Windows 10: Serious battery life issues since installing 1903

Discus and support Serious battery life issues since installing 1903 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I bought my laptop in February 2019 and haven't used it for anything but work since then, very lightly. The only applications I've installed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ledokolya, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Serious battery life issues since installing 1903

I bought my laptop in February 2019 and haven't used it for anything but work since then, very lightly. The only applications I've installed in addition to those that came with the machine are Firefox, RStudio and Notepad2. I have also not altered the system in any way through scripts, tweaks or hacks, keep the machine updated and all the hardware drivers up to date.

Ever since the September update my battery life suddenly dropped from ~7 hours to ~4, and after 1903 I'm now lucky if the laptop lasts 3 hours and 30 minutes - and that's with light usage that involves, at the heaviest, a session in RStudio and maybe two tabs open in Firefox. The thing in settings that shows power usage and the battery report show no obvious battery hogging apps.

Right now it has been exactly three hours that the laptop has been disconnected from an outlet, out of which it spent about 90 minutes opened but idle with an instance of Acrobat Reader with one tab opened. All this time it's been in battery saving mode. The remaining charge is now 33% and the timer shows 1 hour and 33 minutes until power down.

Is there something specific to 1901 or 1903 that hogs power and if so, is there any way to disable it? The inability to last a workday is heavily interfering with my work which often requires me to use the laptop without hooking it up to an outlet.

submitted by /u/Ledokolya
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ledokolya, Dec 4, 2019

2. The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Dec 4, 2019
  3. The battery life

Hi boerab61,

Battery life varies from phone model to phone model, even when they're from the same OEM. For instance, the HTC Titan II has a different battery life than a HTC HD7. However, your particular battery life can be varied depending on several factors:

• Strength of your phone carrier signal. If you're in areas of low or terrible coverage, then your phone will consume more energy trying to maintain a connection with a cell tower.
    • High usage of GPS can also drain the battery quickly because the GPS sensor consumes a lot of energy. By the way, if you are using GPS a lot, you can actually improve battery life by leaving WiFi on, as Windows Phone can quickly pull geolocation info from
      WiFi routers, even if you're not connected to them.
    With that in mind, here's some suggestions to try to extend the life of your battery.

Reduce the load on your battery:

• Decrease screen brightness.

• Set Timeout duration on Backlight.

• Set Auto-Off Timeout duration for 1 minute or less (device turns off).
    • Throttle down your CPU speed.

• Remove external devices (SD Cards, etc)
    Turn off appropriate radios on your device:

• Turn off Bluetooth transceiver when not in use.

• Turn off WiFi transceiver when not in use (except when using GPS).

• Turn off GPS receiver when not in use.

• Turn off Cell transceiver when not in use.
    Change the way you do things with your device:

• Minimize media playback use.
    • Minimize use of e-mail and browsing.

• Once in a while (every few weeks), drain battery until dead, then recharge 100%
    • Keep a spare charger in your car and/or office.

Again, these are the ways you can consume battery life and yes, some are extreme but if you're serious about conserving your phone's battery, these are some great suggestions.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Dec 4, 2019
  4. Serious battery life issues since installing 1903

Laptop battery issue

I'm pretty sure the E1505 has "speed step" on it. Double checkthe speed step settings to make sure they are set for long battery life, maybe it's somehow reset itself?

thoughtdisorder, Dec 4, 2019
Thema:

Serious battery life issues since installing 1903

1. Serious battery life issues since installing 1903 - Similar Threads - Serious battery life

2. Battery life bug since 22h2 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery life bug since 22h2 update: Hello,In 2022, at the beginning of summer, I bought myself an ASUS Vivobook Pro 14x Oled. It is the N7400P model with an intel i5-11300H, an nvidia RTX 3050 capped at 40W, 16GB ram and an intel HBROEKNX0202AO optane ssd. Initially I installed windows 10 pro the 21h2 version....
  3. Battery life bug since 22h2 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery life bug since 22h2 update: Hello,In 2022, at the beginning of summer, I bought myself an ASUS Vivobook Pro 14x Oled. It is the N7400P model with an intel i5-11300H, an nvidia RTX 3050 capped at 40W, 16GB ram and an intel HBROEKNX0202AO optane ssd. Initially I installed windows 10 pro the 21h2 version....
  4. Life of battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Life of battery: My battery doesn't charge more than 52% though it is not old. What shall I do? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/life-of-battery/5e12fd9f-5d27-4239-8109-8a127234ad1f
  5. Battery Life.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery Life.: Hello everyone, I was just wonder if I need to buy a new battery since my battery life on lasts until it gets to about 55-70% battery then just turns off, I have tried taking the battery out and drain it but no good still dies at 60%. If you can help Please it would be great....
  6. battery life

battery life: How to get more battery life when not on the charger? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/f3b2c933-8858-437c-a547-63b7a31e7ed9
  7. the battery life

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    the battery life: My PC shots down at 57% battery and in think this is not good. Is something that happens continuously at the time the battery hits 57% and before it shouted down at 62%. Can you help me ?...
  8. battery life

battery life: what is the approx. life of the battery in my HP ENVY x360 touchsmart laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/782d5872-5675-4c2f-8ea6-ebed16048580
  9. Battery life

Battery life: kindly i need your support after i upgraded my windows to windows 10 the battery get drained while the pc is off and i don't know what to do for that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-life/07efec83-d943-4a1c-8b58-842af7ce93ba
  10. battery life

in Windows 10 Support
    battery life: good evening, has anyone noticed a shortened battery life with windows 10 or is around 2 hours good for a laptop battery to last without using the charger. I bought my dell e6410 with windows 7 ultimate on it but only used it for a little while that night before upgrading...