Windows 10: Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working...

Discus and support Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having similar problems with Windows 10 File Explorer, in that being able to select multiples files and/or a range of files "STOPS" working after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EricLund4, Jan 18, 2021.

1. EricLund4 Win User

Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working...

I am having similar problems with Windows 10 File Explorer, in that being able to select multiples files and/or a range of files "STOPS" working after doing it for a while. It seems to be occurring in the past year or so in Windows 10, but I never saw it in Windows XP, 7 or 8.

I have checked the File Explorer Options -> General tab -> and "Double Click to Open an Item" IS selected and File Explorer Options -> View tab -> "Use Check Boxes to Select Items" IS un-selected when the problem occurs.

To explain a little further, I typically run 2-4 File Explorer windows at a time. I will have one File explorer open to C:\... and 2-3 Files Explorers open one each to 2 or 3 external hard drives. I may be copying and/or moving files successfully for a while selecting "multiple files" and/or a "range of files" and then copying and/or moving files between drives.

After several successful copies/moves, it stops working and I can NO longer select multiple files or a range of files. NO error messages are displayed. I select the 1st file and then when I select a second file Cntl-select or the 2nd file in a range Shift-select, the first file de-selects I end up with just a SINGLE file selected.

When I check the File Explorer Options -> General tab -> and "Double Click to Open an Item" IS STILL selected and File Explorer Options -> View tab -> "Use Check Boxes to Select Items" IS STILL un-selected.

If I then go to one of the other opened File Explorer windows, I can still select multiple files or a range of files and copy/move them at least for a while until the problem re-occurs in the next File Explorer window.

However, if I close the File Explorer session window and re-open a new File Explorer window, selecting multiple files and/or a range of files work again for a while. This is OK for a temporary "work-around", but File Explorer needs to be fixed.

And obviously, if closing a single File Explorer and re-opening works to correct the multiple file issue, then re-starting the computer also works to correct the problem for a while.

I have seen posts back to 2018 about this failure to select multiple files and/or a range of files and it is now 2021 and I am still having the failure.

Any plans to fix this issue? Or at least a "reasonable work-around" not involving editing the Registry until it is fixed?

Thank you.

:)

EricLund4, Jan 18, 2021

2. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Jan 18, 2021
  3. File Explorer stopped working,

this does not work and i can not open Command Prompt (Admin)

aurelio arellano, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working...

File Explorer stopped working,

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the file explorer stops responding. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise when some of the Windows components or applications gets corrupted. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the explorer issue.

• Press Alt+ctr+Del from Desktop.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under process tab, locate Windows Explorer.
    • Right Click Windows Explorer and select End Task.
    • Now select on File tab and click Run Task.
    • Type explorer.exe and press ok.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, I suggest you to
    perform SFC scan and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

• Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working...

1. Selecting multiples files and/or a range of files in Widows 10 File Explorer stops working... - Similar Threads - Selecting multiples files

2. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  3. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  4. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I select range of files in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I select range of files in file explorer?: it used to be that I selected a file, then held down the shift key, and selected another file and all the files in between would also be selected. This does not seem to work any more....
  6. How do I select range of files in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I select range of files in file explorer?: it used to be that I selected a file, then held down the shift key, and selected another file and all the files in between would also be selected. This does not seem to work any more....
  7. File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.

File Explorer crashes when selecting multiple files.: First of all, this is the first time that i write something like this. When I select multiple files in File explorer it crashes. This does not happen immediately though, selecting 2 or 3 files usualy is fine, the crash usualy occurs when i select around 5-7 files or more the...
  8. Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.

Problem: Automatically selecting multiple files in File Explorer.: Hi For some reason my computer which runs Windows 10 started to select multiple files in File Explorer automatically. For example, when I single click a file followed by single clicking a file 5 positions below, all 6 files are highlighted the behavior that would have been...
  9. Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer

Can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer: I can't select multiple Microsoft files in File Explorer. I select a file and my whole computer lags / freezes. It does select eventually. I go to select while pressing shift and my whole computer freezes again and the action isn't completed. It's only Microsoft files. I can...
  10. How do I select range of files in file explorer

How do I select range of files in file explorer: it used to be that I selected a file, then held down the shift key, and selected another file and all the files in between would also be selected. This does not seem to work any more....