Windows 10: Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

Discus and support Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to open a self extracting file to download a firmware update for a camera. Nothing happens when I click open or run as administrator. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by J-Texas, Jan 10, 2019.

1. J-Texas Win User

Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

I'm trying to open a self extracting file to download a firmware update for a camera. Nothing happens when I click open or run as administrator. This same file worked just fine in November when I downloaded it for another camera. After hitting open 10 times or so I can finally get it to open only to get an error message telling me to close all applications and reboot windows. Then I get a WinRarSelf Extracting archive message that says ExtA_update\firmware\fwbin cannot create A update firmware.

I'm about to scream. It seems with every windows update something else doesn't work.

:)

J-Texas, Jan 10, 2019
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

Trouble extracting Rar files

Is it possible that there are more parts to this .RAR? When files are large, they usually get broken into smaller self-extracting .rar files that use redundancy to make sure the whole file get's unpacked.

I'd imaging UT3 would be pretty darn big. How big is the .rar you're opening?

Dr. Spankenstein, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update

1. Self Extracting file no longer opens after last update - Similar Threads - Self Extracting file

2. File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update: File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-on-opening-after-last/c5092458-a597-4ab4-b0ce-3a78941da355
  3. File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update: File Explorer Crashes on opening after last insider update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-crashes-on-opening-after-last/c5092458-a597-4ab4-b0ce-3a78941da355
  4. Files wont open after extracting from zip

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files wont open after extracting from zip: I used both Winrar and 7zip to extract the files. After completion, the files just won't open. I clicked on it so many times. Tried to right click then open it but after selecting open it wont open. For some weird reason if I just open the zip file using Winrar and open one...
  5. Files wont open after extracting from zip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files wont open after extracting from zip: I used both Winrar and 7zip to extract the files. After completion, the files just won't open. I clicked on it so many times. Tried to right click then open it but after selecting open it wont open. For some weird reason if I just open the zip file using Winrar and open one...
  6. Files wont open after extracting from zip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. After last Win10 update taskbar popups no longer stay open!

in Windows 10 Support
    After last Win10 update taskbar popups no longer stay open!: After last Win10 (Ver 2004, Build 19041.630) update my taskbar apps (Wordweb, Icloud, etc) will no longer stay in place over any open screens (such as gmail or web screens). If clicked on they'll popup then quickly disappear. They will be open and available however back on...
  8. Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with self-extracting .exe files and program installation: After resetting my PC I have encountered some problems which do not allow me to install several programs: I am not able to install my Brother printers' drivers - installation ends with a message "Failed to decompress the archive". A similar message appears when I tried to...
  9. logitech g25 wheel no longer self calibrates after driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    logitech g25 wheel no longer self calibrates after driver update: i just got my g25 wheel working breifly though under 90/180 deg mode..couldnt calibrate properly???, ...anyway i needed to update gfx drivers, and for the first time in a while, i needed to reboot the sytem and then when it had restarted, the wheel is no longer self...
  10. after last update no excel files will open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after last update no excel files will open: get the following error - [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-last-update-no-excel-files-will-open/5bbdb225-def5-4c59-95c9-f92bb5d66e6a