Windows 10: Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

Discus and support Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I live in a hostel which has very poor management. They have Wi-Fi devices that are all over the hostel all have the same name and no password, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Muhammad Bilal1, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

I live in a hostel which has very poor management. They have Wi-Fi devices that are all over the hostel all have the same name and no password, and they show as one Wi-Fi on the mobiles and laptops but some of them have good internet speed some don't. Unfortunately for me my laptop connects to a device that has very very bad internet speed.If I block the one router wifi then all other routers also considered blocked as they have same name Is there any way I could manually select the device on my laptopwindows 10?My laptop connects to the Wi-Fi router A has very bad internet but I want to

:)

Muhammad Bilal1, Sep 24, 2022
  2. Jon Cage Win User

Is it possible to set up a new manual wifi connection from the command line?

I'm trying to work out a solution to set up ad-hock wifi connections in Windows 8.1 based on the suggestions in a post on Micsrosoft's answers site. Is there any way to do the first few steps:

• go to "Network and Sharing Center"
    • click "Set up a new connection or network"
    • double click "Manually connect to a wireless network"
    • enter the SSID of the ad-hoc network (as shown by "netsh wlan show networks") into the "Network name" field
    • configure security settings accordingly
    • uncheck "Start this connection automatically" (important)

...without using the windows dialogs?

Jon Cage, Sep 24, 2022
  3. NTM2003 Win User
    Wifi names

I was wondering can you put anything as a wifi name for example I wanted to put CIA-outpost-#### random number is that illegal? I've seen FBI surveillance van 006 before on my list of wifi names I can pick up.

NTM2003, Sep 24, 2022
  4. Amiga5 Win User

Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

Wifi names

Hey bud

I felt so amazed by this question that I signed up to reply
    You can change it to what you wish in fact its a must

The importance of using protection on your router is something I can't stress enough

The GPU powered cracking software out now would take about 1 minute to get a password the has a standard word or even a word with a few numbers.

WPA2 AES gives the user some very good protection.

The one thing I see all the time is the router being used with a default name and a default password.
    They just plug in and go.
    They don't know what is going on until the police show up with a very unpleasant story about some company being hacked and them suspecting you (worst case scenario) or someone driving by your place ripping off wifi names and passwords to be sold to people who are not so nice to commit crimes
    Use anything you want for a broadcast name a

1st thing get into router and change the name. This is not so important but companies produce lists that are published and getting the brand of the router is as easy as searching for what router types are being sold to the public by the internet provider. Telus and Shaw Canada are bad for this. That list also contains default passwords and user name

2nd make your passwords into that router strong. Not the WiFi password but the admin password
    it used to be you had to be hooked in by a lan cable to be able to get into the router itself so that changes could be made. Not so with today's routers. A wireless connection can get in if they have a way in. Use combinations of letters, numbers, and upper and lower case for that.
    The amount of characters are not many that is allowed so make it hard but something you can remember
    I use things like My37PasOr0Fe685 (get the idea)

Finally WPA2 AES is strong. 63 characters in length but it will encrypt it.
    For instance I can put in Mary had a little lamb whos fleece was white as snow but after it encrypts all your router would accept is the phrase that has been converted to random letters numbers and that is the access code to use. For heaven sake write it down.
    A good method of protection in today's routers is only accept connection with a certain mac code
    This makes it so only the computer that uses the wireless adapter or Lan adapter Physical address (MAC) will be allowed to connect at all.
    You still need the access code for the wireless but even if it gets found out a connection can't be made unless the computer with that MAC code is used.

To end this I would say the best protection to use is done by 2 switches. Make the broadcast of the router hidden and on computer side make sure the connect even if broadcast is hidden is checked

You would have to enter the WiFi network name and its password to connect. It would not show up at all on any connection list.

Regards
    Amiga5

Amiga5, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

1. Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one... - Similar Threads - Selecting Manually wifi

2. Cannot show phone screen while both devices using same wifi connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot show phone screen while both devices using same wifi connection: Hi, Since I changed my computer, I connected my Samsung S20 phone to the Windows Mobile application on my PC. On my previous computer, I could display my phone screen on my PC. Now, when I try to open my phone screen, it doesn't work. The error indicates that my phone is not...
  3. Cannot show phone screen while both devices using same wifi connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot show phone screen while both devices using same wifi connection: Hi, Since I changed my computer, I connected my Samsung S20 phone to the Windows Mobile application on my PC. On my previous computer, I could display my phone screen on my PC. Now, when I try to open my phone screen, it doesn't work. The error indicates that my phone is not...
  4. Cannot show phone screen while both devices using same wifi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. laptop can not connect wifi which need both user name and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop can not connect wifi which need both user name and password: Today I find that my laptop can not connect to my school wifi anymore while my phone can connect it well. Then I try to reset the internet setting. After that, I find when my laptop wants to connect the wifi needs both a username and password it can not work correctly. It...
  6. laptop can not connect wifi which need both user name and password

laptop can not connect wifi which need both user name and password: Today I find that my laptop can not connect to my school wifi anymore while my phone can connect it well. Then I try to reset the internet setting. After that, I find when my laptop wants to connect the wifi needs both a username and password it can not work correctly. It...
  7. Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...: I live in a hostel which has very poor management. They have Wi-Fi devices that are all over the hostel all have the same name and no password, and they show as one Wi-Fi on the mobiles and laptops but some of them have good internet speed some don't. Unfortunately for me my...
  8. Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...

Selecting Manually which wifi to connect both have same name and are open and show as one...: I live in a hostel which has very poor management. They have Wi-Fi devices that are all over the hostel all have the same name and no password, and they show as one Wi-Fi on the mobiles and laptops but some of them have good internet speed some don't. Unfortunately for me my...
  9. Can't show both sound and wifi icons at the same time

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't show both sound and wifi icons at the same time: I'm running 20H2, last week I noticed that my wifi icon in the notification area was missing. After a couple days for some reason and I'm not sure why, but I decided to (if I can explain this) I wanted to see if the sound icon was sitting on top of the wifi, I know, it...
  10. Same wifi showing with two names.

Same wifi showing with two names.: [ATTACH] So Windows 10 (latest build) has been showing me my router with two names since quite a long time. I've tried to reset, run troubleshoot and remove it via cmd to no avail. It sometimes switches between itself which causes issues while gaming, etc. Please help me get...