Windows 10: Separating Accounts On The Same Computer

Discus and support Separating Accounts On The Same Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I have a desktop and I'm trying to set it up for both me and my mom to use it so I created her a local account. The problem that I'm having is every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by danitwelve91, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Separating Accounts On The Same Computer

So I have a desktop and I'm trying to set it up for both me and my mom to use it so I created her a local account. The problem that I'm having is every time I install a program or change a setting or add a file it automatically does the same on her account. So how do I separate it where I can have my own programs and files and she can have her own. I've changed her account to add her Microsoft account I've tried changing any setting I can think of under files and accounts, I've tried moving my user profile to a different partition, I've tried going under some weird setting and blocking her from the drive, I've googled it, youtubed it. The other thing that I wanted to try is I know back in the days of like windows 7 when you installed a program you could go under advanced and tell it where to install or under what user but it doesn't look like that is an option to do that any more so I've tried just downloading the installer to my user and installing it from there and that didn't work. Does anyone know how to fix this issue or maybe have the drive where all my stuff is on not show up on her account?

Thank you in advanced.

:)

danitwelve91, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Noor_Azam Win User
    Separate 2 computers from 1 Microsoft account

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you want to remove the Microsoft account from one of the two computers, I suggest to convert the Microsoft account to a local account on one of the computers. This will separate two computers from the same Microsoft account.

Please refer this article
    Switch your Windows 10 device to a local account

However, if you don’t want to convert the user account to a local account, then you need to use a different Microsoft email ID to separate two computers.

To use a different Microsoft email account on one of the computer, you first need to convert the current account to a local account by following the same steps provided in the article above, then click on
    Sign-in with Microsoft account instead option from settings and enter the different Microsoft credentials that you wish to use.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Noor_Azam, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Separating Accounts On The Same Computer

How to keep both computers its own separate unique settings under the same account?

Hi,

I would like to inform you that, to keep both computers its own separate unique settings, I suggest you to turn off the sync settings option on the computer.

Please follow the steps provided below to turn off the sync settings.

• Open Settings and click on Accounts.
    • Click on Sync your settings on the left side.
    • Under Sync settings, turn off the slider and check if that helps to resolve the issue.
    Please let us know if the above information helps to turn off the sync settings. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Separating Accounts On The Same Computer

1. Separating Accounts On The Same Computer - Similar Threads - Separating Accounts Same

2. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?: I was wondering if I could use the same external drive to back up two separate user profiles from the same computer. It is already used to backup one account, but it does not show to be setup as a backup drive for the other account. Can I just add it without messing anything...
  3. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?: I was wondering if I could use the same external drive to back up two separate user profiles from the same computer. It is already used to backup one account, but it does not show to be setup as a backup drive for the other account. Can I just add it without messing anything...
  4. Backup two separate windows user accounts on the same computer with the same external HDD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  6. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.: To explain what I'm trying to do I need to explain why I'm doing it:On my PC I have a work user and a personal user, the work user is solely used for work I work from home and the personal user is everything else like gaming, messaging etc.I switch between these users quite...
  7. Separate users on separate SSD's on the same computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Separate account on computer affecting first account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Separate account on computer affecting first account: Changes made in one account, such as taskbar position & locking, speaker & headset settings, and apps & the virtual machine auto activation change in the other account. How do I prevent the two non-linked accounts from affecting each other?...
  9. Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with having separate rdp instances to same computer: We have a computer with some specialty software that takes a couple hours to set up, we can’t use VNC due to it it not being encrypted and don’t want to open up our ssh ports to tunnel it. Is there a way to remote into a windows 10 desktop that doesn’t effect the user of the...
  10. How to separate two accounts associated with the same Microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to separate two accounts associated with the same Microsoft account: I don’t know how it happened but my son’s email account is now linked to my Microsoft account. In other words, we have two email accounts linked to the same Microsoft accounts. I want to separate our accounts. I tried to create another account for him but it is impossible...