing a clean boot. A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software
    conflicts after you boot your Windows 10 device. You can find the steps on how to perform a clean boot in Windows 10 from this

article
    . You can also check our for a step-by-step guide.

NOTE: Please go to the section:
    Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the PC in normal startup after fixing the issue.

If the issue remains even after performing a clean boot, I recommend following the methods provided by
    Likhitha V from this
    thread
    . He provided steps on how to perform a Startup repair using a Windows 10 installation media.

Let me know how it goes.

Devlin Sco, Feb 6, 2022
  4. John Vil Win User

hibernating/password

Hello Rich,

One possible reason why your system keeps hibernating or goes to sleep is because of the power plan settings of your computer. To assist you with your concern regarding your PC hibernating, we recommend that you reconfigure the power plan settings by following
    the steps below:

• Type Display on Cortana's search field and press
      Enter.
    • Select Power & sleep.
    • Under the Sleep option, click the drop down menu to set the number of minutes/hours you would like your PC to sleep/hibernate. We suggest that you select
      Never if you do not want you system to hibernate.
    • Close all windows for the changes to take effect.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Feb 6, 2022
Thema:

1. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail - Similar Threads - Selecting hibernate causes

2. Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...: As per title. This started sometime in June or July, and persisted across a full windows reinstall and then upgrade to Windows 11. I recently found suggestions to look in the Kernel-Boot event viewer logs, which show the error BL_LOG_ERROR_RES_INVALID_HBBOOT_MEM_MAP, which...
  3. Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate fails to resume with 0xC0000411, Kernel-Boot error...: As per title. This started sometime in June or July, and persisted across a full windows reinstall and then upgrade to Windows 11. I recently found suggestions to look in the Kernel-Boot event viewer logs, which show the error BL_LOG_ERROR_RES_INVALID_HBBOOT_MEM_MAP, which...
  4. Selecting shutdown/hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Selecting shutdown/hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  5. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  6. Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Selecting hibernate causes the next boot to fail: Windows 10 version: 21H2Since "not very long" didn't happen before, and I don't think I updated since either if selecting hibernate the computer shuts down, but then starting the computer back up e.g. by pressing spacebar then results in the computer freezing at the "screen...
  7. Sleep causes hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep causes hibernate: Why does my PC activate hibernate every time it goes to sleep, hibernate is activated after "powercfg /h off"? To clarify, the PC does sleep, not hibernate, it just turns hibernate on and creates hiberfil.sys. Fast startup is also disabled. EDIT: Problem solved, it was a...
  8. Selected boot device failed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Selected boot device failed.: While booting up my HP laptop this screen pops up. Hp disk diagnose failed before this and after that it showed this screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selected-boot-device-failed/e1d2e277-5014-4f98-bd00-042e5ccb38fb
  9. failed to boot from selected device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed to boot from selected device: so, im trying to boot from a USB, but when ever i go to boot from device then select the USB it says cannot boot from this device, anybody know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-boot-from-selected-device/8dfcc68c-ec26-4ca0-90cd-e121d8b2e419
  10. Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a faulty hibernation cause laptop to fail to boot?: Hi all. First post - I think it's in the correct section! I am running Windows 10 using 2xSSD drives in RAID(0). I have one other 750GB HDD for data. I had an issue with my laptop this week which seems to have resolved itself. Except, issues don't tend to resolve...