Windows 10: Serial Mouse via USB not detected

Discus and support Serial Mouse via USB not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have just installed Windows 10 and my mouse no longer works. Its a specific adapted mouse (for disability) that connects via Serial (9-pin)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rustytulip, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Serial Mouse via USB not detected

Hi,

I have just installed Windows 10 and my mouse no longer works. Its a specific adapted mouse (for disability) that connects via Serial (9-pin) into a Serial-USB converter cable. The converter cable gets detected ok (as Prolific Serial-USB Adapter) but the Serial mouse running on the end of it doesn't work/get detected.

In Windows 7 it works fine and needed no addition drivers other than the the Prolific adapter. Can I tell if Windows is detecting its presence? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Russ,

:)

rustytulip, Mar 13, 2016

2. Mouse and keyboard input not working after windows 10 upgrade from windows 7.

I still have sporadic loss of Windows 10 recognizing USB mouse and keyboard, though they are recognized by the BIOS for F2, changing settings, etc. before the initial Windows splash screen. The LED on the mouse turns off as Windows boots as if Windows is
    intentionally turning off USB ports.

Suggestions below are at your own risk. If unsure, consult with a qualified computer technician. It is recommended you verify that you have backups of important information before modifying your computer system configuration.

As I mentioned before, one fix is to boot an install DVD, interrupt the install and enter recovery mode, then go back to a previous restore point - if you have one.

New: fix #2: if you are lucky enough to have a serial port and an old Microsoft or compatible serial mouse: power off, connect the mouse and boot. Windows should auto detect the serial mouse. You can click the disability icon on the sign-on screen to
    use on-screen keyboard to log on. Next, open the settings panel, hardware devices. Scroll to the bottom of the hardware list, then delete the devices in the hardware USB tree. The USB devices should be rebuilt at next boot. Shut down and disconnect the
    serial mouse. Boot up, and the USB should be detected and your keyboard and mouse should now work.

Bill in Akron, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Question about Nokia 700 with a mouse

That is correct no messages are displayed upon connecting mouse via USB OTG.

scoobyman---01, Mar 13, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Serial Mouse via USB not detected

Hello Russ *Smile

Have a look in Device Manager (right click on the start button to access) and see if the Prolific driver has been added and is working properly (i.e. no yellow exclamation mark).

Sometimes the newer drivers installed by Microsoft do not work on the generic Prolific Serial-USB adapters and you need to go back to an older driver which accepts these chips. If your adapter came with a driver I would install that one instead.

philc43, Mar 13, 2016
  5. Thanks for replying. I did use an older compatible driver and it kind-of works now. The only problem is that every time I reboot my PC, I have to delete the adapter from device manager, unplug the adapter from the USB port, then plug it back it again and then it works. Any idea what would cause this or how to fix?

Much appreciated,
    Russ.

rustytulip, Mar 24, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    I'm not sure I can help any further, I have not had any problem using mine with the older driver. Does the reboot cause the driver to change back to the newer one?

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Serial Mouse via USB not detected

1. Serial Mouse via USB not detected - Similar Threads - Serial Mouse via

2. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  3. Disable Monitor detection via USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Monitor detection via USB: Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64-bit 10.0, Build 17763I have a Siemens touch screen connected to my PC. Display port for the image, USB-B for the touch function. But now Windows always recognizes two screens, which leads to problems. Deactivating the second...
  4. Disable Monitor detection via USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Monitor detection via USB: Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64-bit 10.0, Build 17763I have a Siemens touch screen connected to my PC. Display port for the image, USB-B for the touch function. But now Windows always recognizes two screens, which leads to problems. Deactivating the second...
  5. Disable Monitor detection via USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Serial to usb driver

Serial to usb driver: hello everyone.I need help.I am using a serial to usb cable between a modbus slave device and my computer.I want to configure the usb port on my computer but cannot find it under device manager.My computer is running windows 10.Do I need to install a multiport serial driver...
  7. usb port not detecting mouse

usb port not detecting mouse: windows stopped detecting my mouse . When i connect my mouse then the light glows in the mouse and stops after some time ,first it stopped detecting on one port then after some days other ports also stopped working ,while everything else works fine on the usb port , my mouse...
  8. usb port not detecting mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb port not detecting mouse: windows stopped detecting my mouse . When i connect my mouse then the light glows in the mouse and stops after some time ,first it stopped detecting on one port then after some days other ports also stopped working ,while everything else works fine on the usb port , my mouse...
  9. Windows 10 battery not detected and usb mouse is not detected

Windows 10 battery not detected and usb mouse is not detected: Hi, I have this laptop https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vgn-series/vgn-cs3agh/specifications Ram : 3GB It was having windows vista pre installed. But, i have now windows 10 64-bit installed. Its now fully updated by using windows update. But, the...
  10. Mouse detected as USB Input Device

Mouse detected as USB Input Device: My wired optical mouse is detected first as unknown device and later gets detected as USB Input Device; I have a TOSHIBA Sattelite S40Dt-A with an upgraded Windows from 8 to 10. Any help?...